• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Glucose tolerance test

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
Does everyone do this? Or only if you fail/get an abnormal glucose test before? I'm trying to figure out if everyone does this, or if its only for those who may be suspected to have GD.

Thanks!

i think they have everyone do this between 26 and 28 weeks, usually the first one is an hour long...you drink flat fruit punch or orange flavored stuff, and then hang out for an hour (bring a book or something to do, i read my way through all the waiting room magazines about halfway through) and then they draw your blood. Mine took about 3 days to come back with the results, and they sent me a letter in the mail saying all was within normal limits..but they would call and let you know if something was off also..all in all it isnt too horrible..i think it was maybe 8 ounces (10 at most) and just tasted off, not bad though....good luck :flower:

Oh ok, so then I'm assuming if you fail that one, then you go for the 3 hour one, right?

Thanks!

Policy depends on where you live in the world. Some places do everyone between 24-28 weeks for a 50g gestational challenge. Others do a 75g full 2 hour OGTT for those with identified risk factors.

I had mine yesterday and asked to go straight to the 75g which thankfully was normal, as with my last pregnancy they did 3 different 50g ones before doing a 75g which was normal, so I couldn't be doing with that stress and hassle again!

It's gross and inconvenient but then again lots of pregnancy related things are, no nothing new there haha! Good luck! :)

I've had one and I was originally asked by the hospital why I was having one as not everyone has one. They asked questions based on my family history, BMI and ethnicity. It was found I was having one due to my ethnicity x

The one hour 50g one is standard of care for everyone as a screening. If you fail they usually go to the 3 hour 100g challenge for confirmation ( in the US)

Depends on your practice as others have said. At my practice everyone is required to do a 2 hour GTT, regardless of risk factors. They don't do the 1 hour screening for some reason.

It wasn't too bad honestly. I was expecting much worse!

I'm having the 2 hour one with the risk factor of 'being obese'. The midwife did tell me I can turn it down if I wanted to, but the test doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure everyone does one at some point during every pregnancy. I only had to do a 1 hour one with DS. Haven't reached that point yet with this pregnancy. Not sure what would happen if I didn't pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->