Growing to their full potential

katerdid

Momma
Reaction score
Hey ladies! I had my son at 35+5 weeks and we were lucky enough to stay out of the nicu despite his severe jaundice.
Because of his jaundice, he spent 5 days in the hospital on a phototherapy bed. This stifled the normal newborn constant nursing, so he lost almost a pound while we were there.
He was born at 6lbs 2oz. He went down to 5lbs 4oz and then after we got home, he quickly started gaining. By 2 weeks old he had got back up to 6lb 7oz!
At 18 weeks he was 15lbs 4oz so at the 48th percentile for full term babies, and 25in long (51th percentile). So he's doing wonderful now - no real sign that he had some hurdles in the beginning.

Now my question: My husband is a freakishly big guy, along with his whole family. He's 6ft7, his mom is 6ft, dad is 6ft5. So my son has the gene potential to be a tall dude.
Do you think he'll catch up and be like his daddy? If so, when do they normally do this?

Our preemie was born a lot younger and smaller than yours, but we've already seen signs that he will be tall like his Daddy (my husband is 6'4" -- not freakishly tall, but tall! :D). He's got the same long, skinny "chicken legs" that my husband had when he was a baby; in fact, proportionally, he looks about like my husband did when he was born, according to my MIL.

Of course, only time will tell, but when I was worried about my LO's growth being stunted because of being a preemie, I heard countless stories that indicated it's the genes... e.g., one of my nurses while I was in the hospital had a 28-week preemie 30 years ago, and he is now 6'5". I think unless there are very specific things that were causing issues, genes will trump everything else!

Sounds like your little man is doing amazing!

My girls were born at 32+3 weighing 4 lbs and 4 1/2 lbs and by 2 months had caught up enough to be taken off the preemie charts and onto regular infant charts- and now are in the 90th%! (11 months actual) My hubby isn't super tall, but he's a brick house at almost 6'3" and 290lbs and I'm not petite lol- my girls are showing all signs that they will be big girls- we're going to start them on roller derby :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->