getting worried

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
we had a fair amount of snow fall over night and since the gritters hadn't been out it is now all compacted and basically is like a ice rink, you can see the shine on the roads it is so slippy, this is the main roads also!

Well i have to go out at 11pm to go pick future hubby up from train station and i am really starting to get worried about going as the snow has started falling again :(

It's not even like I can get him to get a taxi home as many of the local taxi companys have even closed for the day as the roads are so dangerous!

What makes it worse is our car is a real wheel drive, meaning if it hits a slippy patch, instead of sliding forward the rear of the car will start to spin out!

How far away is the train station??

I would definitely call up someone to complain in the morning! Thats really dangerous!

train station is about 3.5 miles away

it took me over an hour to get from the train station to home this morning and that was before the snow was so compacted

I don't understand why the gritters haven't been out, it's not like they didn't have enough warning grrrrr

Are you reasonably competant in the snow?

One of ours is RWD too. To be honest with you, other than climbing steep hills (which it's not very good at) I prefer RWD in the snow to FWD. Actually I just prefer RWD full stop.

The benefits are that you get a much more positive feel of the road surface through the steering wheel with RWD. You can feel how slippery it is with much more certainty than FWD gives you.

You also have two ways of steering it which FWD lacks. If FWD decides it's going straight on then you've had it. You still have an option with RWD.

:D

Do you have a family member who could maybe go for him instead hunni? or maybe someone who can come with you.

If not take allow lots of extra time, don't brake/ accelerate sharply & if u do skid steer with it.

I hope they sort the roads soon.

I'd put a complaint in tomorrw.

Take care hunni.

I don't feel confident at all driving our car in the snow or ice, the traction light was light up on the dashboard pretty much 60% of the way home this morning and that scares me

There is noone that can come with me or go instead, guess i just have to be brave, this is all proving his train don't get cancelled and he is stuck!

In some ways it may be better if his train is delayed til morning.

Driving in these conditions is always dangerous all you can do is take extreme care. Good luck

aw hun, if you dont feel confident the i know its not nice but could you not walk?? better to get bloody cold and it take a while than panic and something happen :hugs:

If you really don't feel that happy about driving I would personally see if you can find someone else who an go and pick up your OH, try all the taxi companies just in case or suggest that he walks.

If you decide to drive then my dad always gave me a tip for driving in snow which was to put the handbrake on one click as it will give you better grip especially when braking. Not sure if this would be the same in a rear wheel drive though I must admit.

Make sure you drive in a very low gear as well as that helps.

Its like that here too hun :( we called up council and they said they should be gritted over the weekend. IMO the gritters should be working 24/7.. so dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->