getting on with life after stitches

twobecome3

One and one on the way
Reaction score
so this def belongs in postnatal support but its dead over there, save for a few crickets chirping

anyways, for those ladies that had an episiotomy when could you get on with the following things:

long walks
yoga
sex
sitting cross-legged
zumba

:haha: these are the things i want to do, in no particular order, but at 3 weeks post its still quite tender. when did you resume life?

I didn't have an epipostomy but my 2nd degree tear was awkwardly placed.
I still twinge now! 7 months later :(

I hope your recovery is swift and easy

Xx

2nd degree tear here too. Took a good 8 weeks before started to feel 'normal'. I had a lot discomfort around 4-6weeks.

No episiotomy but I had serious tearing and stitches. I was fully comfortable after about 8 weeks.

Hi

It took me about 8 weeks to be able to sit properly after my episiotomy without pain. But I had an infection and heamatoma which didn't help.

It does get better though (I never thought I'd say that in the early days)

It took me about 6 weeks to feel able to sit without thinking it through first and maybe a few more months before everything went back to normal.

I'm hoping i avoid one this time as the only thing that saved me before was the salt baths :D.

I had an episiotomy and now at 4 weeks PP feel like I'm fully healed and pain free. We tried very gentle sex yesterday and it all went well :thumbup: I have resumed taking my dogs out for long walks and basically feel (almost) good as new! I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying that this time last week...so there is hope :D. Hope you're healed soon....

I had an episiotomy which was 3rd degree and took pain killers for 4 weeks pp then i still had some pain but was able to sit down easier and walk fine! By 5/6 weeks i was fully healed! We managed to have sex at 6 weeks 4 days (or something like that!) it was great we used lots of lube and it didnt hurt at all! :)

Drinking lots of water will help toilet wise. It will make your wee less hum, stingy!

I didn't have an episiotomy but I had a 2nd degree tear with stitches. It took about 6-8 weeks to feel normal again, but even after that I felt 'odd' down there for a little while. I used cooled witch hazel pads when I was sore and that helped a lot!

Do you use a peri bottle? you can fill it with warm water before you have to go bathroom and use it to help clean yourself and it feels good. I had a c section but my sister had a tear/stitches and they sent her home using one of those bottles.

I had an episiotomy with both my labours and felt completely better after about 4 weeks the first time, and 3 weeks this time. I had a toddler to run after so long walks were done from day 1 as I didn't really have a choice. I was able to sit cross legged from 3 weeks PP this time, and we DTD for the first time about a week ago. When you've had stitches you think you're never gonna feel the same down there again.. But you do, don't worry :) x

It took me about 4-5 weeks. I couldn't wear jeans until week 4! It definitely took longer than I expected to heal... and I only had two stiches! :wacko:

Hmm I think about 2 months pp I felt normal after my episiotomy x

Do you use a peri bottle? you can fill it with warm water before you have to go bathroom and use it to help clean yourself and it feels good. I had a c section but my sister had a tear/stitches and they sent her home using one of those bottles.

the peribottle is my new best friend :haha:
I find cold water in it to be fabulous, a little surprising at first but then very soothing

It took me about 6 weeks to feel able to sit without thinking it through first and maybe a few more months before everything went back to normal.

I'm hoping i avoid one this time as the only thing that saved me before was the salt baths :D.

the salt baths are lovely, I got a tonne of herbal pouches from the midwives to boil down and mix with the salts. lots of odd stuff in there like garlic?? lol :haha: anyways, good stuff. bring LO in the herb bath with me it helped to clean and dry up the gunky stuff on her cord stub quickly

It took me about 4-5 weeks. I couldn't wear jeans until week 4! It definitely took longer than I expected to heal... and I only had two stiches! :wacko:

I don't know how many stitches I even have! its a great mystery.... I was transferred care at the end of my labor, the OB sliced and suctioned baby out then was gone and I never saw her again. I asked the midwives what the scene was down there and they didn't know! :haha::haha: im certainly not going to take a look anytime soon either...it feels like a lot tho.

I had an episiotomy and now at 4 weeks PP feel like I'm fully healed and pain free. We tried very gentle sex yesterday and it all went well :thumbup: I have resumed taking my dogs out for long walks and basically feel (almost) good as new! I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying that this time last week...so there is hope :D. Hope you're healed soon....

ahhh I hope im a quick healer too!

I had an episiotomy. It was agony for the 1st week, painful but manageable for the 2nd then after 2 weeks I felt fine. I had sex 5 weeks post-partum with no pain from scar!

My tips and advice:-

- Take it easy, I tried to go on a long walk at 1 week PP and it made things worse. Try not to put too much pressure on it- I sat on a nursing pillow (you know the horse-shoe shaped ones) because it meant the area was completely raised.

- Drink lots of water to make urine more comfortable to pass.

- Have baths with a few drops of lavender oil. I had 2 every day for the first week! I think it helps keeping it clean. And take pain relief tablets if you feel you need to.

- Wear loose jogging bottoms and cotton underwear.

- Make people aware of how painful it is... I think people can be a bit unsympathetic because you've had a natural birth and therefore don't think you should be in any more pain than anyone else) Once I explained to my OH what had actually been done he was much better and more helpful with things.

- Be careful with ice packs and only use well-wrapped ice. I didn't and gave myself freezer burn which made it more painful :(

Also a lot of people say don't get a hand mirror and look at it but in my own experience it actually helped. I was in so much pain and I thought I was a right mess down there with stiches everywhere and a massive cut, so I was pleasantly surprised when I braved a look in the mirror 2 weeks PP to just see just the one, teeniest little neat cut. It was much better then what I'd imagined! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->