Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

p.s. does your left boob feel firm all over, or in places? if so try putting a warm flannel on it for a few mins then gently massaging the breast (upwards strokes). the warmth loosens up the milk so you can massage easier and if there's a blockage or excess somewhere it can help to clear it

It doesn't feel firm at all right now as Alex has just had that side for his bedtime snack, the pain isn't the same as a blocked duct, but I will try massaging it anyway.

I'm not sure how this thread works, but can I please be paired with a BF champion? I'm still finding it quite difficult and tiring and would love to have someone to moan to and get encouragement from without cluttering the breastfeeding forum. We had a rough night last night and I sat up crying at 2am because she just wanted to nurse and not sleep and I hate to wake my hubby as he has to work long days. Thanks!

Tigger -- wishing has already given you great advice.

I only wanted to add that for the first couple of months, I would get random shooting pains in my boobs. It happened before my supply regulated. It would be a random let down between feeds. I also have a very strong let down... and when it it very strong (even for it) a warm, almost painful, pins and needles like sensation starts at my chest way and flows down through my boobs, ending in the pins and needles sensation in my nipples.

However, it always happened in both boobs at the same time (as it was a let down). It sounds like yours might be more related to the blocked ducts, so ask about them. Also, have faith that the blocked ducts will become less frequent, or even clear up entirely, once your milk supply regulates!

:hugs:

Tigger -- wishing has already given you great advice.

I only wanted to add that for the first couple of months, I would get random shooting pains in my boobs. It happened before my supply regulated. It would be a random let down between feeds. I also have a very strong let down... and when it it very strong (even for it) a warm, almost painful, pins and needles like sensation starts at my chest way and flows down through my boobs, ending in the pins and needles sensation in my nipples.

However, it always happened in both boobs at the same time (as it was a let down). It sounds like yours might be more related to the blocked ducts, so ask about them. Also, have faith that the blocked ducts will become less frequent, or even clear up entirely, once your milk supply regulates!

:hugs:

Thanks TigerLady

I'm still getting the pains, although not as frequent today (so far). I don't get any let down feeling that I've noticed, although I wouldn't know what a let down felt like anyway. I'm glad to hear the blocked ducts will clear up over time.

Next question is about itchy boobs, are they normal? The good news is 2 days of not using any cream and my nipples don't feel anywhere near as sore, so I'm assuming it was either a lanolin allergy or just coincidental timing that now the latch is better the nipples have healed.

I'm also just started trying to pump a little each day to have a little back up bottle in the fridge, so OH can feed while I bath in peace or go for a swim. I have an avent hand pump, but I can only ever seem to get an oz out in about 15-20mins, by which time I'm bored and uncomfortable. I don't want to spend £40/month on hiring a hospital grade pump for such infrequent use, which home use electric pumps are worth buying? I'm looking on ebay, but don't really know which are good. If the avent ones are OK then it makes life easier as I have lots of avent bottles already, but no point spending the money on one if they are rubbish.

I'm not sure how this thread works, but can I please be paired with a BF champion? I'm still finding it quite difficult and tiring and would love to have someone to moan to and get encouragement from without cluttering the breastfeeding forum. We had a rough night last night and I sat up crying at 2am because she just wanted to nurse and not sleep and I hate to wake my hubby as he has to work long days. Thanks!

hey hun :hugs:

looks like ur in the horrible growth spurt stage they are the worse lol...im in one right now, the dreaded 4month 1 which lasts a while too...i was up from 1-5am last night while LO cluster fed constantly and wanted to play...im shatterd lol...if u want chat hun feel free :flower:

tigger - i've just bought a medela mini electric pump off ebay for £20 (they're £50+ in shops) and i definately recommend it! i have a fast letdown so am fortunate and can pump milk quickly with a manual but it made life sooooo much easier...no hand cramp, no getting bored, just held it to me boob and watched it fill up!

Glad it is a bit better, Tigger!

I get itchy nips every once in a while, but it doesn't last for more than an hour or so. For some reason I want to say they can be related to thrush???? Anyone else know if that is true?

As for pumps, Ebay is a great place! I have a double electric Ameda Purely Yours that has worked great for me. Most ladies really like the Medela ones, too. The swing seems very popular. Definitely worth the money. If you don't plan to pump often, then a single electric would probably be fine. I HAD to have a double electric as I have to pump 2x per day at work and can't spend 40 minutes per pumping session. :nope: Gotta do both bbs at once!

Glad it is a bit better, Tigger!

I get itchy nips every once in a while, but it doesn't last for more than an hour or so. For some reason I want to say they can be related to thrush???? Anyone else know if that is true?

You are right hun, i also get itchy nipples which can drive me potty at times and also i get it not on the actual nipple but around the edge at the base which can be murder as well.
Also try time with your bra off as some of mine make me itch like anything so try a different bra? :shrug:

Yea i get that too, pretty sure it's not thrush though. Don't you get spots or something if it is?

Hi everyone, my name is Rachel and I'm 28 years old. I had my little girl Amira on January 7th by csection.
My milk didn't come in right away due to it and then she ended up losing 13% of her birth weight because I wasn't producing enough and we had to suppliment with formula.
It's been almost a month and I'm still supplimenting with formula and I would love to be done with the formula.

I am taking domperidone, fenugreek and blessed thistle as well as compressing and I've rented a hospital grade breast pump that does both breasts at the same time and I use that as often as I can after nursing and inbetween feedings.
My breast milk is increasing but not very much and nowhere even close to what she needs. She'll finish off both breasts and then still take down anywhere from 50-150 ml afterwards.

Is there anything I can do to help increase my milk faster? Or has anyone else gone through this that can tell me how long I'm looking at before I can stop supplimenting? I'm feeling a bit hopeless (although I'm not going to give up) just because it doesn't seem to be increasing fast enough and she seems to be requiring more and more formula to suppliment each week.

If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it! :hugs:

150 ml = 5.07210341 US fluid ounces

A new baby up to 6 months only needs 3-4 ounces every couple of hours. Try feeding with the breast and then offering only 1 oz of formula or about 30 ml.

A baby will always overeat from a bottle. They may have increased spitting up, fussiness and gas. Feel free to PM me.

See this article about BFed babies stronger suck reflex resulting in overeating:

https://en.allexperts.com/q/Breastfeeding-1764/2009/4/breastfeeding-bottle-overeating.htm

^^ Agree with Oph! Just because a baby takes formula (or anything) from bottle after a nursing from the breast, doesn't mean they need it. :nope:

Honestly, I am kinda sad they made you supplement with formula in the first place. I had a section, too, and was told to expect my baby to loose as much as 15% of his birthweight before he started gaining. He lost 11% in two days. But started packing it on as soon as my milk came in.

Oph gave good advice. I would also start weaning down off formula right now.

If you are pumping, I assume you have some EBM on hand? Do you have 3-4 ounces handy? Can you feed that one feed and pump instead. See how much you get. If you get 3-4 ounces, then you are producing enough to feed from the breast only.

My 6.5 month old still only takes 3-4 ounces at a time. :thumbup:

I haven't pumped instead of nursing in a bit but last time I only managed to get about 20ml from both. (a while ago, I haven't checked in a while)

When I was at the hospital they said 13% was too much and that I should seriously consider supplimenting. The whole 13% really scared us and we decided to suppliment.

We've had a good day so far (it's 9:44pm right now) and she's only had the formula once, she had 75ml and she's been on the boobs most of the day.
She started out the first few feedings not wanting formula so I decided to go with it, I did give her some around 7:30pm to calm her down because she definitely didn't end up being happy about the lack of food but she's mostly ok. I don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonight but if it results in her not being on formula then it's totally worth it.

Thank you for your help! Let's hope this is it!

try rocking - the girlies have given you great advice, i just wanted to add a little to it. not sure how much you know about BFing, but it works on a supply and demand basis...if you're supplementing with formula you're not giving your boobs the right message on how much milk to produce (i know you gave formula on advice of docs but now's perhaps the time to reduce or cut it out altogether...?) I would suggest putting LO to breast as often as she seems to ask (google hunger cues in a newborn and you'll see she gives off loads of early ones you can pick up on like cycling her arms and legs), that way her suckling even if she's not properly drinking tells your breasts to produce more and more milk and within 2-3 days your supply adjusts accordingly to the demands she puts on it

you're doing great hun, keep it up :)

We had a terrible night last night. Alex wouldn't settle until well gone 4am :cry: He was sick quite a few times, sometimes stringy mucus type sick and others just milk coming back. He is also a bit snuffly, could a cold be causing the sick? Once he was sick while I was feeding him so we were both covered in it. He cried a lot, nothing much helped, if he did doze off on me, he soon woke when I put him down. I even put him in bed with me to try and settle him (his favourite place to sleep) but he still didn't stop. I nursed him several times which kept him quiet for a short while but still no luck. Does it sound like colic?

Second question, I feel like my boobs are badly bruised, both of them hurt and it feels different to the beginnings of a blocked duct. Literally liked an elephant has trampled on them :(

Finally, my nipples are getting very sore again and latching is quite painful. I stopped using cream a couple of weeks ago as I think I'm allergic to it and my nipples felt so much better for a while. I thought we had got through the painful latch stage and moved onto the more enjoyable BF.

I look forward to hearing your words of wisdom :hugs:

As far as I know, for 'colic' to be diagnosed, the problem needs to have been going on consistently for a period of time... it could be that - but I wouldn't like to assume it is at this early stage (also, colic is not a condition or illness as such, it is just a description for a set of symptoms that have no apparent explanation).

It could possibly be reflux - but again it's very early to say.

If your LO has a cold, this could cause sickness, especially mucousy sick. Also, if he can't breathe through his nose, this will make it impossible for him to sleep and cause upset (young babies can't sleep breathing through their mouths).

For the cold - try propping your bed/his cot/his basket up at the head end using books or something similar. A few drops of breastmilk up baby's nose using a syringe (you can get them from the chemist) should help a blocked or snuffly nose (as will saline drops, but you need to pay for them and they don't contain antibodies). A humidifier (expensive) or wet towel over the radiator in LO's room (cheaper!) can help. So can inhalants (ask the chemist).

If he is feeling a bit poorly - he is likely to be clingy.

He might also be having a growth spurt.

Regarding the bruised feeling - any chance you might be getting a little engorged if LO's feeding has been erratic? Are they hard or lumpy?

What cream were you using? Have you tried Lanisoh? It is very good (sorry if this was what you were using) and you can use it for all sorts of things (lip balm, for dry skin on baby, to help dribble rash etc etc)

It is normal for your nipples to get sore if feeding has been erratic or more frequent than usual. If the pain doesn't start to improve or gets worse I wonder if it'd be worth getting your latch checked? :hugs::hugs:

Thanks Petal, I was using kamillosan and the most likely ingredient to cause reaction is the lanolin hence my reluctance to spend £10 on lansinoh.

His nose doesn't look blocked, as for putting drops of breastmilk up his nose, does him being sick milk out of his nose count :) :( I had forgotten the raising the head end of the basket trick.

I don't think i'm getting engorged, they feel too floppy rather than full and hard.

I know the BF is all new to me, but I can't believe how much of my 14 years nannying I've forgotten, it is so much more difficult when it's your own and you are sleep deprived, even common sense is forgotten.

I will be making a trip to baby clinic this week to get latch checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->