Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hi ladies I'd like a champion please I have a few questions to ask and need support
xx

Miss Bump.. what in particular do you want to know?

i need some help please, my lo feeds every 4 hours through the day, but at night she only seems to be going every 2, when she wakes i will bring her into bed and feed her and she will go stright back to sleep but then wake 2 hours later. Do you think that she is not waking as she is hungry and she is just using my boob to help her back to sleep? should i be trying to get her back to sleep without offering her my breast. i think im doing it all wrong?

i need some help please, my lo feeds every 4 hours through the day, but at night she only seems to be going every 2, when she wakes i will bring her into bed and feed her and she will go stright back to sleep but then wake 2 hours later. Do you think that she is not waking as she is hungry and she is just using my boob to help her back to sleep? should i be trying to get her back to sleep without offering her my breast. i think im doing it all wrong?

:hugs: Sounds like you're doing everything right!

I remember Alyssa going through a huge growth spurt when she was about 3 months old; most babies tend to go through a big growth spurt at this stage. Physical growth and developmental advances are responsible for this. Nursing as frequently as your LO wants is key; she is likely hungry if she's waking at this stage. You cannot spoil a BF baby - offering the breast is the right thing to do :)

Keep it up, you're doing great :)

x

thank you

its doesnt feel like im doing it right, my mum is telling me that she should be in her cot in her own bedroom now and that it is us that keeps waking her. but she used to go 3-4hours at night and even when my Oh was coughing last night she didnt even flinch.

You definitely are doing it right! :hugs: There is a 3 month growth spurt :) And you put your LO in her own room when it's right for you and your LO - tell your mum so :hugs:

gemgti - you've had some sound advice there already :)
AnnaBanana is right; you can't spoil a BF baby.
It might be an idea for you to tell your mum that SIDS guidelines recommend baby sleeps in your room until at least 6 months ;)
I'd completely agree with the growth spurt thing too. G is having his 6 month one a little early I think, as he was waking to feed a lot last night.
It's fine, it's natural and you're not doing anything wrong - in fact, it sounds like you really are doing everything right!

Listen to your baby and your instincts honey - only you know whats right ;) xxxx

Thank you ladies for all your advice and support :hugs:, i will carry on as i have been, i do keep telling my mum she is sleeping in our room till she is 6 months and she iscurrently asleep in her moses basket, not sure how much longer she will fit in it thou lol x

Hello champs, i've got a question.

BFing has been really tough because of K's jaundice but we are finally getting in to the swing of things. I was exclusively expressing for ten days but he is back on the boobie now and getting proper feeds every time, usually every 4 hours in the day. However at night my supply runs so low and he takes forever to feed, so I give him two bottles of EBM in the night- one at 1ish, then another at 4ish. I express when I wake up (8ish) and before I go to bed (midnightish) to make those two bottles.

Everything I have read says I should be pumping throughout the night too... but to be honest I can barely stay awake to give him the bottle as it is, i'm alone and exhausted and just can't bring myself to sit at the table pumping in the middle of the night after I've spent ages feeding him, too :( it's been 5 days of this routine and it seems to be working really really well, but i'm worried that leaving my boobs for 8 hours overnight is going to either give me mastitis or engorgement, or my supply will dry up.

Any advice? :flower:

What is it that makes you think your supply is low hun? Because he's taking a long time to finish? How long does he feed for on the breast at night, and how long usually in the day?
Could it be that he's falling asleep during the night feeds?

Unfortunately I think you are risking problems by going 8 hours without feeding/pumping, not so much of a problem in a few months once your supply is established, but until then your boobs need to know that LO is hungry.

Have you thought about co-sleeping? He can take as long as he likes to feed then - you can sleep or doze! He'll get more efficient as he gets bigger too.

Sometimes I feel like I just can't cope with the BF'ing anymore. It's only been just over 3 weeks and I get so frustrated that I end up crying pretty much every night. I have given the odd bottle of formula (maybe 1-2 a week) and it's so much easier and I'm less stressed...but I feel so guilty and horrible doing it because I have said all along that I wanted to BF.

I'm having a very difficult time and I'm not sure why. Her latch is good (at least I think so..I don't have any pain or cracked nipples, blisters etc)..but my problem is that she is constantly falling asleep! I have tried everything! I go to Breastfeeding clinics once a week to have her weighed and to get BF'ing advice, but nothing works! The nurses tell me she is gaining weight really slow too (1 oz in 3 days)...so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I try to keep her awake while she's BF'ing, but eventually she just passes out to everything I try. I try tickling her, setting her down on a hard surface, BF'ing her in her diaper only, massaging the milk down on my breasts, using a cold wet wash cloth to touch on her back to jolt her awake....just nothing seems to work!

Then she seems to be hungry ALL the time...like ALL day long. I can BF her on and off for like 6hrs and I feel like I have no life and feel like a cow where all I do is BF. I'm embarassed to have anyone come over to the house or to go anywhere in public because I don't want to BF in public.

My hubby has been great and trying to keep me focused and motivated, but I am having a very hard time with it. I get so stressed and am bawling every night while my hubby is sleeping.

Any suggestions?

*ALSO*
I find my hands cramping a lot too because I have to hold my boobs back out of the way. My boobs are big and they always seem to be blocking her nose...

What is it that makes you think your supply is low hun? Because he's taking a long time to finish? How long does he feed for on the breast at night, and how long usually in the day?
Could it be that he's falling asleep during the night feeds?

Unfortunately I think you are risking problems by going 8 hours without feeding/pumping, not so much of a problem in a few months once your supply is established, but until then your boobs need to know that LO is hungry.

Have you thought about co-sleeping? He can take as long as he likes to feed then - you can sleep or doze! He'll get more efficient as he gets bigger too.

Thanks for replying :flower:

I've got a Arms Reach cot which is fab.. but I just can't seem to get to grips with feeding lying down at all. I'm a bigger girl anyway so my belly seems to be in the way, and my huge saggy boobs squash his face. I've tried propping him up and all sorts but it just doesn't seem to work. Plus his latch is pretty pathetic at the best of times so I have to really really work to latch him on and keep him latched on in the daytimes as it is, so half asleep at night isn't really likely.

He feeds in the day for about 30 minutes but by the evenings he's screaming on my boob and no matter how much I express it just trickles out.. my boobs are tiny by the end of the day too. Probably because of the overnight thing :dohh: maybe I should just face facts and set my alarm and get up and express... sigh.

We didn't master the lying down feeds for quite a while (3 or 4 months). The first few weeks are tough, but it does get easier. Your supply is still trying to regulate to your LO at this early stage. Plus it is almost continual growth spurts until 6 weeks old

Quoting from kellymom.com
When do babies have growth spurts?
Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently.

As much as you can just keep feeding and keep in mind this will pass and it will be easier soon. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day (and eating well) to help your supply.

venusrockstar, it sounds like you are using all the tricks to keep LO awake for feeds, I can't think of any others at the moment. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will have an idea for you :hugs: Don't give up, it does get easier soon.

Jetters when you lie down on your side which boob are you using to try feed? I've found if I lie on my left I use the right then vice versa, your boobs really are a supply demand so i'd say the more you feed the more you will make. If he's crying more at night it could be he's got a bit of a lazy suckle at night as it's harder to get milk from the boob than from a bottle. I found a great article on FB as well about newborn behaviour

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=101949363196728&id=134844053221572&ref=mf

Sometimes I feel like I just can't cope with the BF'ing anymore. It's only been just over 3 weeks and I get so frustrated that I end up crying pretty much every night. I have given the odd bottle of formula (maybe 1-2 a week) and it's so much easier and I'm less stressed...but I feel so guilty and horrible doing it because I have said all along that I wanted to BF.

I'm having a very difficult time and I'm not sure why. Her latch is good (at least I think so..I don't have any pain or cracked nipples, blisters etc)..but my problem is that she is constantly falling asleep! I have tried everything! I go to Breastfeeding clinics once a week to have her weighed and to get BF'ing advice, but nothing works! The nurses tell me she is gaining weight really slow too (1 oz in 3 days)...so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I try to keep her awake while she's BF'ing, but eventually she just passes out to everything I try. I try tickling her, setting her down on a hard surface, BF'ing her in her diaper only, massaging the milk down on my breasts, using a cold wet wash cloth to touch on her back to jolt her awake....just nothing seems to work!

Then she seems to be hungry ALL the time...like ALL day long. I can BF her on and off for like 6hrs and I feel like I have no life and feel like a cow where all I do is BF. I'm embarassed to have anyone come over to the house or to go anywhere in public because I don't want to BF in public.

My hubby has been great and trying to keep me focused and motivated, but I am having a very hard time with it. I get so stressed and am bawling every night while my hubby is sleeping.

Any suggestions?

*ALSO*
I find my hands cramping a lot too because I have to hold my boobs back out of the way. My boobs are big and they always seem to be blocking her nose...

Hi you are doing great babies often fall asleep when feeding, I found it can take a while to find the thing that will wake them up. It was gently blowing on LO's face that worked for us.

In regards to big boobs and baby not getting air they will be fine, if you look at your babies nose those little crease that go up the sides, they allow air to flow up the nose (I was worried at first about big boobs and breathing)

Hi Champs
Please can someone help?
Isla is 16 weeks old tomorrow, and for the first 12 weeks we have have an absolutely blissful breastfeeding relationship. I feel like this is going down the pan, and am absolutely devastated.
To give an explaination, things started to slip about a month ago, when I noticed that she didn't want to feed when there were people she didn't know around - my brother and his wife came to visit, and she began to get really fussy and I could only feed successfully lying down on our bed. This has continued to the extent that for instance, when we had a long train journey (5 hours) I found it almost impossible to feed her, although did manage it to a certain extent it really felt like a struggle. I think struggle is the word that sums things up at the moment with daytime feeding.
We co-sleep, and nighttime feeding is easy and abundant. She feeds well without breaking her latch for the duration 2 or three times a night. Her bed time feed is good as well. Her feeds in the day though are just getting like a battle and I really really know that that is not a good thing. I am trying to hold off, offering a lot and trying not to put my feelings onto her (does not always work) but things seem to be deteriorating - only during the day though)
For instance, today, Isla grazed in bed this morning - we had a long nap, but now one of my breasts is getting pretty full and she is just not interested to the extent of crying when she sees me undoing my bra.
Our relationship in other areas is fine - I carry her everywhere, she is a happy, alert, bright little girl.
I am getting upset about this and would really appreciate some help guidance and wise words.
I feel ashamed to be in the situation that I am and feel that I have somehow created this.
Help!!!:wacko:

You havent created it at all sweetie!
Around 4/5 moths it's common for babies to start being more interested in their surroundings and be very distractable (to the point of not wanting to feed incase they miss something)

I havent got much advice other than to try as much as possible to feed her in a dark quiet room. It might just be that this nosey period has started after a fussy period when you had guests.
Is she still gaining weight and having wet/dirty nappies?

Hopefully someone else will be along to offer more advice :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->