• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goodbye benefits?

S

Serene123

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ve-9bn-Duncan-Smith-wins-battle-Treasury.html

Good idea? Bad idea?

Oh... bye bye then house. Best start looking for my cardboard box now...

I think they're changing rather than going completely.... as it says halfway down people will get to keep some of their benefits when they work?

I will read it all now, I just read "Housing benefit, income support and incapacity benefits to be axed" which made me think they're going altogether. In hindsight it's a good idea, working people should by all rights be better off than anyone on benefits. But if they are saying 'axed' in a literal sense then people who do genuinely need these to live are in the shit. If I didn't get housing benefit, even with IS and tax credits I couldn't afford anywhere because I would have nothing left over for food :/

sounds ok to me really :shrug:

The whole system needs an overhaul but the people who are in genuine recipet of benefits again draw the short straw.

V xxx

I will really welcome this if its true, the system is in dire need an overhaul to "reign things in"

People who genuinley need help wont be effected as entitlement will just be structured in a different way :)

Agree with it completely. I know a couple who both don't work have all their rent paid for them all their council tax paid for them and every penny that goes into their household is benefit money.

However..I'm not entitled to any help with rent/council tax..Because I earn too much?? This couple have more a month in benefits going in than I do on maternity leave!! The world where benefits is concerned IMHO is all backwards!

I will really welcome this if its true, the system is in dire need an overhaul to "reign things in"

People who genuinley need help wont be effected as entitlement will just be structured in a different way :)

100% agree :thumbup:

I've no problem with the means tested benefits coming under one roof. But there is no detail in the article. I'll reserve judgement until more info is released, specifically some actual figures. I suspect comparing work to being on the dole will mask the effects on other people in different situations. There's nothing to say how it will affect people like us who can only afford to work with childcare support and can't afford to live in the single higher salary.

there have been so many ppl in magazines papers recently bragging about how much they receive in benefits, i think its these ppl they should target rather than genuine ppl who truely need them.

if the scrap them, they will have a whole diffrent problem on there hands, homless families, children whos parents cannot afford to feed/clothe or put a house over them. so not exactly a great idea

Yeah, it sounds good in basic theory though LOL Especially if it helps reduce benefit fraud :)

there have been so many ppl in magazines papers recently bragging about how much they receive in benefits, i think its these ppl they should target rather than genuine ppl who truely need them.

if the scrap them, they will have a whole diffrent problem on there hands, homless families, children whos parents cannot afford to feed/clothe or put a house over them. so not exactly a great idea

I dont think the artical is saying that hun. I dont think the UK would ever leave people hungry.

I dont think the artical is saying that hun. I dont think the UK would ever leave people hungry.[/QUOTE]

this is the tories we r talkin about, i wouldnt put anything passed them

I'll reserve judgement on this as theres not really much info there really! If it helps me be able to afford to work I'm all for it, coz at the moment, and even more so after LO is born... there is no way I can afford to work with the current state of things since I would have to work 2 full time jobs JUST to afford childcare and I hate it!!

It seems very shady on details. I am so greatful for how teh benefit system helped me for a 21 months. Now I am off them apart from the usual CTC and CB. I just hope they will still be there for people that need it i.e. single parents and people with something that prevents them from working
xx

For balance I was curious what a left wing newspaper has said about it and just read this: https://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/oct/01/labour-support-universal-benefit-credit

I think this is a good move. We desperately need to gain back some of the money Labour chucked away and there are thousands and thousands of people who can easily get a job but just dont want one and there are just the same getting disability benefits when they can easily work too..
Just what we need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->