Going to a Fertility Clinic - Bigger Women!

Jenn95

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am back and still TTC #1 :( some sad news... I am now single... hubby couldn't stand by with our TTC journey. So it's jut me now!

So to my question.... I am going to see a doctor at a fertility Clinic near me and going to use donor sperm. My appointment is for this coming Wednesday (1-25-17). And I'm wondering what to expect at the first visit? I know I probably should have asked on the phone... but was too nervous too. My BIGGEST concern is them not excepting to help me because of my size :( I am a bigger girl (280lbs) to be exact. Are there any other bigger women who went to a fertility clinic and didn't have an problems with them offering to help? I would be crushed if I was turned away because of my weight :( Any bigger girls have good experiences (or bad) and what clinic and where was the clinic you went to? Thanks Everyone!!

I was 217 when I went, I'm not ovulating so I need clomid to see if it will help me ovulate but there is strict weight requirements at my clinic and I have to lose 49lbs to qualify for it, which sucks but I've already lost 12lb hopefully I can get the rest off. But I've seen other people with higher weights being able to use clomid so I guess it differs from place to place. I already have a 2.5 year old concieved with no problems so I don't need my tubes checked or anything just yet. Good luck.

Is there a reason you need the fertility clinic? Tons of women do donor sperm for one reason or another and get pregnant without issue being obese. I am obese myself, but have no plans to ever go to a fertility clinic, but that is my choice.
I doubt they will turn you down but they may tell you to lose weight before prescribing clomid or something similar prescriptions.

Is there a reason you need the fertility clinic? Tons of women do donor sperm for one reason or another and get pregnant without issue being obese. I am obese myself, but have no plans to ever go to a fertility clinic, but that is my choice.
I doubt they will turn you down but they may tell you to lose weight before prescribing clomid or something similar prescriptions.

That's what I'm afraid of that they won't help me get pregnant unless I lose weight! Well, I only chose a fertility clinic to have the best chance possible. And idk who else would even do an IUI! I actually weighed 402lbs a year ago(horrible I know!!!) (I lost the weight myself) I have been stuck at 280lbs there is no way I will be able to lose anymore weight. :(

You don't need a iui to get pregnant with donor sperm. You can do at home insemination with just a fresh sample and oral syringe. Iui only marginally increases the chances of success. Do you feel you need IUI for some reason?

You don't need a iui to get pregnant with donor sperm. You can do at home insemination with just a fresh sample and oral syringe. Iui only marginally increases the chances of success. Do you feel you need IUI for some reason?

I actually tried two at home AI's (frozen donor sperm) from a cryo bank in California. And also I was also thinking of IUI because my cycles are irregular. Well actually... before I lost weight my cycles were VERY irregular!! Since my weight loss (3 cycles now) I have gotten my period every 27 days LIKE CLOCKWORK. So MAYBE the weight loss helped my cycles balance out! Which is great!! But I would think 27 days is too short?! I have no idea :(

Your cycle being regular now is great! No, anything over 24 days is normal and fine. 27 days is almost perfect. If you could find a local donor that would be best but it's totally doable with frozen. At home insem has the same chances as sex. So that means it can take several months to do it successfully. IUI increases your chances by 2% or so. Were it me, I would eat some egg healthy high selenium foods like brazil nuts and keep trying at home, but that is me.

Your cycle being regular now is great! No, anything over 24 days is normal and fine. 27 days is almost perfect. If you could find a local donor that would be best but it's totally doable with frozen. At home insem has the same chances as sex. So that means it can take several months to do it successfully. IUI increases your chances by 2% or so. Were it me, I would eat some egg healthy high selenium foods like brazil nuts and keep trying at home, but that is me.

Oh REALLY?? :) I didn't know that!! I thought 27 days was not long enough! Really?? only 2%?! what? and I'm sure each cycle is a couple thousand dollars!
Hm, I wouldn't even know how to go about finding a local donor?? And since my cycle is coming every 27 days does that mean I'm definitely ovulating? Or is it possible to not ovulate but still have a "clockwork" cycle?

It's possible to have a regular cycle and not ovulate but not that likely unless your cycle is shorter than 24 days or longer than 40. There are websites that you can join to find a local donor. Single mothers and same sex couples use these types of sites often.
If you want to know you are ovulating then track your bbt and possibly use opks to pinpoint ovulation. If you were not doing that with the previous inseminations then they were prolly too early or too late. With a local donor just know you never have to pay for the semen - if they travel to meet you though they may need compensation for that or motel or whatnot. Don't let anyone convince you that you have to have sex for it to work. Artificial insemination is almost exactly the same chance as sex.
It's totally up to you, but I'd say you haven't given at home insemination enough chance, specially if you haven't been charting your fertility.

It's possible to have a regular cycle and not ovulate but not that likely unless your cycle is shorter than 24 days or longer than 40. There are websites that you can join to find a local donor. Single mothers and same sex couples use these types of sites often.
If you want to know you are ovulating then track your bbt and possibly use opks to pinpoint ovulation. If you were not doing that with the previous inseminations then they were prolly too early or too late. With a local donor just know you never have to pay for the semen - if they travel to meet you though they may need compensation for that or motel or whatnot. Don't let anyone convince you that you have to have sex for it to work. Artificial insemination is almost exactly the same chance as sex.
It's totally up to you, but I'd say you haven't given at home insemination enough chance, specially if you haven't been charting your fertility.

Thank you so much for the advice!! I truly appreciate it!! :)

You're very welcome. Feel free to ask me anything. I'm a research junkie and know way too much info lol

Yep I agree with cppeace, if you haven't been charting your cycle then do that first and actually get a handle on if and when you O, give home insemination a solid 3-6 months of great timing at the very least before seeking spending heaps!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->