Giving myself the best chance of a natural birth?

Jennifaerie

Mummy to 1, baking #2
Reaction score
I'm really worried about having to be induced :nope: my sister had a very very bad birth after an induction at 42 weeks and it couldn't have gone much more wrong. Warning don't read if you're likely to be upset x
it was a long labour and ended up with her son being starved of oxygen for 10 hours, he then had cerebral palsy and died just before his third bday. It was classed as negligence on behalf of the midwife

On top of that I have bad SPD and the midwife has said I shouldn't really have an epi or assisted deliver/ be in stirrups. I didn't want those things anyway as I've been hoping for as natural a birth as possible (though in a hospital considering what my sister went through) and am very much relying on the pool, aromatherapy, breathing and hypnobirthing for pain relief.

Of course if I'm induced my lovely water birth goes out of the window :cry:

I'm starting drinking RLT tomorrow and baby is already head down, though not yet engaged. I'm spending plenty of time on the birthing ball too.

Is there anything else I can do to better my chances of going into labour naturally at 37 - 42 weeks? I would rather not leave it past 42 weeks as that also worries me!

No 2 pregnancies, labours, births or babies are the same. What happened to your sister and her lo were terrible but they wont happen to you!

Thing with inductions hun is that they are all too often carried for no reason at all,and too many people aren't aware of the risks that an induction carries.

Was there a reason she was induced?

Being 42 weeks is not an excuse to induce unless there is a medical reason, a NORMAL pregnancy lasts from 37-42 weeks after all. An induction is only needed where there is some underlying issue that require baby to make an early entrance not because you're over you ESTIMATED due date. Too m ny inductions fail or end up emergencies because the body and baby are being forced to do something huge that they are not ready for yet.

There is no reason you cant have a good normal birth with no issues if things go well, the vast majority of women do have their babies by 42 weeks even if they are not induced. Keep active healthy and do not worry. Some people swear by RLT, evening primrose oil and starflower oil to help soften the cervix...its mostly anecdotal but if it makes you feel better its all about the oxytocin!

Worry and stress are the worst things for labour to start - you need oxytocin the love/happy/relaxed hormone for labour.

Anyway if you do happen to get towards 42 weeks you can opt for expectant management where you and baby are monitored on a daily basis to ensure everything is ok, they not only check babies heartbeat but look at the flow of oxygenated blood through the placenta/cord. The stats that the threat 'placenta stops working after 42 weeks' are based on research around 50 years old!! Things have moved on.

You are within your right to say NO to induction even past your EDD. Your body your baby your birth!

chuck said it all hun,
when labour starts being active and upright gives you the best chance of a natural delivery

Totally agree with Chuck. You're only 31 weeks along, you have plenty of time for baby to be engaged, some babies don't engage until labor starts. Try not to stress. Birth ball and squats are some nice exercises for that.

chuck said it all hun,
when labour starts being active and upright gives you the best chance of a natural delivery

Although saying that listen to your body.

Once I got past 7/8cm I couldn't have been upright and active if you offered me all the money in the world LOL.

MY body wanted my to stay still close my eyes and breathe...so I did. It felt good.

Your body knows when to birth your baby and how. Let it.

I can't really add anything else to what Chuck has mentioned...it was a good reply. Your sisters experience is awful and it's no wonder that it is playing on your mind. If I go post dates then I am not having an induction unless there is a strong medical reason to do so. I will be monitored and this has already been discussed with my midwife. If the time comes and you do end up going 42+ then this is an option for you. Try not to let the medical profession pressure you into induction for no sound reson.

I know it is dificult but try and keep relaxed and calm. Your body will give birth when you and the baby are ready. Xx

Thanks for the replies! They've made me feel much better! I'm not sure how I feel about going well over as I can't get out and about any more with my pelvis being dodgy so god knows how I will feel in ten weeks time. Plus dh doesn't have any extra time off and my hospital is 40 mins away. Guess ill just see hiw we go x

I've just had my first mug of RLT and it was lovely - no BH thankfully but a very active baby in there. Guess she liked it too!

well I'm right where you're hoping not to be; 42 weeks pregnant today!!! lol. But I'm refusing any inducing so far.

I had the, almost obligatory, doctors visit earlier this week where the doc told me how they don't like to let you go over 42 weeks, and so they'd like to induce me a day or two before then so I won't go over. And what the risks are of going overdue and all that jazz. I smiled, nodded, and told her that I don't want to make any dates for inducing at this stage and will continue with the monitoring for now thanks. lol!

Thankfully my midwife is really good and is happy if I wanted to go with being induced, but is also happy to just monitor me closely and let me wait as well. I just had another CTG monitoring yesterday (doing them every other day at the moment, will be every day if I don't go soon though!) and my midwife confirmed that I want to keep waiting [as long as the CTG came back good of course] and when I said yup, she said that's fine; she'll keep the doctors away from me while I'm hooked up to the monitor then cos she doesn't want them coming along and trying to pressure me into inducing! :)

I'm happy waiting. I'd like this baby to be here already, but I'm happier waiting than being induced at this point. :)

well I'm right where you're hoping not to be; 42 weeks pregnant today!!! lol. But I'm refusing any inducing so far.

I had the, almost obligatory, doctors visit earlier this week where the doc told me how they don't like to let you go over 42 weeks, and so they'd like to induce me a day or two before then so I won't go over. And what the risks are of going overdue and all that jazz. I smiled, nodded, and told her that I don't want to make any dates for inducing at this stage and will continue with the monitoring for now thanks. lol!

Thankfully my midwife is really good and is happy if I wanted to go with being induced, but is also happy to just monitor me closely and let me wait as well. I just had another CTG monitoring yesterday (doing them every other day at the moment, will be every day if I don't go soon though!) and my midwife confirmed that I want to keep waiting [as long as the CTG came back good of course] and when I said yup, she said that's fine; she'll keep the doctors away from me while I'm hooked up to the monitor then cos she doesn't want them coming along and trying to pressure me into inducing! :)

I'm happy waiting. I'd like this baby to be here already, but I'm happier waiting than being induced at this point. :)

Thanks for your reply! Hope your LO arrives very very soon! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"