Getting really nervous

ChocolateKate

Reaction score
Hello

I haven't posted much in this part of the forum but am so encouraged by everything I read. I am due in 11 days time and have been quite surprised so far at how calm I've been over the prospect of giving birth to my first baby.

I would like as natural a birth as possible at our midwife-led birthing centre, hopefully in water and only using gas and air. I've read so much and have a great support network including a wonderful husband. The girls in my antenatal class have started having their babies and their birth stories have been very positive.

So why am I now getting so nervous? I'm really started to get terrified and know that this isn't good for staying in control! I'm sure everyone feels like this but is there anything else I can do? I feel I can prepare for everything but the pain and the fear of not knowing what to expect is really worrying me.

Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated. X

What you are feeling is totally normal. We all have fear of the unknown. The best thing to do is to try to relax and remind yourself you have done all you can to educate yourself, and just let go. Once you go into labor, there is no going back. I remember thinking 'oh shit oh shit oh shit' when my water broke. But once I was laboring, there wasn't fear. All I could focus on was my labor, even when things went kinda crazy, I still wasn't afraid.

Its totally normal to feel this way but as the pp said it will go as you go into labour and start working towards delivering a new life. I am nervous again now and this is my 5th but I know when labour begins it will all be fine and i will focus on my body and what its doing and thinking that with each contraction i am 1 step closer to meeting my baby girl. With my first I just kept thinking that millions of women do this all over the world and some dont have the luxury of health care or pain relief, good luck.

Exciting times hun, nerves are good it means your normal.

Just remember your body can do it, your baby can do it and it can be fab if you let it be.

Stick to your guns with your plans, say no if you don't want something and enjoy it, yes you can enjoy some of it!

Like the others said, it is normal. Most women will be scared of giving birth no matter how many times they've done it before.

Try to embrace it. It's a really special time and you're only going to do it a few times in your life. It'll be beautiful

Im scared and I have ages to go yet and this is number 2 hun, its perfectly normal to worry about the unkown of how you will feel and how giving birth will feel etc

:hugs:

Read the positive birth stories page and look up positive birthing videos, I think there was a link to some amazing ones in the positive natural birth stories page. Whenever I was having doubts I'd spend hours watching these and it really helped. I believe it was a way of setting my mind up to have a similar experience, and it seemed to work!

It is all perfectly normal, our hormones and emotions can be really all over the place you will be absolutely fine :)

You need to take little bit of light exercise followed by walking.You can also try yoga if your doctor allows, in this way you can keep yourself calm and quiet.

Don't feel you need to be 'in control'. On th contrary birth is about letting go....surrendering....giving in to the process and letting your body do what it's designed to do. Birth by it's very nature is uncontrollable. Accepting that will you to feel calmer.

There is a big difference between feeling out of control and surrendering. To surrender is a very empowering and positive thing :)

I am going for # 6 and even I am nervous about it! I've done it 5 times already without any major problems, yet it is all overwhelming emotionally.

I'm nervous and I'm a midwife! It's very natural to be anxious about the unknown. Positive thinking can do wonders though, focus on slow breathing and visualising the type of birth you want to achieve. :)

Thank you for all your advice. I couldn't have hoped for a better birth and I've posted my story here:

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/719044-pollys-birth-story.html

We've had a few problems since with jaundice and breast feeding but I'm starting to enjoy my little girl and the delivery really wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->