Goat??

WackyMumof2

Reaction score
So I don't think I will be breastfeeding this time because breast feeding makes me sleepy and leads to bad habits of co-sleeping and baby not wanting to sleep in his own bed. I enjoy feeding but I just don't like the consequences of late night feeding.

I've decided I will probably feed or a week so baby gets the colostrum BUT have a feeling that he/she will be a formula baby.

Our eldest is lactose intolerant. He eats dairy but too much leaves him with a very sore tummy, diarrhea and vomiting so he's restricted for that reason. Our third baby our GP suspects has Cow's Milk Protein Allergy and the smallest amount can leave him crying with a sore tummy. DS2 is okay.

Because of the history of dairy with DS1 and DS3, we have opted for Goat from the beginning for baby #4. Thinking back, I think it could be a hereditary condition as hubby is slightly lactose intolerant (and having asthma he's not supposed to have it anyway) as is my mother and youngest sister though they haven't been diagnosed but cut out the dairy all together and feel a millions time better than they used to.

What I want to know is, has anyone else taken this path from the start and how did it go? What do I need to know?? Soy isn't an option. Other than the fact that it stinks and doesn't mix very well, it doesn't taste very nice to the little ones and because we simply are not vegetarian.

Thanks in advance!!

I don't have any experience with goats milk but just wanted to say I'm the same this time, will likely breastfeed for a week but then switch to formula. With DS1 I was determined to breastfeed to the point where he was failing to thrive and the HV had to get a doctor to intervene and make me give him some formula. Looking back at his baby photos I feel so sad and guilty as he was as skinny as a rake and I was obviously the only one oblivious to the fact he wasn't thriving! Hopefully you get some answers re the goats milk soon 😀

Sarah xxx

I don't have any experience with goats milk but just wanted to say I'm the same this time, will likely breastfeed for a week but then switch to formula. With DS1 I was determined to breastfeed to the point where he was failing to thrive and the HV had to get a doctor to intervene and make me give him some formula. Looking back at his baby photos I feel so sad and guilty as he was as skinny as a rake and I was obviously the only one oblivious to the fact he wasn't thriving! Hopefully you get some answers re the goats milk soon 😀

Sarah xxx

Don't feel bad. We live and we learn and sometimes our best intentions aren't always the right option and it takes someone else to tell us that - even if it hurts. As long as he's a happy and healthy little man today, don't beat yourself up. You are worth more than that. <3

I haven't done anything other than breastfeeding and dairy based formula, so no experience with goat's milk based ones, but I would just talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about it first. I know there has been some good research to sure that cutting out certain foods (dairy, nuts, etc.) before 1 can lead to allergies and intolerance in babies who don't have one. Obviously, if your little one does have CMPI or lactose intolerance, that's different and you need to do it then, but I would be careful cutting it out if there is no reason to as you don't want to create the problem you were hoping to avoid.

That said, I did formula feed nearly form the start (from 6 weeks) and I can assure you it doesn't lead to babies who sleep through the night. Mine woke during the night until she was 3.5 and has only sttn regularly for the past year, even though she was formula fed and even after she dropped all night feeds at 9 months. It's normal for them to do that and it doesn't really matter how you feed them, though some people do just get lucky and have a baby that sleeps through very early on. The only thing is it's much harder to wake during the night and make a bottle. Now there's lots of good reasons not to breastfeed and I'm glad we switched to formula (due to health reasons for both of us) and we both faired much better. But it does mean you can be up longer in the night and it takes longer to get back to sleep when you do have to do night feeds. I also needed my husband's help as I couldn't hold our daughter and also boil the kettle at night, so we both had to get up when she needed a feed. When I was breastfeeding at least I didn't have to bother him as much. So that's not to discourage you but just to say it doesn't really eliminate those problems at all. Actually had I been able to breastfeed longer, I definitely think I would have gotten more and better quality sleep, but it just wasn't the right choice for us.

MindUtopia, I'm such a bad mother cow. Babies make me sleepy and it leads to bad sleeping habits for baby. I was stuck with Master 7 for 6 years and I don't want to go there with Master 8 months. Even now if I cuddle LO too long I tend to fall asleep with him in my arms and it's become such a habit that he wakes up crying when I put him into his own bed. At least with formula (even if just at night), it's creating a consistent feeding pattern if baby is going straight back to bed afterwards. Just means no feeding in bed and so I don't fall asleep I need to get up and turn on the telly. As for the hassle of making a bottle, that one I have sorted. :) I have a formula despenser and a thermos so I can measure out formula, put hot water into a thermos and put some boiled water in a bottle so when I need it, it just needs to be topped up with hot water and the formula added. Been doing that for months because it's easier for hubby when I'm at work and it's working pretty well. :)

I hadn't really thought about the possibility of creating a allergy by trying to avoid one to be honest. But it makes sense. I'm just wondering if given the history of DS1 and DS3 as well as hubby, my mother and sister if it's worth taking the risk. But I will talk to my GP about the benefits and consequences of doing so. He supported my choice in using Goat this time so I imagine I'll have it again but he will probably want to be observant for several months just to make sure baby is okay. Thank you for that input. I hadn't thought about it like that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->