• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Got my home water birth

tablefor4

Reaction score
Yay, it's over and we are no longer Team Yellow. ...We're Team Pink!

I'd been having low grade contractions all day, 10 minutes apart lasting 30 - 40 seconds. By 6.00 they were getting more painful but tolerable and still 8 minutes or so apart.

By midnight they were getting pretty moderate so I rang the midwife to come and assess me, who arrived at 12.20am. I thought I'd cry if she told me I was only 3 cm. Thankfully I was 5cm and fully effaced.

The pool took some time to set up and fill and in the meantime contractions are getting intense. There was some discussion about whether I'd even get to use it.
By 1.40am it was full enough to get in. Two or three contractions later I was pushing involuntarily. The contractions were so intense i struggled to tell DH to wake DS13 and DD8. I finally got a lull long enough to get the words out. DS13 decided he didn't really want to come in so stayed in bed. DS8 was dancing in the hallway with excitement and wouldn't miss it for the world.

At 1.57am baby was born, caught by DH, passed to me where I got to discover the gender for myself. Placenta fell out when I stood up 30 minutes later to get out, with minimal blood loss. I had a small tear (courtesy of baby coming out with her hand by her face) but too small to be worth suturing.

She's had two feeds, and is now happily sleeping it off. Its me who is wide awake at 5.21am.

This was my second homebirth but first water birth. Did I like the water birth? I wasn't sure I would like the heat but actually the water relieved the weight off my belly and back, and when poured on my lower back during contractions, felt good.

I didn't like the smell of the plastic but that was easily fixed by putting a towel on the the edge of the pool, over the plastic.

The most surprising part?? My other children were under 7 pounds, about 50cm long and were in prem clothes for a few weeks. This chub monkey was 8lb10oz and 56cm long.
And right on her due date!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"