Getting off Jars

S

Serene123

Caitlyn had Jars for Stage 1 and Stage 2. She took to Stage 2 really well and can chew food. She loves fruit, veg, and TOAST, but she doesn't like meat so much. I want to get off jars but I'm not sure what foods are alright for 7 months. She doesn't eat very much.

She has porridge for breakfast, which I will continue to give her out of a jar untill she can have normal porridge. Must look into when that is.

I was thinking half a piece of toast for lunch with some grated cheese? Is that alright? What cheese is she allowed? And with a yogurt after, maybe? Or egg on toast other days?

As for dinners, do you just give them your own food minus the salt? She had a Christmas Dinner which she loved. It was just the veg we had, plus some mash, all mashed up and mixed together.

She's really good with food, just need some ideas please?

yes anything your having without salt is fine, just get it to the right texture, personally i didnt give mine too much eggs or cheese, usually boiled veg, potatoes, meat if theyll eat it blended, pasta and rice in small ammountsinstead of potato occasionally, i used only fromage frais, till they were older, pureed fruit with baby rice, is nice, with or without baby milk added, theres loads of options, this is jsut what i found best for my girls.

I was advised to try and get her to have things such as cheese and butter! I was shocked, to me those are unhealthy, but aparently they need the unhealthy things that we don't need?

cheese is healthy in moderation and children need the extra calcium.

Toria,
food in jars is nasty anyways, you should cook for your girl whenever you can.
Some meals that Mia has:

scrambled eggs with sour cream and bread
cooked green peas
broccoli and cauliflower with sour cream
mashed potatoes
beans
soup with carrots and potatoes
butter squash cooked and with margarine and salt

basically, any veggie can be steamed and mixed with sour cream or butter.

cheese is ok, i would add it to other things though, like mixed in with some potato, thats my opinion though. i was always advised to stay away from butter, milk and cheese is adequate enough, alot of salt etc in butter. do u want some web site addies for recipes? theres a few i've used over the past few years.

:p

Toria

I feel the same way , max is now on stage 3 jars but I feel as if hes getting bored with the same old foods lol thanks for posting this so all of us can get ideas

Hey Toria,

I got off the jars with Josh about 2 month ago and started making our own baby food. He eat pretty much anything! He didn't like the meat in the jars, but loves the one I cook for him. He doesn't have everything we have yet, but I take a day in the week to cook him lots of food and freeze it for a week or two. This is best way to feed your baby, I agree with Bv, jars are nasty. I would buy organic ones, but it was not as nearly as good as what he has now !

I don't add anything, no butter, no spices, no salt. Butter isn't good for babies as it contains a lot of salt. Cheese is good though!! I give Josh fat cottage cheese, grated cheese as well and I always make sure to get the fattest cheese and the one with less salt in it. I haven't given any cow's milk to Josh yet, but if you give Caitlyn some just make sure you give the fattest one.

As for the way I cook his food, I always steam vegetables because it's the best way to keep all the vitamins in them. I poach chicken and I cook his beef in foil, this way I don't need to add anything like butter. Sometimes I will cook the beef in a pan with organic olive oil. I even steam some fruits and will mash them and freeze them, use them to mix with his plain yogurt or cereals.
Josh gets

Meat/protein
Beef
Chicken
Cheese
boiled egg (best way to make sure he doesn't get egg whites)
Tofu

Veggies
Carrots
peas
green & yellow beans
asparagus
brocoli

Fruits
Melon
Peach
strawberries
blueberries
apples
plum
bananas
mango
pear

Hope this helps ! :hugs:

im the same as jess i cook most of summers meals but i dont add butter, spices or salt. i sometimes just use herbs like parsely. i make up big batches and freeze them too. things like fish with cheese and veg, also if we have a roast dinner i will use some meat from what we have had cook some veg and pots and mash tht up, simple but its healthy and she enjoys it.

oh and as for the porrige summer has been having normal ready break with cows milk for brekky altho her fave is weetabix, midwife said to me this was fine from about 6 months?

I agree with what the other girls say about cooking your own food.
I wouldnt keep her on jars , as sometimes they do prefer homemade food as it has alot more flavour :)

you can always mix jars and home made.
My doc said that I shouldnt give cheese or milk until 1 year. But each country seems to have different ideas. According to the chart my doc gave me baby could have fruit, veges, cereals, poultry or yogurts by 7 months.

hey Toria, just wondering how today went?
has caitlyn eaten ok today??

x

Yep, porridge for breakfast and toast and a carrot for lunch. She had cheese on toast for dinner last night too lol

you can always mix jars and home made.
My doc said that I shouldnt give cheese or milk until 1 year. But each country seems to have different ideas. According to the chart my doc gave me baby could have fruit, veges, cereals, poultry or yogurts by 7 months.

My doctor also said the same thing about cheese and milk...so I have refrained from giving Valerie anything like that. But like you said...every doc is different.

rhys never had any jars at all! his diet at 7months consisted of

breakfast:
toast
scrambled egg
porridge
wheetabix

lunch:
ricecakes with philly
grated cjeese
cucumber
home made fish fingers
berries.. like strawberries and blackberries
banana
organix snacks

dinners:
lots of veggies (steamed)
roasted chicken, shredded
mince meat with sauce
pasta
rice
mash potato

as he got older i introduced things like beans on toast, or rather beans in a bowl with small chunks of soggy toast in it and i started mixing things like cheese and ham in with his scrambled eggs.

any Qs just msn me :)
melon

Callum stopped eating jars at about 7mths, he hated them, wants what i eat. He loves spag bol, scrambled eggs, weetabix are his favourite, those organix sticks are great for snacks, toast with soft cheese on. He wont eat cheese, banana, ham anything thats has a smooth texture.

She doesn't like banana but she will eat melon if I cut it up and let her eat it in strips. She's really good with finger food, rubbish with spoon food though..

She doesn't like banana but she will eat melon if I cut it up and let her eat it in strips. She's really good with finger food, rubbish with spoon food though..

thats the same with ciaran he would rather feed him self because im not fast enough lol he gets really angry if i feed him with a spoon lol

about scramble egg ...

how do you cook it :blush::blush:

im not a egg person so i dont eat it but would love to try it with ciaran ...

ive been giving ciaran mashed patatoe sp? mashed peas etc .. yogurt for lunch .. oh is that enough or do u think i should give him something else ?

oh and my HV said yesterday to reduced his 9oz bottles during the day to about 4-5oz and give him more food instead does that sound right ? and at night hes to get the 9oz

I bought some jars just to try and see what Sebastian would like and then began making baby food. I've been giving him fresh fruit and vegetables, but he prefers the jarred food! I am persevering with it because I think what I make is better for him especially since the OH and I are vegetarians and we are raising Sebastian as one. Most of the jarred stuff has meat or poultry in it.

Cheddar Cheese sauce with broccoli then puree it. Babies love it!
Mash Potato with melted cheddar cheese too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->