Glucose tolerance test

rachieroo

2 Girls, 1 boy, 2 pmps.
Reaction score
Just wondering what to expect from someone who has been through it? It's the test where you fast from the night before and drink a solution and wait for 3 hours.

I have mine in the morning. Am I likely to feel unwell afterwards?

I recommend taking a snack with you for after - you'll need it. Mine was at 8:45am so had to fast from midnight the night before. They took a blood sample when I got in then gave us the drink. Where I am in the UK, not sure where you are, they mix this very very sweet liquid with water in a small plastic cup and also gave plain water to drink straight after, so that was a relief! We sat around for two hours and then they did a final blood draw. They told me if you have GD they will ring you, I never heard back though.

Good luck for it! You should be alright 😊😋

I found that I crashed really hard after the test from the sugar rush. I plan on taking the day off from work this time around as I was basically face planted on my desk the whole day last time.

Oh wow! I'm in MA in the states and I'll be taking the glucose test next week, but you only have to do an hour waiting and no fasting! If you fail that one, then you do the longer test with the fast. I've heard the stuff they make you drink isn't as bad as I'm thinking *lol* I'm just a little anxious about it because I don't do well with keeping down weird things! Good luck!

In my first pregnancy they measured out lucozade and in this one (different part of the country) they had a special glucose solution. Both times I was desperate for a drink by the time I got there as the fasting includes only being able to have a few sips of water.
It's a bit unpleasant to have to drink so much of a sugary drink in a short space of time. I'd suggest taking a book or something to keep yourself entertained and a snack for afterwards.
In my first one I had a fasting test, a 1 hour and a 2 hour. This time I just had fasting and 2 hour. Not sure if guidelines changed or if it was just a different area.
All the best!

My hospital expected you to take a snack to eat afterwards. They weren't happy to let you go home till you had had a brew and a snack. I didn't feel unwell at all, completely normal :)

I had to go for the test with my last baby & that glucose drink is the most rotten thing ever (I'm in Belfast). They took blood samples when I arrived, then an hour after the drink & then again another hour after that. The drink is the worst bit. Once I had a sandwich & cup of tea afterwards I was ok. My result came back clear, but unfortunately I am being sent to do the test again next week 😫. Can I ask what level your blood sugars were sitting at to make you need the test? Mine were 7.1

I've had the first blood test done and the drink which was no where near as bad as I was expecting but I do have a sweet tooth. I have to wait and have another blood draw at 11 and then hopefully can go home.

I'm in Wales :)

To be totally honest I am feeling a little sick but not sure if it's in my head lol.

In the UK its routine to do the oral glucose tolerance test if you meet the criteria. I'm having it done because my bmi is over 30 (31 so only just lol).

My midwife told me to warn my manager I may not be well enough to go back to work and so I have no intention of going in when I have finished here! Takes the pressure off then :)

I think most people feel a little queasy after consuming that amount of glucose! Hope you get good results. On the off chance you do get diagnosed with gestational diabetes, check out the GD UK website and Facebook group. Brilliant support and information.

I think most people feel a little queasy after consuming that amount of glucose! Hope you get good results. On the off chance you do get diagnosed with gestational diabetes, check out the GD UK website and Facebook group. Brilliant support and information.

Thank you I will definitely take a look if u need to. They said I'll get a phone call by tomorrow if I've got GD.

Ug. This test always makes me feel super sick for the rest of the day after. I just plan it out as a sick day. :(

I was jittery in the wait after the drink
Think it was the sugar rush.
But I found drinking it very easy
Cos I was hungry :)
Was fine after eating after it :)

My midwife had me drink 8 oz of oj, eat an egg and a banana an hour before coming in and then doing your blood draw right away. At least that was last time since when I tried drinking the sugary drink I puked it all up.

I only wish I was that good at puking it up! I had GD with my first pregnancy and I KNOW I have it now. I'm dreading doing the test agan, why can't they believe me? When I have carbs with no protein I barf, even with protein if I have too many bad carbs like 2 pieces of bread instead of 1 I barf. My heart races and I feel really sick. Same reaction as my first pregnancy to sugary, carby foods but worse (twins maybe have higher hormone levels which make me more sensitive?)

I hope you don't have GD. You may have increased risk being a higher BMI but it can happen to anyone! I don't fit the typical profile of genetically being predisposed to GD ie Hispanic Etc I just have never really enjoyed sugary treats and gain weight terribly fast with carby foods which make me stick to meat & veg pregnant or not. I've always known I'm sensitive to sugar but it's awful feeling so sick with so many foods (noodles, bread, fruit in the morning, potato, rice). I'm sure and I hope you'll be fine.

2have4kids have you been given a blood sugar monitor? I had GD in my last pregnancy and was given the option of monitoring my blood sugars from 13 weeks (when I saw the consultant) or just having the GTT right away. I went with the GTT and was diagnosed again within a couple of days. Keep pushing your team about it, if you've got it again it's important that they're properly looking after you.

Yes I have a monitor. That's a good idea, I could track for the next 2 weeks before my GP appointment and the first OV appt is on Sept 15th. Maybe if they see how very few carbs seem to effect my blood sugar they won't make me do the test. I had to do 2 sugar drink tests last time, the second one send my heart beating so fast I had to lie down. I was jittery and felt sick all afternoon. I didn't need insulin though, it was totally diet-managed. I will certainly push to not to do it again. Thank you!

I have gone for 2 now. My doctor wanted an early one (around 24 weeks) and I passed that one, I just did my 28 week one today. I have no idea why she wanted two, something to do with the fact that I have hypothyroidism. Either way both tests I felt fine. She wanted me to fast for 5 hours prior to my test but no longer than 12. This was only her preference, some doctors don't even make you fast.
I drank the drink and sat and waited an hour. They didn't let me pee, instead they asked that I pee before the test. They don't allow you to walk around much. The first time I took the test I felt a bit queasy after. This time I was fine.
Its nothing to worry about, the results are really the most important thing!

Yes I have a monitor. That's a good idea, I could track for the next 2 weeks before my GP appointment and the first OV appt is on Sept 15th. Maybe if they see how very few carbs seem to effect my blood sugar they won't make me do the test. I had to do 2 sugar drink tests last time, the second one send my heart beating so fast I had to lie down. I was jittery and felt sick all afternoon. I didn't need insulin though, it was totally diet-managed. I will certainly push to not to do it again. Thank you!

I failed both tests with DD so with DS when I failed the first, I told my dr I just wanted to check my bloodsugar. she was fine with it and told me to only check occasionally after she saw my bs was fine if I ate food, instead of drinking sugar water. Already talked to midwife this time and she's in board for doing the same.

I'm sat having mine today.

I live in Buckinghamshire, and here you fast for 12h before your app. They take bloods, watch you drink this disgusting sugar syrup drink, then make you wait there for 2h before taking more bloods. They call if you have GD, otherwise no news is good news.

The only thing I find annoying is the fact that here, you can't leave the waiting area. I've got family in anther part of the hospital and I'm not allowed to leave to go see them :(

I'm in Belfast having mine done at the mo. Thankfully they have changed the drink. It's now a sweet thick orange flavored drink which is a hell of a lot better than what I had to drink 5yrs ago with my first. Make you fast from 10pm night before, take samples at 9am, then drink, then more samples at 10am & 11am. Should get the results later this afternoon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->