Gross motor skills/delay

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Gracie just had her 27 month assessment today. She did fantastically on many of the areas they assess (particularly the social/emotional and problem solving ones) however she scored lower than expected for her gross motor skills.

She can’t go up stairs properly (always uses the same leading foot rather than alternating like an adult would) and she can’t jump with both feet, or jump three inches forward.

We don’t have stairs at home (we live in a bungalow style home) so I’m not massively worried, however they are slightly concerned so a nurse is coming out to see her in our home to give her exercises to do and we have to go back in three months.

She’s always been slightly behind in her gross motor skills, she didn’t crawl until 9 months and didn’t walk until 15 months.

Any experience of this? I know she will be fine because her fine motor skills are okay, but does anyone know how we can help her catch up?

She has a trampoline.

Gracie just had her 27 month assessment today. She did fantastically on many of the areas they assess (particularly the social/emotional and problem solving ones) however she scored lower than expected for her gross motor skills.

She can’t go up stairs properly (always uses the same leading foot rather than alternating like an adult would) and she can’t jump with both feet, or jump three inches forward.

We don’t have stairs at home (we live in a bungalow style home) so I’m not massively worried, however they are slightly concerned so a nurse is coming out to see her in our home to give her exercises to do and we have to go back in three months.

She’s always been slightly behind in her gross motor skills, she didn’t crawl until 9 months and didn’t walk until 15 months.

Any experience of this? I know she will be fine because her fine motor skills are okay, but does anyone know how we can help her catch up?

She has a trampoline.

My friends little boy was exactly the same, great in everything and slightly lower in gross motor - he couldn't jump and did the one foot up the stairs thing too... my friend also doesn't have stairs at home so it could be something to do with that.

I remember the health visitor wasn't too concerned and said that as long as he can kick a ball she wasn't worried about the jumping, she didn't receive any helpful info for the stairs.

He started jumping with both feet about 2 weeks after the check was done.

Sorry I can't help much more but I do remember they weren't too concerned and definitely didn't refer to a nurse

They don't even check for either of those things here, well not with my older two kids anyway. Emma can walk up stairs 'like an adult' but I wouldn't say she has any special motor skills, she's just very athletic and strong compared to how my others were at this age.

Isn't crawling at 9 months average? And 15 months for walking is on the slow side, but well within "normal." I'm surprised there would be any follow up for stairs and jumping at 27 months. Does she have any issues running or climbing?

My 3.5 year old only just stopped going up stairs either with both feet on each step (one after the other) or using her hands as well as her feet. I've never ever worried about it. She's quite hypermobile in her joints (especially the legs) but crawled at 8 months and walked at 12. She started jumping around the 2 year mark as far as I recall, which is about average I think. Can't remember when exactly she did it, but I know a couple of 3 year olds who can't really do this yet.

9 months crawling and 15 months walking is perfectly fine. She wasn't behind then and to be honest doesn't really seem to be behind now. Just because she hasn't fallen bang on average doesn't mean she is delayed or has a problem. Health professionals are so annoying sometimes!

She has a trampoline.
My son crawled at 9 months..and walked at 16 months..started jumping around 30months..and the stairs also around that time.

Your HV sounds insane.

You can check the average for this milestones online. They are not even behind.. just late end of normal

she will do it when she is ready

Have to agree that this does not sound delayed to me! I know many babies who didn't crawl till after 9 months and walk till 15 months. This is normal! The jumping and stairs thing are also still normal at her age. Like PP said, it is the later end of normal, but it is still normal - your HV does sound insane. She is at the very least completely overreacting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->