Getting a new (ish) cat...

lovenoel

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I am 4 weeks 1 day pregnant as of today...and we are getting a new(ish) cat.

When I was in college, my boyfriend at the time and I got a kitten and named her Lani. A few years passed, my bf and I broke up - I moved into an apartment that didn't allow pets, so I gave Lani to my father, who has had her for the past 8 years or so.

Fast forward and now he's gotten engaged and my husband and I have just purchased a new home. He asked if he could drive up for Christmas and gift Lani back to me as he is going to move in with his fiance and they cannot take her with them. I said sure, seeing as how she was my cat originally and now I've got the space/time for her.

Little did I know that I was going to get a + pregnancy test. My dad and his fiance are already driving up from Florida to Mass and have Lani in the car with them - they are arriving today. He can't keep her and I couldn't rescind my offer in good conscience knowing that she would likely end up in a pound.

I guess my question is this - I know that having cats during pregnancy can be managed - my husband already plans on doing daily litter duty, but everywhere I've read says "Do not get a new cat while pregnant". Do I need to be concerned? She has always been an indoor cat and will be with us as well. I have had recent (limited) exposure to cats as well - up until the middle of November my husband and I were staying with my in-laws until we closed on our house. They have 2 cats.

Other than making sure my husband changes the litter and that I wash my hands frequently and often, is there anything else I can do (other than sending my dad away with Lani, which I'm sure he would be upset about)?

I can't voice my concerns to my father as we are not telling anyone I am pregnant unless we make it to 12 weeks.

Thank you for any and all advice!

Please don't worry especially if she has been an indoor cat her whole life! I have 3 cats and my RE said as long as I don't do litter duty the chances of getting TP are very slim. Just make sure Lani stays an indoor cat and that she has some special kitty places just for her when you get her. Cat beds and climbers are great. Sometimes cats are traumatized after being moved and if they are stressed they can have accidents while determining their new surroundings. The last thing that will help your situation is if Lani has an accident in your new house! After a couple of weeks she will come around...maybe sooner! Merry Christmas and enjoy the new addition(s) to your family!:cat::yellow:

Im sure it will be fine just keep away from litter duty..

I got a puppy when pregnant with my daughter... I now also have 2 cats! you'll be fine... Like you said your hubby will do litter x

Thank you everyone! I feel much better. They will be here in 2 hours! :)

I have a cat and I'm single so I changed her litter. She has always been indoor so both my OB and my vet said all would be fine. I really didn't do anything different while pregnant concerning the cat. I always wash my hands after cleaning her litter box and just continued doing that and that's it. She loved laying on my bump. One time the baby kicked and the cat jumped; it was so funny. Have fun with your new addition :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->