Going back to school 20 Sept, advice?

DaisyDreamer

mama to a beautiful boy
Reaction score
Hi all, I am starting school in a couple of weeks and my combi fed (breastmilk and solids) baby will be missing about 4 feeds per Tues Wed Thurs and then maybe one feed on Monday or Friday.

Pumping hasn't really worked super great for me but may be I've been doing it wrong. Don't really want to carry around a double pump because I'll be bussing it and it's rather cumbersome.

I plan on breastfeeding a full feed right before I need to leave and try to not to stick around after class to feed him when we get home. We co-sleep and night feed so I was wondering if that make up for the time missed when I'm in school?

How should I set a pumping schedule to coordinate with my classes and feeds? We nurse on demand and during the day it can be pretty erratic

Any help is apreciated, thank you

I got a single manual pump for when I was at school. It fit easily in my purse and it was pretty inexpensive. As a nice unexpected bonus I actually ended up having a way easier time pumping with it than I did with my electric pump.

I would pump whenever I had the chance between classes or during breaks. I usually only got 10-15 minutes at a time but it was okay. It gave me some extra milk that I didn't have to worry about pumping at home, it helped with engorgment, and it kept up my supply. So maybe worth a try if you can spare $30-40 for a single manual pump.

When I pumped at home I would feed only from one side overnight and then pump from the side I wasn't feeding from first thing in the morning. Then a full feed from both breasts before I left. Then same thing when I got home - I'd pump from one side and let her feed from the other. And then nurse as normal the rest of the evening.

I got a single manual pump for when I was at school. It fit easily in my purse and it was pretty inexpensive. As a nice unexpected bonus I actually ended up having a way easier time pumping with it than I did with my electric pump.

I would pump whenever I had the chance between classes or during breaks. I usually only got 10-15 minutes at a time but it was okay. It gave me some extra milk that I didn't have to worry about pumping at home, it helped with engorgment, and it kept up my supply. So maybe worth a try if you can spare $30-40 for a single manual pump.

When I pumped at home I would feed only from one side overnight and then pump from the side I wasn't feeding from first thing in the morning. Then a full feed from both breasts before I left. Then same thing when I got home - I'd pump from one side and let her feed from the other. And then nurse as normal the rest of the evening.

This sounds really ideal! Thanks for the advice. Would I start pumping a day or two before school to give LO milk? We have been considering a goats milk formula made by hand for when I am away if solids and my BM doesn't suffice at first, thoughts?

You mean pumping a day or two early to build up a stash/get used to pumping throughout the day or to get your LO used to taking a bottle while you're gone? Either way not a bad idea!

There's for sure nothing wrong with having a backup either. I think when I left my LO at first to go back to school I worried way too much about how she would adapt and she ended up being just fine with almost everything, but you never know. If you'd feel more at ease having the formula around then go for it. We had a bin of formula that went completely unused because I always worried she'd want more milk than I had left one day when I was gone but it never happened. But I did feel better knowing it was there if she needed it.

You mean pumping a day or two early to build up a stash/get used to pumping throughout the day or to get your LO used to taking a bottle while you're gone? Either way not a bad idea!

There's for sure nothing wrong with having a backup either. I think when I left my LO at first to go back to school I worried way too much about how she would adapt and she ended up being just fine with almost everything, but you never know. If you'd feel more at ease having the formula around then go for it. We had a bin of formula that went completely unused because I always worried she'd want more milk than I had left one day when I was gone but it never happened. But I did feel better knowing it was there if she needed it.

I mean to build my stash in fridge for the first day back.

What manual pump did you use? I have used a standard medela pump that can be hooked up to an electric, also a Harmony hand pump which I really liked too.

On Tues and Thurs I have class 10-12 with one 10 minute break (which I will use to pump) and another class 1:00-4:30 with another break. Wednesdays I just go to the later class. From what I hear the instructor is flexible (my OH took the same class the year prior). So I don't think I'll be going too long without pumping.

How much did you usually get, and did you pump from both sides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->