Getting a cat (Siamese) while TTC?

Violina

Reaction score
We have been TTC for almost a year and I would like to get a Siamese cat (indoor) now. This breed is very affectionate but also demanding and craving for attention. I would love to have a cat I can cuddle, look after, play even during pregnancy. However I’m afraid if I manage to look after both when the baby arrives? Does anyone have the similar experience?

I don't have any experience with that scenario since I already had a cat when I got pregnant. However, I wanted to warn you that if you never had a cat and were to get pregnant and get a disease called toxoplasmosis that cats can transmit, it can be a very grim outlook for an unborn baby. So before you adopt a cat I would probably ask your doctor if they could do a blood test on you to see if you had it, or wait till after the baby is born to get a cat. The added bonus to that would be that the cat would not get jealous when the new family member arrives. Good luck!

I don't have any experience with that scenario since I already had a cat when I got pregnant. However, I wanted to warn you that if you never had a cat and were to get pregnant and get a disease called toxoplasmosis that cats can transmit, it can be a very grim outlook for an unborn baby. So before you adopt a cat I would probably ask your doctor if they could do a blood test on you to see if you had it, or wait till after the baby is born to get a cat. The added bonus to that would be that the cat would not get jealous when the new family member arrives. Good luck!
Thank you for your advise

I want to chime in that if your cat is 100% indoors then the likelihood of it (and thereby you) getting toxoplasmosis is very low. Toxoplasmosis is caused from a bacteria in the fecal matter and takes over a day to transmit, so be sure to wear gloves and clean the litter box daily. Outdoor cats tend to pick it up from toilet ig outdoors or killing animals. So if your cat isn’t hunting things or being fed raw meat, it’s unlikely to come in contact with it. You do have to be more careful if you’re adopting a cat that was once a stray. My cat passed away before I had my son, but she was super low maintenance. I have two herding dogs who are stage four clingers, and they’re just fine. I do feel bad how much less attention they get now, but they’re doing just fine lol. If you want a cat, go for it. Is it generally easier to get a pet after the child? Yes. But meh. Tons of people have pets before kids. Literally all of my friends with pets had pets before kids. They’re adaptable.

I want to chime in that if your cat is 100% indoors then the likelihood of it (and thereby you) getting toxoplasmosis is very low. Toxoplasmosis is caused from a bacteria in the fecal matter and takes over a day to transmit, so be sure to wear gloves and clean the litter box daily. Outdoor cats tend to pick it up from toilet ig outdoors or killing animals. So if your cat isn’t hunting things or being fed raw meat, it’s unlikely to come in contact with it. You do have to be more careful if you’re adopting a cat that was once a stray. My cat passed away before I had my son, but she was super low maintenance. I have two herding dogs who are stage four clingers, and they’re just fine. I do feel bad how much less attention they get now, but they’re doing just fine lol. If you want a cat, go for it. Is it generally easier to get a pet after the child? Yes. But meh. Tons of people have pets before kids. Literally all of my friends with pets had pets before kids. They’re adaptable.
Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer. I remember I came across some forum where women strongly advised again of getting a pet before getting pregnant because it would be very difficult to look after both. However I have no idea how long it will take us to TTC, moreover like you said a lot of people have had already the pets before a baby.

You know honestly I used to be one of those people. And sure it’s nice for the kids to be involved and grow up with the pet, but idk. There’s pros and cons either way. I have complete faith that you can manage a kitty and a baby. Once you have the baby, there will be even more reasons to put off getting a cat. And like you said there’s no predicting how long ttc will be. Cats are fun. Get a cat ;).

My own experience:

Before ttc, we did our research and got a Persian chinchilla. Other than the grooming and maintenance (which wasn't bad at all for us) he was so affectionate, soo lazy and cuddly (more active as a kitten), used his litter box like a champ from the start. He was amazing. Probably played for about 15 mins a day.

When I got pregnant he would massage my belly and sleep right next to me by my pillow. He was very respectful of baby's space when he arrived and would approach very gently and sit close or underneath his rocker etc. My son is 5 now and he is still so gentle with him.

The only thing I could fault is when he gets stressed, he may wee in a corner and hide. Oh he is also a complete indoor cat. Can't even jump on the kitchen counter lol.

My own experience:

Before ttc, we did our research and got a Persian chinchilla. Other than the grooming and maintenance (which wasn't bad at all for us) he was so affectionate, soo lazy and cuddly (more active as a kitten), used his litter box like a champ from the start. He was amazing. Probably played for about 15 mins a day.

When I got pregnant he would massage my belly and sleep right next to me by my pillow. He was very respectful of baby's space when he arrived and would approach very gently and sit close or underneath his rocker etc. My son is 5 now and he is still so gentle with him.

The only thing I could fault is when he gets stressed, he may wee in a corner and hide. Oh he is also a complete indoor cat. Can't even jump on the kitchen counter lol.

Thank you very much for your answer. I used to have a Persian cat in the past (when I lived in a different country) and yes, I had a similar experience. However its hair was everywhere, my all clothes were covered with a cat fur.
Now I’ve got more free time and I am thinking about more active cat without much hair that’s why I chose a Siamese one (but I’m not sure for 100%). I wish you the best with your baby and such a lovely cat.

From someone who had 2 boisterous dogs and a cat when my first was born I'm gonna say do it now . Yes you will manage and also by the time you conceive and baby is here your kitty will be older and a bit more chilled out by then rather than a baby cat that is all claws all the time.

From someone who had 2 boisterous dogs and a cat when my first was born I'm gonna say do it now . Yes you will manage and also by the time you conceive and baby is here your kitty will be older and a bit more chilled out by then rather than a baby cat that is all claws all the time.
Thank you very much for your answer. I am bringing a kitten today and I am super excited.

Thank you for all who gave me advices about the cat/pets. I finally took the Siamese kitten in December, treated him like a baby, he has been giving us so much happiness but he has been also very demanding and…a month later I got pregnant

But be aware: Siamese cats are like babies, they won’t sit and sleep alone, they will be always next to you. Extremely cuddly and affectionate cats. Now I’m thinking about getting another one

I am afraid you won't be able to cuddle the Siamese, they are very demaning and vocal.In my opinion the breed is perfect for sinlge persons. If you wish to have a friendly furry baby, here are the friendliest breeds you can cuddle: https://meowpassion.com/breeds/friendliest-cat-breeds/ Hope this helps.

Do you mean taking a different one? We have got a Siamese already and he is great but I can agree very demanding. A month later after getting a cat I got pregnant. And now I feel like I’m having a toddler at home and growing a baby inside me.

Do you mean taking a different one? We have got a Siamese already and he is great but I can agree very demanding. A month later after getting a cat I got pregnant. And now I feel like I’m having a toddler at home and growing a baby inside me.
Each cat is very individual, I hope yours will be very affectionate, But, like I said, the Siamese is very demanding and vocal breed.

I got a cat while I was pregnant, but it was just a shelter cat and not a Siamese. It worked out fine for me. Good luck with your new pet and baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->