Getting LO#1 to hit some milestones before new baby comes

marigold91

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 4.5 year old who comes in our bed in the middle of the night a few times a week. It's not every night, but when the baby comes, it just won't work - the baby will be in our room and wake up my daughter every 2 hours or so, plus we have a queen bed so we don't sleep as well when she's in there.

She also wears pull-ups to bed. She's completely potty trained during the day and has been for years, but still has accidents at night. I selfishly don't want to be spending the money on pull ups when I have diapers to buy too! Lol.

So I want to get her to stay in her own bed and not have accidents at night before the baby comes. Any advice? Or anyone else trying to get your kids to do something major before the baby comes?

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and I have similar issues. Like they were both in our bed last night. Bit of a squeeze! No real advice for night time sleeps. For nighttime dryness though - I'm sure I read it's actually a hormonal trigger and there isn't much you can do about it. Mine were oddly both dry at night before they were during the day. Have you considered buying a couple of reusable nappies for the eldest instead of spending money on pull-ups? They will feel wet so will raise awareness for you little one that they have peed, and then you can just stick in the wash in the morning.

I think the suggestion of reusable nappies at night is a great idea. Limit drinks given t yr lo in the afternoon for few weeks and then no drinks after tea time. This will allow bladder to not be irritated and comfortable for the night.

As for sleeping through the night. We have a nearly 3 yr old still coming through the our bed maybe one or two nights a week. I've become the laxed and just allowed it at the min as I'm too tired to try and confront this issue.plus he always goes to my oh anyway so doesn't rli fuss me. But when baby comes I'm hoping he will hate being woken up and soon be too tired to come through to be disturbed by baby feeding through out the night
sori no other advise rli

We don't usually have DS come into our bed but he isn't potty trained yet and we haven't moved him to a bed. Two major transitions that I really can't decide whether to tackle now before the baby arrives or wait until the baby is a few months old. It makes sense to potty train him now so we don't have two in nappies but I genuinely think he's not ready so I don't want to push him. As for the bed transition, he's still quite happy in his cot bed so i'm reluctant to disturb the peace regarding that as well!

been thru all of this and I do recommend you do whatever you want to get out of the way before baby comes! personally im trying to get my son to go potty all on his own (turning light on, peeing, flushing, and washing hands) so that I don't have to help him every time he's gotta go once baby is here.:baby:
when I was pregnant with my third, my second was just 2 so I made sure I got the potty training out of the way because that is a huge step and once baby arrives it will be so hard to focus on that with a tiny baby as well!:nope:
for bed wetting I recommend you limit drinks a few hours before she goes to bed and make sure she empties her bladder right before bed then if you are still awake a few hours after she's been sleeping try to get her to the bathroom and pee..I found that the best way to train my kids during the night. soon after they will get used to being dry during that night or will just get up on their own to the bathroom when they feel the need. But of course you can't escape the occasional accident!:wacko:
When she comes to sleep with you at night, give her a hug and maybe a sip of water and walk her back to bed..it might take several tries for her to be convinced to stay in bed but soon she will get the picture that it won't help to walk all the way over to u just to get back into her bed and will just stay in bed.:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->