Getting Pregnant while breastfeeding??

Tiger22

Reaction score
Is it hard? My LO is 13 months and I'm currently nursing her 2-3 times a day still but we really want to get pregnant! I have gotten 4 regular periods also. A nurse told me that it can be hard if you are breastfeeding bc you are not fully ovulating? Is this true? Should I try to wean? We aren't ready to wean yet but my husband and I are really hoping to get pregnant soon...I'm not sure what to do! :/

yes bf can effect ur fetility but I would track ur ovulation and make sure that's all fine before deciding to wean. u can temp of pee on ovulation sticks. make sure the phases pre and post ovulation are optimal lengths. u can take b vit supplements among other things to help balance them out if not.

I fell pregnant whilst bf but I was down to 1-2 feedings a day so not sure if that helped.

gl x

Breast feeding can affect fertility, but if you're getting regular periods, you're probably dropping eggs again. Try ovulation kits to help you out. I fell pg with my second when DD1 was 17 months, and she was still nursing 3-4times per day. I only had 2 or 3 cycles prior to that.

It depends on the person how BF will affect your fertility. Some women get their cycles back right away, but most EBF mamas will take longer and have a few wonky cycles before they regulate completely. I conceived #2 and #3 while BF, but my kids were 14mo and 20mo at the time, and I was still nursing 2-3x a day. My friend did wean when her girl was 2 years because she isn't fertile while BF even if it's only once or twice a day. If you have a regular period, then I wouldn't assume you aren't ovulating - you probably are. I would track your OV and see where you're at. I conceived quicker while BF than I did before (4 years for #1, 7 cycles for #2 and surprise #3!!) :haha:

I got pg when my dd was 12 months.
I had 6 irregular periods- I found that I ovulated later in my cycle- I took vitamin b6 for hormone balance and got pg the same month so that helped me a lot I think!
So it's definitely possible- I was still feeding in the day and through the night too!

I got pregnant while nursing at 13 months, but Aunt flow was back... Having said that some women will get aunt flow back be regular, but also not ovulate while nursing until they are down to 1-2 nursing sessions a day.... Just try and see what happens

I was able to get pregnant while breastfeeding, my daughter was 14 months old. My period didn't return until I was like 10 month PP I think. I ovulated right from go. We were down to 1-2 nurses a day then. It affects everyone differently but testing is a good way to tell if your not sure.

I got pregnant twice while breastfeeding. I only had one period back for the last one. And preg again. I didnt wean, just continued.

i got pregnant with ds3 while bf ds2 and fed him for another 4 months, fell preg this time while still expressing ( since ds4 decided to stop bf on me no matter what i tried total boob refusal ) 4-5 times a day, I since stopped expressing because its too painful to keep up and ds4 is doing fine on formula and the last of my stash

Have you tried using OPK's to see if you are ovulating? It may give you an idea though they are not definitive. Also look for fertile mucus at the same time it should give you a strong indication, or chart for a definite answer. There should be no need to wean unless you and your baby want that I don't think if you have your cycle back you are more than likely fertile again. B/F can mess your cycles up a bit for a while but the later in your B/F relationship you are the more likely your cycles will be normal and fertile.

My DD is fully breastfed, no formula at all and my period came back about 6 weeks PP! Not 100% sure if I'm ovulating though.

My DD is fully breastfed, no formula at all and my period came back about 6 weeks PP! Not 100% sure if I'm ovulating though.

Same here this time! 7 weeks pp for me.
It came back at 6 mos first time round. I was hoping for a bit longer :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back