Giving injections

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Does any ones child need injections on a regular basis? How do they cope?

Niamh's consultant is thinking about starting her on a medication called methotrexate next month if her ankle doesent settle down. They prefer to give it via injection as there is less side affects. It will be given once a week :-s

The district nurse can come do it or I can be trained up to do it. While I hate the idea of me doing it the idea of having to wait about for the district nurse is worse

Not the same I know; but Jude has the community nurse come out once a week at the mo to change the water in the balloon in his stomach.

I'm being trained to do it each week; and when I feel comfortable I'll do it myself. the only thing I don't know is how to keep him still to do it..... he REALLY fights and I'm frightened of hurting him- even with a second person there helping!

I think I would def inject him if I had to; but I would want a couple of times watching the community nurse do it first to build confidence. xx

Yeah I'd want a few weeks to practice. I'm thinking about doing it when she's asleep? When she's had her injections and bloods taken Shes ok with the needle, it's the being held she hates.

sounds similar to Jude and his oxygen, inhalers, steroids.... he doesn't care- until you touch him or hold him still :dohh:

xx

My son doesn't need regular injections but we have found having a dvd on as a distraction and not holding him, better when he have to do any kind of poking him better than holding him as its a fight on our hands. We give him a reward straight afterwards for good behaviour and it works really well.

Well this will be happening in the next few weeks, just waiting for the pharmacy to sort everything out.

My friend has to give her son injections for his diabetes and it got much easier for them both over time. At first it was very stressful though. She would also have a distraction then a reward at first - and her OH would help, but now (8mo later) it is much easier. I am thinking an injection only once a week would be a bit tougher since it's not something that happens as part of a daily routine so it would take more time to get used to it. But I would definitely want to do it myself once I felt comfortable enough. Hugs! xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->