Getting to the hospital when in labour..

Gemma_xX

TTC#3
Reaction score
How does everyone plan on getting to the hospital when in labour?

I am the only one that drives following a fallout with my mother..

Are we allowed to drive ourselves back from hospital does anyone know??
:flower:

Sorry didnt want to read and run - I dont know the answer to your Q. Do you not have a close friend who could run you and pick you up following the birth? xx

I don't see why not but it depends on your labour, you may not want or be able to drive. I would suggest getting taxi's if you can't get a friend to drive (remember to pack the carseat tho!)

i wouldnt have wanted to drive after having my lo can you not get a taxi? x

how far away is the hospital hun? x

I think it will totally depend on your ability to drive, the distance to the hospital and how you feel!

When I went to the hospital to have my little boy I couldn't have driven as its about 12mins door to door but my contractions were every 5 mins and I would definitely have crashed the car! You also need to consider what will happen if you had to have an emergency csection and then are not allowed to drive for 6weeks (your insurance will not cover you within this period).

If I were you I'd go for taxis just because this takes the pressure off you, and after the birth you might not feel up to driving so this would let you relax.

I could have probably drove there but i had to stay in 3 night so car park would have cost far more than taxi

I got taxi there when first went into labour then got sent home then asked my mum but my next door said he would have took us if he had known

Just if you going to get taxi obviously the 20min will cost you a bit make sure you leave it till you quite far gone or just refuse to be sent home as if i hadn't goty mum we would have had to get 3 taxis all in so ace of 4 hours as my waters broke 1 hours after being sent home

I also usemy local firm a bit but i rang to make sure they would take me if in labour as some don't incase waters break and i also cheerily asked that if i phoned would I be given priority over the party goers on nights out and they said yes

And make sure the taxi firm you plan on using is 24hour

I have been thinking same thing. My dad is insured to drive my car but he works nights so if i go during night im stuc. during day he would get out of bed and come get me etc... but at night i duno! hospital is about 5 min drive away and parking free. Just dont know if its worth the risk to be honest.

I might get taxi to hospital, my dad will be taking us home. just so i dont feel pressured to drive. If i feel like driving i will but just easier as oh doesnt drive!

We are ordering our car seat base on thurs, so next weekend my car is geting a good clean out, hoover etc and the car seat will be firmly in place along with our coming home bags and extra nappies etc

Hospital bags will be kept in the house just in case of taxi etc!xx hopefully it will all work out :) xxx

Definitely wouldn't drive myself - with my eldest I was in (unexpectedly) for 15 days - 13 after I had him. Also driving while in labour is going to be uncomfortable at the best -dangerous at the worse.

I think even if you are still not in the best place with your Mum, I am sure she would still drive you. If you don't want to/feel you can ask her - then definitely go by taxi (followin the above recommendations).

I wouldnt want to drive, and taxi seems best option unless you have a friend that can drive you. If you sweet talk the taxi people, they might give it you cheaper.. especially if you start screaming about how expencive it is, and then blame the hormones!!! =P

Ehh..I know there is NO way I could have driven myself to the hospital while in labor with contractions 3-5 min apart... And, here we're recommended to not drive for a week after birth, which makes really good sense because I had no desire to drive for like 2 weeks lol.

I'd ring an ambulance. Afterall, what do we pay taxes for? :shrug: At least you'll still be taken care of if stuck in a traffic jam, you won't have any parking bills to pay & you could get a taxi home. :thumbup:

I think I read that if you're driving while in labour and you're involved an accident, you can be prosecuted... I can't remember what the offence is exactly though...?

I wouldn't call an ambulance either, unless it was an emergency and you were seriously concerned something was wrong :)

I'd ring an ambulance. Afterall, what do we pay taxes for? :shrug: At least you'll still be taken care of if stuck in a traffic jam, you won't have any parking bills to pay & you could get a taxi home. :thumbup:

Don't think I could call an ambulance in good conscience unless I was literally having the baby that second.. what if I delayed one from getting to someone who was dying? :cry: I read somewhere that they might charge you too for calling an ambulance in a non-emergency.

I drive but OH doesn't so we're just getting a taxi I think, unless I end up being induced in which case I might hop on the bus!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call an ambulance willy-nilly, but if I literally had no other form of transport & felt that things were progressing quite rapidly, I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about calling one. :telephone:

Looks like im guna have to take a taxi because other halfs car is off the road now until June and my mom will be looking after the kids xx

It'll be a taxi for us - our hospital is about 20 mins away too.

I have no idea what to expect, pain wise, so I wouldn't risk driving. But thats just me.

I also wouldn't call an emergancy ambulance as in 999, unless it really was an emergancy but your hospital may have their own non emergancy ambulances which you can try calling. The number for ours is on my green notes. x

There is volunteer transport that might be able to help get you home after - might be worth ringing the hospital and asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->