GIANT baby boy!

HopinAndPrayn

Reaction score
So last week I went into triage for reduced movement and as soon as he was on a monitor he went crazy! They opted to do an ultrasound to check fluids and size. To my complete shock he measured at 10lb 4oz based on the ultrasound measurements :wacko: When I went overdue I mentioned the size of the baby to my OB who scheduled an ultrasound for this morning which found him to be 11lbs 8 oz :help:

My doc put a C-Section on the calendar for Monday barring I don't go into labor over the weekend. Did anyone have a REALLY big baby their first time around? This all seems to be happening so fast, I'm kind of bummed to give up my goal of a traditional delivery but I also don't want to risk shoulder dystocia or laboring for hours with no progress. :shrug:

Research suggests that the scans can be 2lbs out and I have heard a lot of people get told one weight based on a scan and be a lot more than 2lbs out. So although he may be large I wouldn't automatically presume he is based on a scan.

I was told my son would be very large and I was expecting over 10lbs DH and his family all were but he was only 6lbs 14oz when he was born. :dohh:

Ive only had a 6lb baby, and am due to have another little one so no expeirence here, but my friend had a 12lb 2 baby boy!! She did try to have him natrally but ended up with a c section because she was in labour for so long and baby started getting tired, but i also have another friend whos baby was 11lb 9 and she said it was easier than giving birth to her first baby at 7lbs!! If it were me being told id have a big baby, i would go for a c section, just my opinion, but there isnt always need for it. Its up to you, also remember the size they tell you isnt always very accurate, my best mate was told she was having a 9lb baby and she was born 7lbs so they are not always right! good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

My nephew weighed 11 lbs., 8 oz........ he came 10 days EARLY. Can you believe how BIG he'd be if he went overdue? lol

Even if the ultrasound WAS over by a pound or two, that's still a HUGE baby. I wouldn't mess with that. Good luck with everything!

They told me at the ultrasound that it's +/- a pound which puts him at a minimum of 10lb 8oz (and a max of 12lb 8oz EEK!)! I'm thinking I'll go with the C-Section so I can prepare for it rather than winding up needing an emergency one.

Just gotta go with the flow at this point! :thumbup:

My SIL just had a baby and she said at around 31 or 33 wks the dr told her that if she went term then he would be 14 lbs (I think she either misunderstood or exagereated that). Then last week she went to dr and I think she had an US and he told her that he was b/w 7 1/2 and 8 lbs. When he was born this past Sun he was 6 lbs 2 oz so I would not put to much in to it.

I had the opposite was told my second eldest would be born really small about 6lb or so but he was born 9lb 12oz, the only petite thing about him was he had tiny hands and feet (my others have all had huge hands and feet!) xx

Good luck for Monday! How exciting! It will be really interesting to see what his birth wight actually is. Xx

Hope all goes well for monday x

Thank god they scanned you?!
Imagine if you hadn't gone in at all!
Does your bump look big?! X

I know for a fact they can be at least 2lbs out.. i'm interested to see how much he will actually weigh! Good luck on Monday!

Good luck for Monday hun. Can't wit to hear about your little boy! Xxx

Thanks so much! They also said he has some extra fluid surrounding him so my bump looks GIANT! Several people have said "you must be carrying a boy" just based on how I'm carrying, glad I wasn't trying to be team :yellow: He looks especially big since I'm only 5'4"!

Good luck. I'm hope all goes well. I'll be really interested to hear his weight. I've been told my baby will be min 10-11lbs. I have a c-section booked for 40+1 and I'm scared to death hell be more than that. Fingers crossed for you!

Research suggests that the scans can be 2lbs out and I have heard a lot of people get told one weight based on a scan and be a lot more than 2lbs out. So although he may be large I wouldn't automatically presume he is based on a scan.

I was told my son would be very large and I was expecting over 10lbs DH and his family all were but he was only 6lbs 14oz when he was born. :dohh:

Ive been told the same thing by the man who delivered our cot lol He said his baby was predicted his baby to be 10lbs and he was 5 lb something and vice versa with his daughter she was expected to be 6lbs and she was over 10lb

Some cultures welcome a large baby. They say that a big baby is a strong baby and strong babies birth easier because they are more able to work with your contractions :)

GL hun! I'm also interested in knowing the weight estimate after the fact. I asked not to know the estimate because I've heard they can be out by so much I didn't want to get myself worried! lol

I was told c8lb all through my first (only had 2 scans with him, 13 and 20 weeks) and c9lb all through my 2nd (had 13, 20 and 32 weeks scans with him)

1st was 9lb6 and 2nd was 10lb14 - my 2nd baby the labour was shorter and more intense but the recovery was great and I was nowhere near as tired.

Good luck with the section. I too would like to know what he ends up as?

I got told my son was going to be 14lbs plus and he was only 7lb 12 so I wouldn't worry about the size of baby too much :) x

GL hon. I was told my baby was big, but he was only 7 lbs., 13 oz! Hope your section goes well. Better imo to have a planned section, than an emergency one. Do you have everything ready for it?

Let me know if you have any questions...have had two sections in the past year and three months.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->