Going Outside in Winter? Argument with OH ;)

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
OH and I are having an argument at the moment, about wether or not I can be taking Claire out for walks (or on the bus) in winter.

I'm of the opinion that it's too cold outside. From the car to wherever is one thing, waiting at a bus stop and then having to transfer downtown then taking another bus up to the other end of town is too long for her to be outside. We've had *some* warm days here, although warm in winter here is somewhere above -10c. Generally we sit somewhere between -20c to -10c, every year is different. This isn't factoring in the windchill, which can make -10c feel alot colder than what it is.

I don't have a car, and am getting cabin fever. I want to get out! OH thinks I can, so long as I bundle her up properly in the carseat/stroller. We do have sheltered bus stops, the bus stop is about a 2-4 min walk from our condo.

Opinions? We tried looking on the net, but it was really hard to find something specific to our debate, so to speak. I found alot of stuff on taking 6-7 month old babies out in winter, which I wouldn't have as much of a problem with, but Claire is only 6 weeks old. I'm thinking it's too cold for her to have prolonged exposure to really cold temperatures.

To get from our condo to say, the mall... we'd be about an hour and a half on the bus system. Our transit system sucks, everything goes downtown and then all the routes are meandering about. The buses are heated, but with the doors opening and closing for the stops it isn't that warm on them (but certainly not as cold as outside).

I'd love to be able to bring her out, but I'm not willing to risk her getting sick. Am I being too overprotective (as my OH is accusing me of)?

Anyone with links to this would be great as well!

hi honey, this is a difficult debate! tbh i suppose i can't really relate as living in England it never gets 'that' cold, though that said we're currently having some very strange cold weather atm, and by that i mean, tonight it may go down to -7, but thats not very often an normally atm sits about 2/5oc.

with the weather being as it has been i haven't really taken maddi out as its been quite cold, but mainly when it rains, it drives me mad if i'm honest the rain. but i have taken her out in it (cold) this week and it wasn't that bad. but its very different for us, i drive, maddi's alot older and the weather here is much warmer.

i don't think i could stay in all the time though, i don't blame you for wanting to get out, maybe a trip once a week or so would do you both good, that said, if i was in your shoes and maddi was as young as claire and i didn't drive i don't no if i would venture out in it :dohh:

so not much help from me really, i shall have a google for you though

:hug: x

I rarely take Hannah out in this weather. It is cold and personally I hate the cold and don't want to have to bundle herself and myself up just to get out the door :rofl: (call me lazy). On top of that trying to get the stroller on and off street cars by myself, major hassle.

i found a few bits relating honey, hope they help :)

just others opinions:
https://community.babycenter.com/talk/a4147335/taking_baby_out_in_snow

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081210185910AAb0lOL

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081205054554AAKhf4p

https://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=832904

hi we took hermione to the alps where it reached -16 on a ski holiday. i took her out for walks and we pulled her on the sledge, i tried to take her inside after half hour is and warm her up. we layered up her clothes and she had a snow suit on, and tbh she loved it.

however the baby will scream if you are not comfortable - so do what you feel, i was worried but we both had a great time and she was fine, just be sure they are warm. we brought baby ugg boots etc and she was happy

As long as they are dressed right and there isnt super winds then its ok.... although I hate the cold so I just stay in lol.

Its the same temps here, with bitter cold windchills. I don't take her out. For one, getting around with the snowbanks around here is NOT happening. No sidewalks and I'm not walking on the side of the road with her with the cars sliding around, its too dangerous.

Second, I personally think its too cold for such a small baby. I take her outside and walk around on warm days (Above -10) but I wouldn't take her out for more than a half hour or so.

That's my opinion.

I rarely take Hannah out in this weather. It is cold and personally I hate the cold and don't want to have to bundle herself and myself up just to get out the door :rofl: (call me lazy). On top of that trying to get the stroller on and off street cars by myself, major hassle.

ditto. It's not that cold here.. It's about 50F right now. But I dont like the cold at all. And am just too lazy to bundle us both up unless I HAVE to go somewhere. or unless its both OH and I as he can help :lol:

How would you be carrying the baby? It's not as cold here but we have had -7 and thereabouts recently. I walk my dogs every day with Byron and have done since he was 3 weeks. He is wrapped in a hat and snow suit and is in the baby carrier. Feeling his neck I am sure he is more than warm enough! The thing that might concern me is icy winds in his lungs rather than just getting cold as that's easy to avoid with enough clothing. I find in the carrier he can be well snuggled to my chest so there is warm air around his fair from his own breath and from me. I guess I would just consider how you can try and protect her and take it from there.

I do take Lola out now and then. It's not as cold over here (I'm on the same line as New York state) but still cold enough and snowy. I bundle her up really really well (example in my avatar :lol:) and in her stroller. I don't have the problem with coldness, I actually like it.

I won't take Jasmine out in the very cold weather, but thats my choice!

It gets that cold here in Bulgaria and I didn't take Gabbi out when it was that cold at all. In fact it is the first time I've taken her out in the pram in weeks!!!!!! She's been from house to car, etc but not out out! Luckily, it was 15 degrees yesterday and the day before even warmer which was just in time for my friends visiting, so we could go out. (plus I was getting cabin fever!!!)

If it is that cold, then I would say no. If it does warm up a little, make sure she's wrapped up and you're not out for hours, like the others say, 1/2 hour or so, then you should be fine. You could try it, see how she gets on for 5 mins, if she's not happy I am sure she will tell you!

On a more personal note, we were out yesterday, popped into the office, grandma came over and talked to Gabbi and said (in Bulgarian) ooooh, she's cold, she's cold and started putting her hands back under the blanket (yeah like Gabbi is gonna keep her hands there!), so we left sharpish. My friends rolled their eyes and said she's not cold, as I started feeling like crap! We stopped at the office again whilst I went to the bank, when I came out she was there, apparently she did it twice more!!!!!!!!! Because her cheeks were cool, she decided Gabbi was cold. She was soooooo toasty under the blanket, her hands were warm, it was just her cheeks. I said MY CHEEKS ARE COLD TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm warm. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry rant!

I do take Lola out now and then. It's not as cold over here (I'm on the same line as New York state) but still cold enough and snowy. I bundle her up really really well (example in my avatar :lol:) and in her stroller. I don't have the problem with coldness, I actually like it.

i like the cold too amy! x

as long as its not mega cold which we dont tend to get here anyway then i get Freddie well wrapped up and either put him in the pram or in the carrier and we head out with the dogs, im a big beliver the fresh air does wonders for helping baby sleep well on a night!

my grandparents used to put babys outside in the pram for a couple of hours each day!

as long as its not wet then i say enjoy! xx

For me, I dont' have as much of an issue with going out for a walk if it was above the freezing mark. It's pretty much a guarantee to have windchill here, so even if its -5c with the wind it'll feel like -10c.

Thursday morning it was -33c without the windchill. Brrr....

Thanks for your opinons girls! Hopefully the weather will warm up soon so I can get outside with her! Sitting at home sucks, big time. :(

I think the weather is supposed to be warmer next week :)

Huzzah!!!!

I'm hoping for an early spring! Normally I love the winters, as OH snowboards and I ski, but we haven't been able to get out this year. Didn't realize how much having a winter sport to enjoy makes the winters here go by a bit more tolerable (and faster!)

with her being so young i wouldnt but when she gets a bit older i think it would be ok, but then again -15 is veru cold so maybe i wouldnt i think i would only go in the car

We're currently in a deep freeze, we've been getting somewhere around -25 to -30 windchills(mostly in the evening though) here the last 3 weeks or so. The house is even cold with the heat up on bust because of the way the wind is hitting it. I'm not stepping foot outside this house until I need to! I have an exam in an hour and a half and I'm dreading cleaning off the car :rofl: No wayyy am I bringing Renah outside. You girls who don't mind cold - we can switch locations if you want! I'd love to be able to take her for a walk :( I'm sick of being stuck in too.

Surely it would be fine so long as you wrap her up warm. Have you got one of those plastic raincovers? That should keep the icy wind off her face and out of her lungs. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->