Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

He's 4 weeks 2 days. where can i get enugreek or a mother's milk tea? I'm willing to try anything, kinda feel like a failure being not able to supply him with enough milk :( xx

After 4 weeks it is also possible that your supply has regulated itself so that you won't feel full before feeding. Does he seem satisfied after feeds? or is he left wanting more?

I found the best way is to offer the breast often as the suckling can help boost supply too.. Fenugreek and stuff can be found in most health food shops.

As Ophelia says formula makes babies gain weight differently to breast, so that will make a difference!

Oh and you're most definately NOT a failure! Very few woman are actually unable to supply enough milk!

I am working to get my supply up and get back to exclusive BF and was wondering how often I should change breasts and how long my breasts will take to fill up after a feed.

I am spending hours nursing Harry at the mo which I don't have a problem with and I change boobs when he fusses, but i don't want him to be hungry if changing boobs more often eill fill him up more. He is also falling asleep whilst sucking.

Thanks

Quick q, should I be worried about the clicking noise my LO makes if everything else (nappies, weight gain, milestones, etc) is fine? Can it pose problems for me down the line? She is a great feeder and averages 9 oz gain per week since 2 wks old. I ask because my SIL seems to think it's a major issue.

I always thought clicking noises meant your latch wasn't great... It may be worth checking it out!

Girl friday... Can you try expressing in between to help build up your supply? Also for falling asleep I used to change half way through feeding which would wake him up nicely for the second feed! Or less extreme try tickling or stroking their foot.

Just found this thread what a great idea! Have saved it for when i need advice.

I too have just found this thread.... What a great idea!!!
My little girl is only 5 days old and i am really keen to BF as i didn't manage it with my DS. However, my nipples are already cracked and sore and bleeding. It hurts just having clothes on! I just wondered how long i can expect that first bit of feeding to be so painful, as i'm not sure how much more of it i can take. Really want to make BF work :cry:

I too have just found this thread.... What a great idea!!!
My little girl is only 5 days old and i am really keen to BF as i didn't manage it with my DS. However, my nipples are already cracked and sore and bleeding. It hurts just having clothes on! I just wondered how long i can expect that first bit of feeding to be so painful, as i'm not sure how much more of it i can take. Really want to make BF work :cry:

Lansinoh is amazing for sore and cracked nipples! It will also stop your breast pads from sticking to your nipples. If it is hurting I'd get your positioning and baby's latch checked too just to make sure baby isn't sucking on your nipples as that will REALLY hurt! Good luck.

Yup, good advice there.

First, make sure the latch is good. Second, it is not unheard of to get that kind of soreness even with a good latch.

I had cracked, bleeding, blistered nipples (with a good latch, checked by nurses) for about 3 weeks at most. Use LOTS of lanisnoh cream before (won't hurt baby), after and in between feedings. I found that a bra that was super supportive and smooshed me right down was helpful, too. Then I lathered on the cream, put on breast pads, and put on the bra. Anytime I felt the cream wear off, I added more.

Also, it can help to let your nipples air dry for a few minutes after each feed before packing them all up.

It will pass! But, yes, it is very painful in the meantime. I just kept at the treatment and suddenly, one day, realized I hadn't used any cream and that my nipples no longer hurt. :happydance:

Thanks TigerLady and Muddles! Thats reassuring to know that it will pass! :happydance:
I've been leaving my boobs out in the open as much as possible (obviously only at home :dohh: !!!!), but will try keeping them the bra on to see if that makes a difference.
I went to a BF support group and got them to watch me feed, they were happy with the latch, but to be honest, I think DD is latching onto the nipple rather that the breast so i'm not really sure how I can change this? :shrug:
Thanks again for the advice! :hugs:

Thanks TigerLady and Muddles! Thats reassuring to know that it will pass! :happydance:
I've been leaving my boobs out in the open as much as possible (obviously only at home :dohh: !!!!), but will try keeping them the bra on to see if that makes a difference.
I went to a BF support group and got them to watch me feed, they were happy with the latch, but to be honest, I think DD is latching onto the nipple rather that the breast so i'm not really sure how I can change this? :shrug:
Thanks again for the advice! :hugs:

You could try changing the position you are using for feeding as your baby may have a preferred position for feeding in.

https://pregnancy.about.com/od/breastfeedinginfo/ss/breastpositions.htm

I used the above website to help me in the first 6 days before I found out the following.

It was by leaving my boobs exposed to the air I found my baby would latch himself on for a feed and when he does this his latch is way better than when I try to latch him on. He was 6 days old when he first latched by himself and he has been doing it ever since. I put him on my chest upright, so he had his head on my shoulder, he then wriggled around and gradually worked his way round to my nipple and next thing i knew he was feeding!

You can also get her to gape really wide and then shove the boob in her mouth. Literally. Hold your boob in your hand, pinching the end a bit to make the nipple and areola pointy-ish, rub the tip against her cheek and lips a few times, look for a really wide open gape, then quickly stuff her mouth full of boob.

Hehe, sounds funny, but it often works. :thumbup:

Muddles, will try a few of the other positions to see if any of them are any less painful!

TigerLady, I tried doing that a few times, but she seems to latch on, have a few mouthfuls and then comes off again, so have to repeat several times to get her to stay on, which causes more pain!!!

Have started trying to use a nipple protector in hope that it will give my boobs time to heal. Fingers crossed it works!

:hugs:

Wish4another - I had a LO who had a rubbish latch, he did learn in the end, it was a slow process for us as I had mastitis and blocked ducts which kept setting us back.

These ladies in here are brilliant and without them I would have given up.

I would love a bf champion. I'm 25 and Albert is my first babba. Started off really well with the feeding but I'm now getting paranoid that I'm doing something wrong! x

DJ, what do you feel is going wrong? Do you have specific concerns?

A seems to be quite lazy when feeding and 'falls off' my boob! He also seems to be constantly fussing for more and only seems satisfied for 20 minutes or so. I just feel like i'm not able to give him enough!

As for not giving him enough, he is at the normal age for his first growth spurt. It is expected that he will seem constantly not satisfied, fussy at the boob (especially at the end of a feed) and want to feed what seems like ALL the time. I used to look at Otter during a spurt and say to him "REALLY?!?! Seriously?? You cannot possibly want to feed again already!" But he did!

Spurts last anywhere from a few days up to a week. The key is to let them nurse and suck as often and for as long as they want. If you really commit to that, the spurt will be shorter. The extra feeding and sucking is what will prompt your boobs to increase supply to match the baby's needs. So, soon enough, your boobs will produce more milk more quickly and LO will get a bigger feed in one go. The feedings will spread back out to more normal intervals then (probably anywhere from 1-3 hours at his age).

As for being a lazy feeder and falling off -- can you explain that a little more? Does he fall asleep? Or just unlatch and relatch frequently? If it is from falling asleep, you can tickle him, rub him, play with his hands and feet, rub his cheeks, etc to keep him awake and sucking. Rubbing his cheek when he stops stucking is espeically helpful to start the sucking again. It is a reflex at that age -- rubbed cheek cues them to root and suck.

That makes sense for it to be a growth spurt! I do say to him 'No way.. you CAN'T be hungry still!'

He does sometimes fall asleep, in which case I tickle a spot on his back to get him going again. But even when he's awake sometimes it's like he gets bored of sucking but keeps boob in his mouth. As soon as I move him away he decides he wants to carry on and ends up sucking right on the end of my nipple. I've been thinking maybe his latch hasn't been great to start with, but surely I'd have been sore by now!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->