Getting a new job while pregnant-FMLA-what would you do?

Eren

Reaction score
So I graduated in december with my degree in teaching. I will be job hunting for this upcoming school year. I am 5 weeks pregnant.

Interviews are coming up and many people are telling me not to say anything about the pregnancy... to just get the job and then spring into the office a week later saying "oh I just found out Im pregnant!"

Im so uncomfortable with this because I feel so guilty! What should I do? On a plus side, the baby would be born around Thanksgiving, when the kids are on a lot of holiday breaks. Id be able to return shortly after all the holidays.

Should I be honest and tell them... or keep it secret...

Does anyone have any experience with FMLA? As in, will i be able to get FMLA even though I just received a cotract with the school?

I've no idea what FMLA is, probably just an American thing? So can't help you there but in regards to telling them during interviews I'm 90% sure it will have a negative impact of you getting the job, employers even in this day and age look at pregnancy as an inconvenience, possible sickness leading to absences, time off for appointments, and realistically babies don't stick to their due date alot of the time so the whole being born at Thanksgiving time will probably be irrelevant to them. How far along will you be at the time of these interviews? I know it doesn't feel right morally, but I'd be inclined to not say anything.

I dont know how it works over there but in the UK you do not legally have to tell your employer until week 25. I would keep quiet if you have similar laws. It probably wont go down very well but if it's the difference between you getting the job and not getting it, I'd stay quiet for the time being. If they ask why you never mentioned at interview stage just tell them you were waiting til your 12 week scan. I think thats more than reasonable.

Tbh the maternity leave in the US is so short I'd keep quiet, in Ireland you get 6 months paid and 6 months unpaid so it has a bigger impact.

FMLA varies among different companies. And typically you need to be with a c9mpany for a year or work so many hours before they will grant you time off. I mean, they can give you time off but can’t guarentee you’ll still have that position without FMLA. I would also keep quiet, you’re so early on that it’s easy to hide and it’s not like they can go back and fire you for not mentioning it. I know it’s against the law to discriminate and take pregnancy into a factor of hiring but it happens so often, they really only have to say you’re under qualified

I'm my office, you have to be employed for at least 6 months before you are eligible for fmla, so I would be careful of your dates. Maternity leave in the US is atrocious.

So I've had two experiences with fmla, first one I started the job pregnant I was 5 months, I went into early labor 2 months later, and they were on top of it I started getting paid immediately and this was for a department store! The second time I was in a very high up position had the job for 4 years before becoming pregnant and I had to use all my vacation pay comp time and personal days before they would start it, and you had to be there over 6 months, but everyone got payed the same, whether you made $10 an hour or $30 an hour bull crap so in my opinion I'd hide it, they cannot say they're not hiring you because of it, but I know I was told many times not to when doing my hiring!

I had been at my job for 4 years when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't tell them until 18 weeks. None of their business. With my job you had to work there for a year for fmla. But if you get the job you'll see their benefits package. Always do what's best for you and your family. They are going to do what's best for the company in y opinion. Congratulations on your pregnancy, wishing you a h&h 9 months ❤❤

I work for a school district. First, fmla is unpaid and the federal mandate states you must work for 12 months and so many hours before it applies. So no, you would not be covered by fmla. Fmla essentially just makes sure you can come back to your job or a similar one and won't be fired, demoted, ect while on leave.

Short term disability is what pays you while on maternity. But again it typically has to be in effect 10 months to one year before having a baby to get paid.

In essence you will be able to take unpaid leave. Unless your district has some other policy this has been my experience in 5 different districts.

Now would I say anything? No, I would not. They are not suppose to discriminate against pregnancy anyways. On top of that you have very little experience so they could easily say they picked another teacher due to experience or whatever.

Best wishes and I hope you find a job. What will you be teaching?

I am also a teacher, and have interviewed for many jobs when pregnant (not visibly, or able to be concealed) I've never mentioned it, as it has no impact on my long term teaching ability

I wouldn't say anything and I wouldn't feel bad about it, either, given how crappy maternity leave is here in the states.

I am in very similar position.
I got offered a position of receptionist in medical office. I am almost 10 weeks pregnant and didn't tell them. I need to let her know by this afternoon if I want the job or not...

Ladies - absolutely do not say anything to the employer if you actually want the position. This is going to sound terrible, because it is, but I work in recruitment.. they will cite every other reason under the sun to not hire you if they know you are pregnant now. As has been said previously, this is a major "red flag" as far as sick leave, appt times, longevity, etc.
I am fairly new to my company, was hired 18 days before I got pregnant (well, before my LMP) and still have not said anything because I have my 90 day review coming up in a week and a half and I KNOW they will short me on salary increase as my position in their eyes would not feel strong. I am waiting until 15 weeks to say anything.

sad, but all true. do not say anything.

I agree with the don't say anything. I work in FMLA administration (under 12 months employment this won't apply) and have also been in management hiring people. If you're very early interview, accept a job and inform them of the pregnancy at whatever point in pregnancy you would feel comfortable with. If you're already at that point, always wait until you've accepted a job. We had someone interview and accept, then ask about taking time off in about 6 months, it was totally fine. If offered the job, ask for benefit information before accepting, you should be able to see in that info what your options for unpaid and paid leave are. Also, some states have maternity or parental leave laws effective date of hire.

Thank you for great advice ladies!
I accepted job position today and said nothing. I do feel kinda bad about it, but I do have a great work ethic. I will show up at work unless I am really not able to.
I am 10 weeks now, and I hope to work for at least 6 months.

Thank you all so much. It seems most of youbare saying I will not receive FMLA. If I accept the job then, and tell them a few week later I am pregnant, wont they just find a reason to fire me? It makes me wonder if getting a job is even worth it! I espcially don't want to hurt my reputation with a school district because I could apply there the next year...

I am also a teacher, and have interviewed for many jobs when pregnant (not visibly, or able to be concealed) I've never mentioned it, as it has no impact on my long term teaching ability

If you applied while pregnant and received the job, how did your employer react when you told them? How was it taking time off to have your baby?

I work for a school district. First, fmla is unpaid and the federal mandate states you must work for 12 months and so many hours before it applies. So no, you would not be covered by fmla. Fmla essentially just makes sure you can come back to your job or a similar one and won't be fired, demoted, ect while on leave.

Short term disability is what pays you while on maternity. But again it typically has to be in effect 10 months to one year before having a baby to get paid.

In essence you will be able to take unpaid leave. Unless your district has some other policy this has been my experience in 5 different districts.

Now would I say anything? No, I would not. They are not suppose to discriminate against pregnancy anyways. On top of that you have very little experience so they could easily say they picked another teacher due to experience or whatever.

Best wishes and I hope you find a job. What will you be teaching?

I am licensed to teach grades 4-9 science and social studies. Right now I an job hunting for anything available. Job postings are coming up now (I am 5 weeks) and interviews should follow shortly. What I am worried about is... if I don't receive FMLA do you think they would just fire me for requesting time off? I am wondering if I should just continue to substitute teach another year and apply for a long term position next year. Any advice?

Honestly, we have had several teachers take time off in their first year. I have never heard anybody comment on it. And they have never been replaced.

However, in my state teachers are hard to come by so a good teacher with full licensure is almost guaranteed a job and continuing contract.

I think... I will shoot for the job, and just pray they let me take unpaid time off. If not, I'll just substitute for another year and start the hunt again next year. There's no harm in that. Luckily, I live in a rural area... the schools are small and surrounded by cow fields. Everyone is pretty family oriented and hopefully that will work in my favor when it comes to principals/superintendents. Maybe they won"t be so heartless about the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->