got a cold and unsure what to do

wheelz23

Reaction score
Hello ladies!
This is day two of gross cold. I haven't been to the doctor (my mom's a nurse, and my step mom's a doctor, they haven't said I need to go yet because the office's are all gross with other sick people who might make me worse)
Anyways. Sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, mild fever, all the fun things.
What can I take?! I took one tylenol yesterday, and felt guilty for it. I took zyrtec yesterday and today. I'm not sure what I need to be doing to ensure safety of the baby. I came to work, and my boss told me she thinks I need to go to the doctor (she is BIG on going to doctors though.)
Anyways, should I just go home and get some R&R? Or should I be going to the doctor?
Thanks!

I had a nasty cold in 3rd tri, i took the absolute bare minimum of Paracetamol (which i think tylenol is) i felt guilty as well but I was in so much pain i couldn't swallow anything not even saliva! DD is absolutely fine it's nsaids abd strong painkillers that you need to be careful with

Don't feel guilty - you're obviously aware of what you're taking and are limiting what is going into your body. Once in a while we need to take something to help ourselves too. I've taken Tylenol a couple of times for headaches. I try not to, but every now and then the headache gets bad enough where it is impeding on my ability to function for the day. If that day happens to be a day where I work or am otherwise not able to rest/relax, then I have to do what I have to do. We shouldn't feel guilty for that when we are obviously otherwise prioritizing our baby's needs and development.

Sorry you're not feeling well, though. Unfortunately, there's not a ton we can take. Tylenol for fever or general body aches and pains, and then fluids and rest. Keep those tissues handy! If you get a fever then I would call your doctor to let them know so they're aware, and then monitor at home. If the fever spikes or doesn't respond to meds, then go in. That's what I did when I got a stomach bug in the first tri.

Rest up and hope you feel better soon!

thanks! That is helpful. I definitely do not have a high fever. I think I have a low grade one, but I just caved and took tylenol once more. I'm leaving work early and going home to rest. Going to pick up olive garden soup and breadsticks to encourage some comfort food into the works :)

I have gotten sick so many times during this pregnancy!

MY OB said Tylenol is safe as well as vitamin C (in addition to your pre natal) and then lots of fluids and rest.

If I was feeling off I totally left work because you have to put your body and baby's safety at work and if that meant missing a day of work so be it. You wont be pregnant forever!

Hope you are feeling better!

I take apple cider vinegar (braggs with 'the mother' in it) with honey when I have a cold. I think it helps clear up the congestion. Lemon with honey in hot water too. Don't feel guilty about the Tylenol, sometimes you need it. Hope your cold doesn't last too long and that you feel better soon!

Aww I feel for you. I don't think you need to see a doctor. It sucks that there's not much we can do. I have been unwell a couple of times this pregnancy so far (right now being one of those times, ugh) and I'm just about surviving with hot lemon and honey drinks, Vicks vapour rub, afternoon naps and the occasional paracetamol if the aches and headache get too much. Would love nothing more than a decent decongestant but the last thing I am willing to do is risk restricting blood flow to the uterus, even though the pharmacy told me its 'probably ok' 🙄 I'll suck it up for now.
Hope you are well soon. X

Don't worry about a cold. It's not harmful to baby at all, just a massive pain in the bum for you! I had a couple over winter and was miserable for a week at a time! All you can take is paracetemol (Or equivalent in your country), which helps a bit with the fever but does nothing else! I'm usually the first to dose up on cold & flu medication! I found a saline nasal spray helped the blocked nose a bit, sticking my head over a bowl of hot water with a towel over my head and hot Ribena (black currant juice) for my sore throat! Otherwise, you found me surrounded with tissues and feeling incredibly sorry for myself!

You don't need to see your doctor, there is nothing they can do for a cold. It's viral and a minor illness. Obviously, if you significantly deteriorate or run a very high fever, then do! I kept working with mine, but I think most employers would be sympathetic to you having a couple days off to just have a rest as you are pregnant! Your body is working harder than usual!

Hope you feel better soon!

Ah yes, putting your head over a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head is great for the congestion too!

I take apple cider vinegar (braggs with 'the mother' in it) with honey when I have a cold. I think it helps clear up the congestion. Lemon with honey in hot water too. Don't feel guilty about the Tylenol, sometimes you need it. Hope your cold doesn't last too long and that you feel better soon!

I also do the Bragg's ACV with honey when I have a cold. It works beautifully. Also, a hot, moist towel on your face to loosen convestion. I don't get fevers when pregnant, but if I did, I'd definitely take a cool shower to cool down, a cool rag on my body if need be, and if over 100, Tylenol to lower it.

Thanks mamas!! Turns out, I got the flu. I have been so bummed! And I'm still home from work, they took me out until next week, which honestly I need. As much as I hate taking time off. Lots of r&r, and meds! My little girl has been kicking up a storm though. I think she's annoyed that I keep coughing!

I feel you, I've come down with a mild respiratory infection and it is no fun. My chest hurts whenever I am exposed to cold air or dust and it makes me cough whenever I take a deep breath. I've started taking probiotics in the hopes that I can get rid of it without needing antibiotics or without the use of medications because I hate taking anything while pregnant, like you, even Tylenol. Since probiotics aren't digested (they go straight to the gut) they don't go through the bloodstream to the baby like medications do so it is something you could try. They make ones specifically to help with immunity. Hope you feel better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->