Glamourizing Army Jobs and Raising Recruitment Age

So if my child comes to me tomorrow and says "I want to be a nurse" Should I say no darling thats dangerous you could get infected with HIV or something like that.

How about Police Officer?! No darling too dangeous you could get shoot.

Firemen? You could get trapped in a burning house.

Architect? You could fall off the scaffolding.

Every single job on earth has its dangers, bt the job of a soldier is more in the public eye due to the news (and so are firefighters, policemen etc)
The army would be insane if they wouldnt give a new recruit the full picture.

A friend of my hubby and me died in Afghan in 2009, he was a young lad (24/25 at the time I believe) He joined after school. His dad and grandad both served in the same regiment he did therefore he knew what army life is all about and the potential dangers. But he still joined and loved being a soldier so much.

Every new recruit knows the dangers in theory and gets trained as best as they can for combat bt nothing prepares them for the 1st firefight.
I think in the age of the internet recruits can inform themselves much better about whats going on thn maybe people who joined 10/15 yrs ago.

Recruitement officers are experienced soldier, they wouldnt do their job properly if they would give the recruits just pink, fluffy bullsh*t.

In every nursery there are dressing up clothes for different jobs, why nt a uniform?! Not every soldier is just using their gun....they build bridges, fobs, schools, roads, clear areas for civvies...it's not all about firing their gun and killing somebody.

Children do not see soldiers as road builders but as fighters. We have a no gun play policy and this is why we do not have an army dressing up outfit in our nursery.

Children do not see soldiers as road builders but as fighters. We have a no gun play policy and this is why we do not have an army dressing up outfit in our nursery.

I totally understand the no gun policy. Im a nursery nurse myself so I know where that is coming from, but I will always make sure that my children know that daddy isnt going to afghan to kill but to help.
The military isnt just full of infantry regiments, but also has engr regiments, medical corps, RAF pilots etc.

I think we should aim to educate our children to see soldiers in a variety of jobs, not just as somebody who kills with guns and tanks.

I totally understand the no gun policy. Im a nursery nurse myself so I know where that is coming from, but I will always make sure that my children know that daddy isnt going to afghan to kill but to help.
The military isnt just full of infantry regiments, but also has engr regiments, medical corps, RAF pilots etc.

I think we should aim to educate our children to see soldiers in a variety of jobs, not just as somebody who kills with guns and tanks.

i agree. there is so much more to a soliders job then going to war and killing people. my oh was a machanic therefore his main job was not to fight. like when people were trapped abroad due to the volcanic ash....who rescued them? the army, navy and raf.

to hide children away from what a solider really does is daft as the military is such a big part of this country and i want my boys to grow up respecting those who protect this country

i agree. there is so much more to a soliders job then going to war and killing people. my oh was a machanic therefore his main job was not to fight. like when people were trapped abroad due to the volcanic ash....who rescued them? the army, navy and raf.

to hide children away from what a solider really does is daft as the military is such a big part of this country and i want my boys to grow up respecting those who protect this country

I do wonder if this is regional? In all honesty, despite there being regiments around this area, the army play no real part in life here. I wonder if people have more awareness in other areas? For example, in areas with a RAF base children are probably a lot more aware than in places like here where the vast majority of people have jobs with no connection to the army.

I do wonder if this is regional? In all honesty, despite their being regiments around this area, the army play no real part in life here. I wonder if people have more awareness in other areas? For example, in areas with a RAF base children are probably a lot more aware than in places like here where the vast majority of people have jobs with no connection to the army.

I agree. Other than the careers centre at the west end idk any places they do recruitment or anything :shrug:

Yeah I totally understand that there's many elements to the military and even things I'm passionate about like their involvement in humanitarian intervention, but I still think military careers should not be aimed at children under recruitment age. I think another thing that influenced my view is the film with Sam L Jackson and Jessica Biel, will check the name of it.

military careers arent aimed at children tho, just because it happened to be on newsround doesnt mean its like that all the time.
yesterday zane got it in his head he was a doctor, and last week he was a fireman because he sees it all the time in cartoons. they are dangerous jobs but people dont make a fuss about that saying that fireman sam doesnt give the real image of a firefighters job.

if zane grows up still wanting to be a fireman then im sure when he gets older he will no its not just getting cats out of trees or rescuing naughty boys, but im not going to stop him running round putting out fires throughout the house.

in my town there is a big raf now army base (thats how i met hubby) so ive never been fussed about it and a military career has never been pushed on anyone whos grown up here. makes for a good night out when the army lads are out tho haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->