Grocery shopping. What's your budget?

LittleBunnie

Trying for #1
Reaction score
I was wondering what some of you ladies spend when you go grocery shopping and how you budget. I am thinking I spend too much a month for hubby and I on groceries.

Budget : $300 per month
Feeding : Two

Also, I am not too much of a newbie at this but we have just started living alone a few months ago, (before we lived with my mom, and we just gave her money every month, and viola! food we liked appeared in the house. :haha:) I was wondering some of your opinions on what you deem 'necessity' to buy.

I try to coupon as much as I can but with only the commissary being where I can really shop and get all my food, it's kind of hard because prices are a bit high there. :dohh:

About £50 per week for me and Lucas. I tend to spend less if I shop online but it's not always possible (I don't own a computer and be arsed with doing it on my phone).

I budget for £40 a week for 4 of us. Doesnt always work out sometimes go £5-10 over but doesnt happen weekly.

This is going to increase when baby #3 arrives though.

£50pw, I try and spend £35 on my proper shop so I have some money I can go and pick up extra bread,milk and anything iv forgotten during the week. This doesnt include baby milk and nappies though

€50 a week for three of us.

Sometimes I go over when I have to buy things like toilet roll etc.

£50pw for me and two LO's. That includes stuff for their lunches for in the week when I'm at work and obviously meals for every night of the week, also includes nappies for my youngest and wipes, so I don't think it's too bad.

£100 a week, sometimes less sometimes more depending on if we have wine and beer too.. There are four of us x

£85/week for food and some toiletries/cleaning stuff, although usually once every few months I'll spend £60 or so at biggreensmile.com for more eco friendly toiletries/cleaning stuff. That's for 4 of us (2 adults, 4 year old, 2 year old) so no nappies, formula, baby food etc.

I used to spend more and it wasn't a problem but it felt very wasteful so I try to keep it down to £85 now.

£350 a month for 2 adults, 2 kids (no food for youngest), 2 cats, that includes nappies and wipes for both kids.

Some months it's more, sometimes less but we are lucky not to need to watch what we spend that carefully.

Ours used to be £100 a week but we've recently cut it down to around £50-£60 a week by doing online shopping. We still pick up little bits that we may have forgotten or couldn't get when the shopping was delivered but it doesn't add up to anywhere near what we were spending before. That is for a family of 5 xx

£30 a week for oh and myself
That is £10 at the butcher
£10 on fruit and veg
£10 on the extra stufd like milk, , pasta, rice, tea etc.
Oh eats at work for lunch or brings leftovers from night before.
We are in a position that if we fancy something we are able to buy it(eg we bought some nice monk fish last week, £10 for a meals worth!!!) but I think it would be silly to do that all the time as we could easily end up spending £100 a week.

£10 on fruit and veg
We are in a position that if we fancy something we are able to buy it(eg we bought some nice monk fish last week, £10 for a meals worth!!!) but I think it would be silly to do that all the time as we could easily end up spending £100 a week.

just curious, what do you get at the butcher for £10? This is the amount I spend on meat per week but I always feel awkward walking into a butcher when I dont really understand the weights etc incase it comes to way more.

I've no idea. I've become awful at keeping track. I'd guess between £60-£80 a week on an average week at the minute. Going to try keeping track next week!

£10 on fruit and veg

just curious, what do you get at the butcher for £10? This is the amount I spend on meat per week but I always feel awkward walking into a butcher when I dont really understand the weights etc incase it comes to way more.

The butcher I go to has a lot of stuff already packaged up almost like a supermarket, most of it is 3 for £6 so maybe a package of 3 chicken breasts, 400 grams minced beef and also 400 grams diced lamb. I might then buy a package of 8 sausages (1.99 and they are massive)
I can also get 10 chicken legs with the bone in for £5 which I sperate and freeze in packs of 2.
Weight wise why don't you look at the size of the meat you are buying, from the supermarket I assume and note down the price per kg on the label on the shelf, then you can compare at the butcher the price per kg and know if it will cost you more or less. You also will know how much to ask for (eg if you buy a 400g pack of minced beed then you can asl yhe butcher for 400g) if you dont see what you want ask anyways as they will mince the beef for you when you order it.
My butcher also cuts up whatever you want, eg you can ask to dice chicken breasts if you want to use it for a curry.
Im going tomorrow so will take a photo of what a get and post it here for you to compare.

£50-£60 a week for 3 of us. I expect it to be closer to £60 later this year once dd2 is on solids.

£10 on fruit and veg

The butcher I go to has a lot of stuff already packaged up almost like a supermarket, most of it is 3 for £6 so maybe a package of 3 chicken breasts, 400 grams minced beef and also 400 grams diced lamb. I might then buy a package of 8 sausages (1.99 and they are massive)
I can also get 10 chicken legs with the bone in for £5 which I sperate and freeze in packs of 2.
Weight wise why don't you look at the size of the meat you are buying, from the supermarket I assume and note down the price per kg on the label on the shelf, then you can compare at the butcher the price per kg and know if it will cost you more or less. You also will know how much to ask for (eg if you buy a 400g pack of minced beed then you can asl yhe butcher for 400g) if you dont see what you want ask anyways as they will mince the beef for you when you order it.
My butcher also cuts up whatever you want, eg you can ask to dice chicken breasts if you want to use it for a curry.
Im going tomorrow so will take a photo of what a get and post it here for you to compare.

Sounds like tou get a good amount for that! I usually buy 3 for £10 in the shop but would prefer butcher meat.
I never even thought to do that with the weights etc will maybe get this week then :)

£70 a week for me, OH, 2 LOs, 1 cat and 1 dog. This includes nappies.

I don't actually know....

I usually do a big shop of around £100-150 depending on whether we need cleaning stuff. Then we do £30-40 top up shops each week.

I usually buy meat from the butchers & I'm going to start getting veg from the market. I got for £8;

A very large cauliflower
Bag of carrots
Bag of potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
7 Bananas
4 Apples
A large turnip
Bag of mushrooms
Bag of Parsnips

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts