Girl names poll

Citrine

Reaction score
We will be using the middle name Elizabeth with our first name. First name options are:

Dylan
Casey
Camber
Wynne
Spencer
Drew
Andra

What do you like?!

Hmmmm, they all sound more like boys names to me, but maybe that's becasue I'm in the UK? I suppose out of all of them Andra sounds the most feminine, so I'd go with that one!

I thought they were all definitely boys names apart from Wynne and Casey. I wouldn't call a girl Dylan or Spencer, they're the most masculine. Andra, although it ends in an a, makes me think of "androgynous", making the whole masculine-sounding name even worse! Sorry to sound negative but there's a real masculinity to these names!

I'd definitely choose Casey as it's the most feminine to me.

I have to agree they sound like boy's names, especially Dylan and Spencer.

I voted Casey as the others are a little too masculine for me, but I guess that must be your thing. Spencer seems the most masculine.

im sorry but only one is feminine and thats Wynne - so that seems like the only choice here

Drew, Dylan and Spencer are 100% masculine and I cant stand them as little girls first or main name (maybe ok as a second/middle name only)

I dated a Casey so thats masculine to me

Camber and Andra and possibly unisex but once again I would only use them as a second/middle name

is there a reason you picked all boys names?

Clearly she likes unisex names for girls lol I personally love them and see all of these as unisex apart from Andra is feminine to me

One of my fave girl names would be Logan Elizabeth, maybe you'd like that?

I LOVE Spencer Elizabeth also. The other ones are okay but just don't sound that great with Elizabeth IMO.

Other "boy/unisex" names you might like:
Brett, Camden, Luca, Elliott, Emerson, Frankie, Kyle, Peyton, Sebastian

Sebastian!? I'm sorry, but I can't help but feel like using a name that has only ever been used for male people throughout history, especially something with a really long history like Sebastian (including a male character in Shakespeare and numerous famous Sebastians, not to mention Disney) is just a bit mean. I'm not traditional with names by any means, infact I like some pretty unusual or "out there" names (Indigo etc) but you might aswell call the little girl "guy" as far as I'm concerned with names like these.

Same goes for Dylan and some of the OPs suggestions in my opinion. Dylan Thomas was not a woman and frankly, I think it makes it look like you didn't realise it was a male name and used it in ignorance.

I have nothing against using actual unisex names but there's a line where it's clearly just a boy's name. As I said, you wouldn't consider Guy...or Nigel or Gary...Or would you!? Where does it end!?

I like Dylan and Casey.

Also, don't mind all these people talking about masculine v. feminine names. A person's sex is so personal anyway and honestly, barring a name just because it's typically associated with one sex or the other is silly. In the past, it was common to see men named Carol, Ashley, etc. You do you and choose the name that fits for your family <3

I like Dylan and Casey.

Also, don't mind all these people talking about masculine v. feminine names. A person's sex is so personal anyway and honestly, barring a name just because it's typically associated with one sex or the other is silly. In the past, it was common to see men named Carol, Ashley, etc. You do you and choose the name that fits for your family <3

It's not silly. We're living in the present and people's perceptions of a name are vitally important...This kid's going to be saddled with it for life unless she makes efforts to change it (which I would, if I'd been given a boy's name).

Ashley has been unisex for a long time and still is in this country, infact I grew up with male Ashleys and no female Ashleys. But Dylan, Sebastian etc have only ever been male names, like Steven, Mark, Robert or Paul. As I said, where exactly do you draw the line? If someone called their baby girl Mark Steven or Anthony Robert I'd be angry at that parent because they've done something mean or at least thoughtless...They've labelled their child a boy. Whether you like it or not, that's how society views and has always viewed those names. As boy names. Hence all the famous male ones throughout history.

These aren't anything to do with "gender stereotypes". We can't change thousands of years of name history and connotations with one baby born today, no matter how much we want to be open-minded and accepting.

I was just stating GIRLS I personally know with these names, and YES I know a girl named Sebastian. Times are changing

I also know a girl named Mykal (Michael) but forgot to add that one.

It's just a matter of opinion really, as "unisex" names can also be the other way round like boys having feminine names such as Leslie, Mackenzie, Aubrey, Kimberly, Shirley, Morgan, Addison, Brit, etc. People just see this as more "common" which I personally cringe when I hear boys called these names. And again, I DO know boys with all of the names listed.

And also, OP said middle name was Elizabeth so it's not like she is naming her 2 "boy" names.

why name a girl any boy name?

Is this like a trend now? How quirky can I be in naming my children. They have to live with these names for life. A girl named Spencer - i'm sorry but how many times in her life do you think she'll hear "Spencer....thats a boys name" queue years of low confidence.

My best friend's name is Dylan and she's never had any issues :/ Traditionally "boy" names on a girl aren't uncommon here. Maybe it's a regional thing? Where are you located OP? I'm in the northeast of the US, right outside Philadelphia. A more "liberal" area than others. A friend just named her little girl James and no one batted an eyelash. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me why people care so much about girls having "boy" names, but to each his own. I'm sure there are things that matter a great deal to me that others would think are silly. That's just the way things are I guess.

It is okay to have your opinions on names but there is no need to be rude about it. Also worth remember that different parts of the world have different trends.

For me Casey is feminine, I've never met a male Casey and I have a female Kaysie (I also have a boy Morgan and a girl Riley soooo :shrug: ).

So, as well as Casey, I love Drew and surprisingly (to me) Dylan for a girl.

I love Dylan for a girl. I also love Elliot but i couldn't deal with people spouting their mouth of about it being a 'boys' name, so haven't used it.

I'm from saskatchewan canada. I guess my names are on the masculine side.. But not totally, Casey, Drew, Andra and Camber are girl names in my opinion. Dylan and Spencer not so much. Unisex names are incredibly popular here. I have heard the following names for both boys and girls here: Greyson, Jayden, Payton, Ryan, Marley, Jamie, Shannon, Stacey, Jody, Lori... The list is endless. No one is surprised when a unisex name is used. I think the most important thing is to give your baby a name that suits them and try to avoid the top 100

So... I think I'm one of the few who voted for Camber. I liked it because I've never heard it before. While it does have a vaguely unisex vibe, it's not as aggressively yet predictably so compared to Dylan, Casey, Drew. To me these names (and ones like Riley, Logan, etc) on girls are just a bit too over-used to actually be edgy/cool, yet still grate on traditionalists because they used to be boys names. In short a bit of a suburban "yawn" factor.

Camber is less common (at least to my ears) so still has a fresh edge. Also because it has the word "amber" in it it harkens to a feminine name so when paired with the middle name Elizabeth it sounds more like some obscure/cool old fashioned name (in a good way) and not like a boy.

We will be using the middle name Elizabeth with our first name. First name options are:

Dylan
Casey
Camber
Wynne
Spencer
Drew
Andra

What do you like?!

I'm in the US - Andra, Camber, & Wynne - sound like only female names to me? I would actually feel bad for a guy to be named such a fem name?! :shrug:

Casey I know just as many males as females named Casey!

Ralph Lauren's daughter (Dylan) has a famous candy store in NYC called Dylan's Candy Bar.

Drew Barrymore is a gorgeous FEMALE actress??

Spencer is the only name on the list that I have only heard used on males, personally.

There are certain names I love for a boy, like Casey, Riley & Skyler, but girls have taken them over! lol

From your list I like Camber. Kind of like a cross between Amber & Kimber. Camber Elizabeth is really cute!! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->