Goverment confirms scrapping NHS direct.

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11120853

Now i understand that cut backs need to be made but surely this is silly as people will clog up hospitals and doctors with things which will cost more money.

They plan to have much fewer nurses which is ridiculous. So it will be like the swine flu call centre that had untrained people giving health advise?!!

I have used NHS direct a few times with River and its been brilliant.

Seems stupid to get rid of it when they have just been on about making somthing simeler for all non emergancy calls to stop people dialing 999 for non emergancies stating how well it has worked for nhs direct

Personally i think its proved to be an invaluable service to many people, seems silly to get rid of it :shrug:

Oh for chirst sake. Roll on 4 years I say.

This service has proved so helpful to me since I have had Aidan. They need to make cuts yes but why such a important asset to many?
xx

Ok I just read it and they arnt actualy getting rid of it they are combining it with this new 111 thing that I mentioned in my earlier post which (if it works) is a good idea so you can use it for non emergancies and save tieing up 999 lines.
the new 111 number covers all things from police, fire, medical advice and other "need help but not an emergany" type things.
Like I said if it works it could be a very good thing.

The only real thing that is changing is the number you phone and a cut back on the amount of nurses answering calls, ok the cut back isnt great but lets just see what happens.

No :( I always ring them , there always lovely and puts the paranoid mothers out there firmly back to reality as there all trained and i take there word for it!

What a stupid STUPID cut back.

omg, big mistake there. well done tories :roll:

I'm really annoyed about this. Yes, they are keeping it alive in a sense through 111, but they are getting rid of almost all of the current staff. They struggle enough to keep up with demand now - it saves resources for the NHS - one study said £239 million a year, including saving 1.9 million unnecessary GP visits.

But then, this is the party who are getting rid of the UK film council because of the need for 'cuts' yet it makes £50m profit a year :dohh: It's all ideological, and it's the dismantling of the NHS.

:nope; It's shocking tbh and I knew this would happen
xx

I am really mad about this. Ive prob used it a handful of times, but i know its an invaluable service to many.

F'in tories :grr:

I'm old enough and ugly enough to remember the days when GPs worked out of hours. Before the days of their very cosy new contract hence why NHS Direct was born. I remember being ill with a fever and the Doctor turing up inthe middle of the night.

Why don't we all put pressure on our GPs to actually fulfill the vocational nature of their jobs, which will need them rejecting their contracts and all the extra money they've gained from it ( oh no! never!) instead of blaming every bloody thing on the new government?

Why should GP come out purely for a concern that can be settled over the phone? I have rang a few times and nothing has been really wrong. They have just given me advice on how to keep him cool and when he was having real trouble pooing. But once they thought a doctor was needed and sent one out.

Now that is a more effective system IMO than sending a GP out to tell a mum to give calpol and keep them cool
xx

I'm old enough and ugly enough to remember the days when GPs worked out of hours. Before the days of their very cosy new contract hence why NHS Direct was born. I remember being ill with a fever and the Doctor turing up inthe middle of the night.

Why don't we all put pressure on our GPs to actually fulfill the vocational nature of their jobs, which will need them rejecting their contracts and all the extra money they've gained from it ins( oh no! never!) instead of blaming every bloody thing on the new government?

WSS ^^:thumbup:

Why should GP come out purely for a concern that can be settled over the phone? I have rang a few times and nothing has been really wrong. They have just given me advice on how to keep him cool and when he was having real trouble pooing. But once they thought a doctor was needed and sent one out.

Now that is a more effective system IMO than sending a GP out to tell a mum to give calpol and keep them cool
xx

In the bad old days - it was your GP who you first spoke to on the phone. If he was concerned he would make a personal visit come rain or shine, night or day. It was his vocation, his job and his life and he expected it.

When I had my mmc, NHS Direct were brilliant. I wouldn't have gone to hospital if it wasn't for their help & advice.

I hope they don't scrap it :(

xx

In the bad old days - it was your GP who you first spoke to on the phone. If he was concerned he would make a personal visit come rain or shine, night or day. It was his vocation, his job and his life and he expected it.

In our area we had somthing called thames doc (still do actualy) it was the earliest form of nsh direct.
you phoned them up and asked advice and within 10 mins youd get a call back from your dr (or another if he was busy) and they then offered advice or decided if they needed to come out to you.
It was part of there job and if on call that night then they had to expect it, I remember the dr coming out at 1am when I was about 7 because I had a fever with my measles, also came out a few other times over the years.
Its always worked before, but as said before they arnt actualy getting rid of the nsh direct just combining it with a police and fire one as well with a new number.

It's interesting GP's think it should be scraped, surely if it was working they would be the first to protest?.

you know what they need too do cut back on how many houses and holidays they have but oh no they would rather be so well off and make other people suffer they dont want too go short personally i think its shit that the cut backs they are making are helping people what they should do is sort out the junkies who claim for the smack when their is seriously ill people out their who cant work who need to call nhs for advice single mothers who need grants they make me god damm sick , just look in the paper that the soilder who got his leg off told him he wasnt disabled this place makes me sick at times x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->