Glamourizing Army Jobs and Raising Recruitment Age

Special_Kala- yes I know its not appropriate to show them the negative sides which is my point, they shouldn't be showing it at all seeing as they cannot be 100% honest about life in the army. I don't know why they showed it in the first place? Children will be walking around with inaccurate picture of what army life is like iykwim?

but they will grow up and learn the other side of it but at least they will be open to the idea of joining the army?

An 18 year old is old enough to be able to weigh up the pros and cons of army life and make a decision

If they had put on newsround a soldier killing an innocent person at war then you would moan about that aswell!!!

I don't really think it matter what children think about jobs really as it doesn't affect them until they're an adult (or close to one).
& People need to join the army or we wouldn't have one :shrug: Why shouldn't they show they positives as well as the negative (which we all know there are).

Special_Kala- yes I know its not appropriate to show them the negative sides which is my point, they shouldn't be showing it at all seeing as they cannot be 100% honest about life in the army. I don't know why they showed it in the first place? Children will be walking around with inaccurate picture of what army life is like iykwim?

have u actualy experienced army life or are u just going by what u see on the news?

all adverts for anything arent 100% honest. tv is full of bullshit, and the adverts promoting the army are showing the good side as they cant say yes join us and u might have to kill a child suicide bomber could they?

we need a army in the country, and they do a good job in protecting us, if they dont advertise how do u suggest they get new recruites?

Moomin- abit of both, my dad was a Major in the air force, but also what I see and hear via media and other sources. I don't believe though that to have an objective debate that you have to actually have experienced something. You don't have to experience a gunshot to know that it would be traumatic for a child.

Since the decision to join is made at 16, why then show children the clip? Why promote it at schools? Why spend money going around depicting army life to people who won't "make" the decision for a decade or so? The answer is because they are trying to influence the children, is it not? Otherwise the whole purpose of promotion is defeated, right?

Since they are overtly trying to promote military careers to children, who won't make that decision for years to come as has been pointed out, is it then not unethical to show them inaccurate versions of army life? Surely their promotion should be honest seeing as this forms the basis of the decision to be made later on.

Wow!!

As I said in my post, newsround before has shown the negative side, my son came home worried about the wars and people dying because his school show newsround every day. He is seven, this was shown when he was six and the negative stuff actually made him say he wants to be in the army when he is grown up, because he wants to make a difference. So regardless children will say things, make judgements and opinion's. :shrug:

I honestly didnt know they go into schools, they didnt my secondry school and it wasnt discussed at all in my school.

when my brother went into the marines he knew what he was going into, he researched it, saw images in the media of people with missing limbs, death ect but he was determined he wanted a carreer in the forces. Everyone at 16 im sure has to know what to sort of expect the word 'war' doesnt exactly conjure up images of frollocking through fields of daisys. Also without advertising for recruits we wouldnt have an army.

<3

They show recruiting videos to young kids in schools :wacko:?

when i was at college doing public services the army would come to college to try and recruit (i was 16) but ive never heard of them going into high schools or primary schools :wacko:

<3

me neither. it's rather odd why theyd waste time on little kids anyway :shrug: not like they can apply anyway!

They don't :wacko: The military can only go into Secondary schools and only after gaining permission from the school itself. For instance my secondary school did not allow the military to put information out or visit. If they are granted permission, they are then only allowed to pitch the career choices at school children aged 16 or over.

It's no different to when you see the careers stand on the high street. The information is the same, and they will only talk to kids about reciting who are over 16.

I'm not sure where this inaccurate information is coming from. I actually do recruitment for the Army and this is starting to annoy me. I have worked on recruitment stands and the first thing we ask is how old someone is. If they are 16-18 we ask where their parents are. If they don't have parents with them, we give them a card and tell them to come into the office with their parents.

My brother was actually put off by the army, he went to their recuritment office up at the strand in London and they were so direct with what would happen, both the long recuritment process and what army life is like, that it made him change his mind even though he had thought it was the career he wanted for many years.

I think Moomin (sorry if I'm wrong Moomin) said her DH, as part of his duties, used to go to schools to give talks etc - correct me if I'm wrong Moomin. A PP also said they show newsroung at schools, so thats promotion as well (although perhaps down to the media and school administrators).

That was me that said they show it in school and it isnt to advertise the army that they watch newsround, they watch it every day so they can learn about issues in the world today, as they happen. The school believe it is important.

The EIS in Scotland have long campaigned against Army recruiting in schools.

I think Moomin (sorry if I'm wrong Moomin) said her DH, as part of his duties, used to go to schools to give talks etc - correct me if I'm wrong Moomin. A PP also said they show newsroung at schools, so thats promotion as well (although perhaps down to the media and school administrators).

my oh didnt get the job but basicaly the job was going into highschools and talking to those in their last yr about joining the army (so it was aged 14-16 yr old he would of spoke to) and also work in recruitment offices which are based in town centre. so he wouldnt of spoken to anyone under the of 14.

also lightworker i asked if u had experience of army life because u commented about army life. even tho im married to the army i can ever only comment on how army life has been like for me and my OH. so i do feel to comment on a life style it can be important to have expeirenced it first

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->