Glucose Test

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I went to my dr today and she recommend I do the 1 hr gct...kind of a surprise as I expected to do it another day.

I've eaten cereal in the morning and put sugar in my tea. Would this influence my result?

Getting dizzy while waiting lol.

You can't do it if you've eaten, it needs to be a fasting test or it will influence your result. They need to make you an appointment for another day. Where I am they give you the drink at about 9am and you're not allowed to eat or drink anything other than water from 12 midnight.

In my last pregnancy I did the 1 hr test without fasting. They told me I could eat but not to go crazy on sugary things like donuts...but I had my normal breakfast that day. Some places don't do it fasting. I guess I'm worried because of the cereal and sugar in my tea whereas last time I had 2 boiled eggs and no sugar in my tea lol.

They'll do the 3 hr gtt with fasting if this one is high.

I did the 1hr test without fasting. The 3hr fasting. I failed both miserably =[

I took the glucose test the other day on an empty stomach. Man, it was gross! I didn't want to take any chances so I didn't eat the entire morning. It sucked. I bought breakfast and had it sitting in my car and scarfed it down when the appt was over. Hehe. No GD here!

My doctor just warned me against anything really sugary before the test. Apparently she has a lot of patients who will fail and then admit to her that they ate a big bowl of cocoa puffs and a donut right before the test!:dohh:

I had scrambled eggs with spinach a few hours before my test and passed with no problem. Unless you heaped sugar in your tea or your cereal was really sweet I would imagine you should be fine.

My doctor just warned me against anything really sugary before the test. Apparently she has a lot of patients who will fail and then admit to her that they ate a big bowl of cocoa puffs and a donut right before the test!:dohh:

I had scrambled eggs with spinach a few hours before my test and passed with no problem. Unless you heaped sugar in your tea or your cereal was really sweet I would imagine you should be fine.

I'm glad t9 hear this. Hoping it goes well. Should hear back on Saturday.

My dr says the same thing - 1 hr is non fasting, but don't overload on a sugar that morning. If you fail this one, I'd request to take the 1 hr again before you take the 3 hr fasting one.

FYI - I failed both tests with my DD and tested my blood sugar 4x/day for the last 10 weeks. My numbers were all within limits. This time, I told my OB that if I failed the 1 hr, I just wanted to test my blood sugar, instead of doing the 3 hr (it made me nauseous, headachy and I figured it would just turn out the same as last time). I did fail the 1 hr, but my dr had me test my blood sugar 4x/day for 1 week and send her the numbers. All of them were fine and she said I was fine. Just to test occasionally and she'd dip my urine at each appt to watch for too much sugar.

My dr says the same thing - 1 hr is non fasting, but don't overload on a sugar that morning. If you fail this one, I'd request to take the 1 hr again before you take the 3 hr fasting one.

FYI - I failed both tests with my DD and tested my blood sugar 4x/day for the last 10 weeks. My numbers were all within limits. This time, I told my OB that if I failed the 1 hr, I just wanted to test my blood sugar, instead of doing the 3 hr (it made me nauseous, headachy and I figured it would just turn out the same as last time). I did fail the 1 hr, but my dr had me test my blood sugar 4x/day for 1 week and send her the numbers. All of them were fine and she said I was fine. Just to test occasionally and she'd dip my urine at each appt to watch for too much sugar.

That's actually a very good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->