Going off sick

annio84

Grace's mummy
Reaction score
Need some advice ladies, I have agonised over this and feel awful about doing it but I've been struggling for weeks.

So I'm a nurse on a busy stroke unit so you can imagine my job is really physical. I have pgp, feel breathless and sick all the time, keep waking up with severe pain in my sternum and have had loads of migraines in the last few weeks. I last worked on Saturday and ended up sat on the floor in the clinic crying while I was meant to be making Iv meds for a patient who couldn't breathe. Anyway, it's made me realise work isn't safe for me or baby, and I'm not safe for my patients. So my question is, how do I ask my doctor to sign me off? I only have 3 weeks until I go on annual leave and then my mat leave will start but I just can't do it. I've only been signed off once before after my mmc in January and I was just given a sick note with the information about my options. I feel bad taking up a valuable appointment just to ask for a sick note because there's not really anything my gp can do about the symptoms.

Sorry this is very rambly but any advice would be appreciated.

Absolutely go and see the doctor! That's the only way you can get a sick note and you are not wasting anyone's time. I'm stopping work at 33 weeks this time around as I have SPD like you and it's becoming unbearable, I feel a bit silly going on at leave so early but I'm so miserable and uncomfortable and it's such a struggle. there's no point killing yourself just to get through another few weeks! You would feel awful if something happened to a patient because you weren't feeling good and made a mistake. Just go to the doctor and explain how you feel, they will absolutely sign you off. And rest my lovely, it's what I plan on doing the last few weeks! X

I agree, just go in and get the note. Your doctor won't mind. If nothing else, it will be a way to make sure your doctor is also up to date on how you are feeling.

I agree, definitely go and get a sick note from the doctor. You won't wasting their time at all. I have SPD too and it's absolutely miserable, I've been counting myself lucky I'm not working atm (currently a sahm) as genuinely don't think I'd manage, it's hard enough at home! Especially with all the other symptoms you have, take the time off and put your feet up:flower: hope your feeling better soon!

Thanks ladies. I went and he signed me off no problem. I feel such a relief to know I don't have to drag myself there anymore. I'm just going to relax and rest now

That's a relief. I hope you get plenty of rest and are feeling better soon :hugs:

Im a nurse too. Go and see your GP. If they sign you off for something like stress it's non pregnancy related and your work place cannot make you start mat leave early. I totally understand the pressures, working on an acute medical ward myself. Self care is paramount.

Thanks ladies. I went and he signed me off no problem. I feel such a relief to know I don't have to drag myself there anymore. I'm just going to relax and rest now

I'm so glad! Relax now while you can xx

That's great news:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"