Giving up?!

Littlebabyf

married
Reaction score
My DS2 is 5 days old and I have exclusively breastfed him so far but i am exhausted. I have been nursing since 9pm (8 hours) and he will not come away from the breasts at all. Since 1am i have tried co sleeping but latch isnt great lying down and he is suckling away which is hard to sleep through anyway then he loses the boob and is frantic to find it again so wakes me up crying and headbutting me. I need to sleep!! I bf DS1 for 9 months and don't recall nursing this much. Theres no point in even trying to go to bed at night. I think its bottles from tomorrow unless anyone can help?!..

Sounds like baby is hitting his first growth spurt and is just letting your body know to kick up production. He may also just need that extra snuggle/comfort time. My LO had 2 really long cluster feeds at 5 days old and 2 weeks (36 and 39 hours). I just kept telling myself "this too shall pass" and eventually it did and sleep was had again :) If you need to hand baby off and have someone else feed him so you can rest, that is okay. Just know that it won't be like this all the time. Hang in there...I've been there and it DOES gets better :hugs:

Hang in there! I had a horrible 18 hours where my baby almost nursed that entire period with no break when she was about 8 days old. It was just a growth spurt and only lasted those 18 hours and then it was over. She still nurses frequently but nothing like that...so please hang in there because the spurt should be over in 24 hours...48 MAX and you will be happy you kept going. It gets way easier and will improve very soon! :hugs:

Can you get to a baby café/breastfeeding cafe near you? They have peer supporters (like the people here they've been there done that!) and often a lactation consultant.

Of you could call NCT, LLL, ABM of other breastfeeding support network and ask for a home visit. They could help you improve the lying down latch and will often stay for hours at a time (if you want them to) until you feel more comfortable and able to continue your bf journey. one NCT lady stayed comforting my LO while I cooked myself a meal as it was 3pm and I hadn't eaten all day!!

There is support out there if you want it but sometimes you have to push really hard to get it (I see your South West so you may be a bit more remote than some UK locations).

Good luck!

Very common cluster feeding to build up your milk supply. Usually only lasts a day or 2, miserable while it lasts I know, but normal newborn behaviour.

I've had a couple nights like that, too. The pediatrician told me that if he's eaten within the last hour and I am burned out on nursing that I can find another way to soothe him. That usually ends up being pacing in the hallway or bouncing on the ball, both of which also suck when you're falling asleep haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->