Gp made me feel like a bad mum, now I'm worrying about whether I should be worried?!

SmileyKez

Reaction score
Took my LO, 16mth to the gp today as he's struggling to shake off a cough we both had a few weeks ago. After I got in 40 minutes late, yes 40 minutes in the waiting room with a small child grrrrr, and she ignored us for the first 2 minutes in the room, I was quite annoyed anyway, then she really wound me up!

She asked me to stand LO down so we could undress him so she could listen to his chest, she asked if he can stand unaided and I said almost, then she asked what "they" had said about the fact he isn't waking, I assume "they" is the hv, but she caught me off guard and I said fine, then she asked if they'd said give it another month and I kinda brushed over it.

At 16 month should I really be worried he isn't waking unaided?! He walks round allllll day holding my fingers but I think he's just lacking confidence!

Then she went on to tell me how tiny he is?! Really! He's small, but I'm only 5ft so it's not wierd, and he's not got much chunk but he's not skinny!

Man, I only went in about a cough and she totally ruined my day! I hate seeing locums! Rant over! Lol!

Please don't feel bad or worry about this. My son didn't start walking unaided until 18 months and I know there is absolutely nothing we did to make him late with walking. As with your lo, at 16 months he was walking around furniture with our help (he didn't pull up until really late too). He is also on the small side though I don't believe that has anything to do with walking late.

Kids do things at their own pace. I know it can be worrisome when it feels like it's not the norm but take a deep breath and enjoy your son. Before you know it he'll be running everywhere!

My friend's LO didn't walk until 19 months old. Nothing wrong with her and she walks as well as my LO now who walked at 11 months (my LO is 2 months older). My brother didn't walk until 17 months.

Aww, I'm sorry. I hate when you go to the Dr for something looking to get help but they just make things worse. I don't think it's bad that he's not walking unassisted yet. All kids develop differently and your Dr should know that and speak to that. If your Dr was concerned about it I'm sure they'd talk more about it with you, but it should be in a kind and helpful manner and they should be talking to you about ways to encourage him to walk, and ask you questions about what you do at home to help him.

As far as her comment about his weight, that's rude. It sounds like she just made a comment with her personal opinion rather than as a medical professional discussing your child's weight, eating habits, comparing their growth to previous appointments, etc. That's how your Dr should be talking to you. Not making pointless comments.

If I were you, I'd find a different gp! Don't be worried though. You are a good mom! Just taking him in for the cough shows your concern about his health. How much does your son weigh? If it helps, my dd is 25 months and weighs on 21 lbs. She is in like the 5th percentile for weight. Yeah, really low lol. She was a preemie and has always been really small. For height she's like in the 10th percentile and I'm always worried when we go in to see the Dr but every single time my dr tells me not to worry, that their growth slows down after a year, and as long as she's growing height wise, he's not concerned about her weight.

My lo didn't walk unaided until 21 months and didn't stand unaided until 18 months xx

Thanks ladies, I don't think if have been so bothered if she hadn't been so ignorant and kept me waiting for so long! She didn't even have a patient in with her!
Think I'll insist on one of the regular gps in future!
I'm not 100% sure on his weight, he hasn't been weighed at clinic for ages but I think he's about 24lbs!

Frinds little girl didn't walk until 19 mths

You should see her now :)

Stupid woman worrying you like that :( xx

I think some GP's can be very unsure what is 'normal' development for children (because the HV does that side of things) - they know the "illness" side of things but some are very influenced by children they know or their own kids development. I had a GP asking me whether I'd started introducing solids yet to my 16month old!!!!!!!!!!!!

16months is FINE, especially as he is cruising.

Btw I get irrational hatred at the GP all the time. Our surgery is always running at least 40minutes late and they never tell you so you are in limbo in the waiting room. Then the doc tries to rush you cos they know they are running late and that winds me up so much. Interrupting me will actually make things slower cos you're not listening!!!

Leo is 21 months and still isn't fully walking. He takes steps but that's all.

Try not to worry hun, he will do it, when he is ready. :)

Silly woman! (The GP not you!) xxx

How can she comment on his weight without weighing him?! That's just ridiculous. Some kids look skinny but are officially 'overweight' on charts and others look like little chunks but are really light. She should know you can't just look and guesstimate like that.

It wouldn't bother me at all about walking. It's perfectly normal to not be walking yet.

Amelia only started pulling up at 14 months, cruising at 15 months, standing unaided at 16 months and didn't walk until almost 17 months. Usually they start to worry when they get to the age of 2 and still aren't walking. I'm sure he's fine! I hate how some doctors make parents worry for nothing.

16 months is so young yet, your LO has loads of time and many don't do it until much later.
The doctor shouldn't have made you feel bad. Kids are all so different :hugs:

I think when you said he was almost standing unaided it probably rung alarm bells. Maybe she thought he was barely weight baring which at 16 months is reason to be a little concerned?

My son walked at 17 months.

I really wouldn't worry. They have high expectations about what children should do at a certain age. They forget they're all individuals.

Unless I read this wrong it sounds like she was concerned that he couldn't stand unaided (not walking) at 16 months I would worry if he can't bear weight on his legs.
I have learned on here that US and UK is extremely different but I should say that if a 16 month old wasn't walking in the US it would be concerning.

Even standing unaided isn't a problem. A lot of children can't do it until they walk. My son went from standing for a few seconds to steps within hours.

I walked at 18 mths and my youngest just walked at 16 mths but not great until 18mths

He can stand unaided, sorry should have been clear, what I mean is he doesn't like to without holding someone/thing! That's why I think it's just confidence really, he's fine until he realises he isn't being held up, then plonks his bum to the floor! He is too wobbly to be able to stand unaided whilst I undressed him which is what she wanted me to do.

He can stand unaided, sorry should have been clear, what I mean is he doesn't like to without holding someone/thing! That's why I think it's just confidence really, he's fine until he realises he isn't being held up, then plonks his bum to the floor! He is too wobbly to be able to stand unaided whilst I undressed him which is what she wanted me to do.

Ohh that's fine then. Completely in the realms of what is average for a child! She shouldn't have worried you unnecessarily as between 9-18 months of age is when 'most' children walk independently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->