Good books on newborns!

twinkie2

Mom of 2 Girls
Reaction score
Hi ladies :hi: I've just started third tri with my first and was looking into some newborn care type books, wondering if anyone has any suggestions or really good books that they'd recommend! TIA!

Yay- 3rd tri! :)

I have the Mayo Clinic's Guide to Your Baby's First Year in my Amazon cart. I was also recommended The Happiest Baby on the Block. :flower:

I was just looking at both of those on amazon! Thinking of maybe throwing both on the registry.

Honestly I'd not bother with any books on Babies since they so rarely bother to read them, or to follow the instructions in them either.

Xx

I've read most of Happiest Baby. No experience yet, but it makes sense. It's also a lot of book to explain a simple idea - a lot of it is just the author explaining why it works, testimonials, and so on. It's not a bad read, but you might do just as well just reading up on his method online, rather than buying it, if you're short on time. Or see if you can borrow it, maybe.

I'm eager to see other recommendations!

:haha: raspberry!

Mrsk! I'll probably do that if I don't get it as a gift, that's usually what I do! I just wasn't sure if I'd want to have a reference type book on hand or not...thinking the mayo clinic one would be good. I've got the mayo clinic guide to pregnancy and really like the structure of it (easy to just look up what you are interested in rather than read the whole thing).

I suspect something like the Mayo Guide could be useful. It's good to have a reliable "is this normal???" resource when I can't text my mom friends at 3am, I think ;)

I have one called babycare bible (2nd one to pregnancy bible). It's really good.

Also, would really recommend getting one called the wonder weeks. It pinpoints the exact fussy phases and 'calm' phases and kept me sane throughout my DD's development. Will definitely be using it with this one too, it's very interesting :)

I have one called babycare bible (2nd one to pregnancy bible). It's really good.

Also, would really recommend getting one called the wonder weeks. It pinpoints the exact fussy phases and 'calm' phases and kept me sane throughout my DD's development. Will definitely be using it with this one too, it's very interesting :)

You can sign up online to wonder weeks and get emails for free.

Xx

The books are all rubbish because every baby is so different and it can give you some really unrealistic expectations.

Although I read quite a few so I say this in hindsight, I know that I enjoyed reading them when pregnant so my favourites were ...

"Happiest baby on the block" by Harvey Karp and my OH read a book called "Commando Dad" by Neil Sinclair which was actually my favourite. It's very basic but excellent!

Honestly I'd not bother with any books on Babies since they so rarely bother to read them, or to follow the instructions in them either.

Xx

I know what you mean... But somehow having a couple of books makes me feel better prepared :) I have the Mayo Pregnancy guide, and gave liked that- I have gone weeks without looking at it, but also gone weeks where I kept flipping back to it.

The Wonder Weeks sounds interesting! ...and thanks for the feedback in The Happiest Baby. I might just stick with the Mayo Guide for starters and will have the other recommendations on my wish list for now.

I liked What to Expect in the First Year, I'm not sure if the info is available on the web now... But it basically broke everything down into months and had handy little lists at the beginning of each chapter saying where baby's development should be. It isn't "by this age baby can do this" it is more "by this age baby probably can to this, may be able to to this, should be able to do this".

I didn't read any book cover to cover, but I have the Mayo one and the Happiest Baby and was able to locate specific information in at least 1 of the three when I had the need. The Mayo one saved us when DS was just a week old and ended up with a heat rash (he was born mid-late August, so it was hot), we were able to recognize it and fix it, was a definite confidence booster.

It's tough because no matter what the books say, I found I had the most success following my intuition. A lot of the books made me feel guilty or upset if my child wasn't doing things exactly as they recommended right when they recommended them. That said, I understand your wanting to be prepared and feeling like reading is a way to get there. For me the best and really only book I referenced on a regular basis was Heathy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It lets you choose the sleep method you feel comfortable with and shows you the pros and cons of each. GooD luck with your first born. It is amazing to watch your child develop!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts on this. So far I'm really starting to lean towards the mayo book just because I do like the pregnancy one and, just like surprisebub-I've gone weeks of not looking at in once, then I suddenly need to look up everything!

They don't have a Newborns for Dummies book? That would be the one I need. :)

Im a big fan of the wonder weeks, too. I got the app and later on the Kindle book although I think I'd have preferred the print version. It isn't so much a care book but rather explains developmental leaps and how you can work with them. It is incredible how accurate they are. If my son was acting fussy or abnormally clingy/crying I'd open my app and see that he was going through a developmental leap. It was reassuring to see that it wasn't something I was doing and that it would pass soon.

I would see it as complementary to a baby guide as it really focuses on mental development and does not give you advice on sleep training/feeding/hygiene etc.

Just want to throw out to anyone interested in the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book, that since most reviews for it said the book was very repetitive, I opted to watch the accompanying video instead of reading the book. The same information for a fraction of the time. Now I just hope it actually proves useful :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->