Going from cot to bed

annas mama

Reaction score
My LO is 23 months old, and last night she gave me the shock of my life. She is always very good at going to bed. Never fusses. Occasionally lately she has started waking up and screaming between midnight and 2am. Nothing will calm her down, except, and this is probably my own fault, coming into our bed for an hour or so, then she will usually go back in her cot without fuss.

I decided last night though that enough was enough, so when she woke up, I went into her room, told her it was night time and time to sleep, tried to put her back down, but she just clung on to me, I gave her a cuddle, and put her back again. Tried the musical box, lying down on the floor beside her cot, everything to no avail. So I decided to give her 10 minutes alone, and see what happened, went back to bed and listened to her have a major paddy attack on the monitor. After about 10 minutes things went very quiet, and I was just thinking I would give it 5 more minutes before going in to check on her, when my bedroom door swung open, and there she was! The devil had somehow abseiled up and over her cot side! We're thinking she may have ordered a ladder from QVC!

But seriously, I am desperate for advice. There is a bed, all ready to go in her room, but is she old enough for it? I guess it's better for her to be in bed than to be doing stunts to get out of the cot. Will buy a bed guard tomorrow, but do I want one on both sides or one side? Is a duvet OK for her at 23 months, what about a pillow.

Would love some friendly advice from others who have survived the cot to bed decision making!

We've just gone through the same thing this week with Charlotte at just under 15 months. It feels so young but she could escape the cot too.

We've put her in the bed and put a cot guard up on one side and the bed against the wall the other side. She still climbs into the bed up and over the end of the bed though :dohh:

The first time we tried it was their lunchtime nap and DH had just assembled the bed and we plonked her in it and hoped for the best. Not good... she just ransacked the bedroom. It all went quiet for a bit but when we went in it was because she was using the drawers in the chest of drawers as steps to climb up to reach the books on top of it! :shock::rofl:

We've emptied everything else out of the room for now... no tempting toys on the floor or chest until she gets used to staying in. We let them both play on the bed that afternoon which they love and things have been much better since then.

DH had to get up to her once last night because she was wandering around and this morning I've had to put her back once but actually she's been loads better than I expected. It remains to be seen what happens when we move things back in, but I'm hoping it'll be ok.

I'm thinking about getting her a duvet as she loves our bed and always snuggles under the duvet but neither of them are too fussed about their sheets and blankets.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

i moved ellie into a bed when she was 2 and a half and that was because she could climb out of it and i was adviced by my health visiter that when they do that it is time for the change. giving a duvet and pillow is fine they dont advice a pillow under the age of 1. i have a bed guard on just one side with the bed against the wall.....good luck hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->