Going backward in communication

hivechild

Mummy to Ronan
Reaction score
Is it common around this age (15-16 months)?

Ronan knows and has used quite a few words, and several signs which he's been very quick to pick up on, but in the last week or two, he's just been grunting and whinging, he'll point or just grouse and the only things he says to try and communicate verbally is 'zis' (this), or 's'at' (what's that?) for EVERYTHING and it's driving me nuts. He won't sign anything except milk and he randomly uses that for 'I'm hungry/thirsty/tired.'

He's also been doing this reaaally annoying fake cry when he's not getting what he wants. I have no idea where he learnt it or what gave him the idea that it would actually work!

The only way I can get any idea of what he wants is for me to ask him to "Show mummy/daddy what you'd like?"

He understands most everything that we say to him or do with him and shows comprehension, and he was doing so well with his verbal and sign skills but now he just doesn't want any part of it!

I'm pretty sure it's just a phase and he'll never shut up when he starts talking again, but I'd like to know I'm not alone in the frustration!

Megan was a very early talker but she goes through phases of wanting to say words &/or learn new words. She understands everything - I'm amazed always as what she understands. But communication wise I think they get frusterated easily & give up on the communication when that happens. When she is tired, very hungry, teething, or concentrating more on physical skills then her words go out the window. So as far as telling me what she wants - it rarely happens - as that is typically when she is hungry or upset about a toy,etc.

Her words right now are used more for identifying things - if I give her a cup of juice she will say cup or juice. But she wont ask for it -even when I ask her if she is thirsty or if she wants juice,etc. She'll just whine & run to the fridge & try to get the door open. This morning I pointed to her doll's facial features & asked her what is that? And she answered nose, eye, mou(th), cheek. But without me prompting she wouldnt have said anything outloud. But 5 min later she sad "sit in it" while running to sit on her kids couch - so maybe it was just a verbal kind of day! LOL \At the times she isnt talking I try to remember she may be working on learning something else.

BTW - she had a huge developmental growth spurt at 17mo - with lots of pretend play, tons of new words,etc. 14-16mo she concentrated on her walking and physical skills.

Jessa is pretty consistent in what she will and won't sign.. mostly drink, eat and help but she rarely says anything at all.. mama if she's upset and if she goes exploring everything is dada but nothing has really changed recently (She's 10 days shy of 16 months) I have noticed that the "i do it myself" phase has just started for her and she'll get instantly upset if we try help her with something.

last month she did get her signs all garbled though and would use eat for want and drink for eat...

I was going to ask the same question. Connor used to say several words that he won't say anymore. Everything now is either that or ball.
He used to pick up his duck and say duck but now he calls it a ball. Same with cup.
He used to sign milk, all done and more but now he won't sign anymore. :shrug:

At 14 months Daisy started saying new words everyday and developed quite a big vocabulary but in the last 6 weeks or so she's slowed right down with her speech. She says the words she knows but it is ages since she has said a new word or even a new sound or copied us saying things.

Yes, we have the same thing with certain words and,signs that she won't use any more and we also have the frustrated wingey thing. She points at things and just says 'dat, dat' and when we don't know what she means she has a meltdown. I am hoping that this is the phase that precedes her communication really taking off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->