Going Overdue - What Next?

PieMistress

Proud and happy Mummy
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

Seeing as bubs has only got 5hrs 35mins to make an appearance before i'm 'overdue' thought i'd ask what happens next (although am guessing it will vary from region to region?)

I've got a 40w appointment with the midwife tomorrow where she will offer me a sweep (although bubs still not engaged - does this matter?). So, if I don't get a sweep or it's unsuccessful will I go back again for a 2nd try this week?

Do they usually give an induction date at your 40w appointment or wait until your 41w appointment? Do you go for any extra scans if you go over 40w to check the amniotic fluid levels etc and that the baby is okay? Are induction dates normally 10 to 12 days after your due date or as many as 14 days?

Sorry for all the questions :headspin:

(hopefully things aren't messed around too much with lack of staff/surgeries being closed over the Christmas break)!

Thanks
Pie xx

I have an appt at the hospital for 40+4 for a scan in case i go overdue, other than that im not really sure what happens!

She will do the sweep regardless if baby is engaged or not. My MW told me my induction would be 12 days after my due date when we went through my birth plan. She gave me a sweep at 40 weeks, and 41 weeks. I didn't go for any scans, I don't think thats the 'norm' unless the MW has cause for concern, I didn't have any mention of one :shrug:

Saying that it is different in various regions as you say

:hugs:

i had a 40wk app then was induce at 40+10 he dint come till 40+13 ! i didnt get a sweep cos it was possible :?

i had a c-section in the end :?

goodluck hope ur LO comes soon x

I was told that a sweep will be done a week post term then an induction by the 12th day post term. I'm keeping my fingers x'd that he decides to come well before then.

glad you posted this as i havent been told anything, all i know is i have an appointment on my due date 40 wk appointment with the mw, dont know what she will be doing, and havent been told what would happen induction wise should it be needed.

All i know is the week thing on the back of my notes has mw cirled at 40 weeks and then the hospital at 41 weeks dont know what its ment to mean.

maybe i should have asked :blush:

honey08 - did they tell you why they didn't give you a sweep?

So, I had the midwife today (40w+1). I was already feeling quite emotional before I went in, not sure why but ended up in tears! She was very sweet (have seen the same midwife throughout whole pregnancy).

She has given me a induction date for 1st January when I will be 40w+12. I asked if I could have the 31st December instead but she said policy is 40w+12 as they don't like to induce women unless necessary (which I guess is a good thing) but disappointing nonetheless. Not sure why but now i'm paranoid that the midwives and doctors will all be hungover on the morning of the 1st Jan!

Am also booked in for a sweep on Thurs 24th (40w+4).

She said they don't do any extra scans unless you chose not to have an induction and go over 40w+14 but to keep an eye on the baby's movements.

Ho Hum ..... need to get a grip I know, there are many worse things that could be happening that an overdue baby but I just want to meet Eggnog so much it's quite upsetting!

x

my MW wont give me a sweep until 41 weeks. seeing her on wednesday as im 40wks on friday(xmas day) wish i could have a sweep this week, with a bit of luck i would have had the baby before 41 weeks tho im doubtful

Am in the same boat ladies, am now overdue somewhat. Baby's head is hardly engaged at all, my cervix is soft but not dilated at all and is posterior. Have had 2 failed sweeps in that they have put their digits up my foofoo but haven't been able to get to the membranes. I am going for an induction on the 23rd. My midwife has told me to pretty much right off Christmas. Another lady has been posting on here re her induction and it's taking some time for her. Hate this! thought babs would be out well before this

Oh. dont cry flower! I promise, the midwives wont be hungover on the 1st :hugs: Just get going with the pineapple, sex, walking, bouncing, rlt, epo, curry, more sex, nipple tweaking and parsley tea to get this bubba out! xxx

I'm seeing my OB on wednesday when I'll get another sweep I'll be 40 + 6, my MW also sais that unless things kick off big style from that sweep to pop into the MW clinic on thursday and get another sweep.

My problem is that although I want this baby out a sweep is most likely to work within 2 days of being done...so that'll be xmas day wont it?!

...and the MIL is down on wednesday for xmas...I do not want to be in labour in front of her, I mean I know she's done it before but I'd rather not have an audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->