Growth scan - baby measuring small. What to expect?

leelee

Mammy to 2
Reaction score
Hi,

I am just back from the midwife. I am measuring 34 weeks (and have been since 35 weeks) and I am 38 weeks. She has referred me for what she deemed on the phone 'an urgent growth scan' although as it is next Thursday it doesn't seem too urgent to me.

I am a bit upset as she didn't really explain anything and when I asked her what the implications were she shrugged her shoulders and said that as I am 38 weeks I could go anytime anyway, but didn't elaborate. She also said that the baby might be so far into my pelvis that it is measuring small. There is nothing on my notes about it being engaged at all though, it is just blank.

Just wondering what I should expect next Thursday and if anyone has experienced this? The baby is as active as ever and the heartrate was perfect today.

Thanks

I had issues with higher bp throughout 3rd tri so was monitored closely (nonstress tests, fluid checks and 2 growth scans) I had the growth scans as having high bp can affect the placenta which can make the baby not grow enough. If the baby stops growing I was told that it would be better for the baby to be born vs staying inside which is why they monitor this (this is what they told me anyway). Cause if the baby isnt growing it usually means a problem with the placenta which could get worse. My 2nd growth scan they showed the baby hadnt really grown in 4 weeks and that she was between 4 1/2 & 5 lbs at 36+6 so they said we needed to start induction that day. She was born the following day weighing 5 lbs 14 oz - so she had grown (4 weeks before showed 4 1/2 lbs) - they just werent very accurate with the scan guess.

When she was born she was very healthy & no issues.

I had issues with higher bp throughout 3rd tri so was monitored closely (nonstress tests, fluid checks and 2 growth scans) I had the growth scans as having high bp can affect the placenta which can make the baby not grow enough. If the baby stops growing I was told that it would be better for the baby to be born vs staying inside which is why they monitor this (this is what they told me anyway). Cause if the baby isnt growing it usually means a problem with the placenta which could get worse. My 2nd growth scan they showed the baby hadnt really grown in 4 weeks and that she was between 4 1/2 & 5 lbs at 36+6 so they said we needed to start induction that day. She was born the following day weighing 5 lbs 14 oz - so she had grown (4 weeks before showed 4 1/2 lbs) - they just werent very accurate with the scan guess.

When she was born she was very healthy & no issues.

Thanks DaisyBee,

That makes sense. I am hoping that the baby has engaged and that is why I am measuring behind, although it is weird that she said nothing about it being engaged??? So should I prepare myself for the possibility of an induction do you think?

I would say go prepared for an induction. Better safe than sorry.

I would say go prepared for an induction. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Seity :) Yeah, would be good to have mentally prepared myself for one anyway. Bit scary to think I might be induced. I am hoping the baby is just really engaged although I don't think my bump has dropped at all, and the heartburn is still there.

I've a growth scan on the 15th. I look forward to seeing our baby again and hope he's growing fine, but just in a tight little ball throwing my fundal height off.

Ive been measuring 33 weeks at 35 and 36 and ive had 2 growth scans over the past three weeks because they were concerned he was small, first one saying 5lb 9oz and the second 6lb 6oz! So he is growing, apparently slightly above average aswell! So im measuring under by 3cm on my fundal height buuuttt with a healthy and slightly on the bigger side baby, so I would try not to worry too much! I suppose its just how you are carrying the baby!! xxx

Hi,
I had an appointment on wed where I was measured for first time at 33 (I'm 38 weeks).Got given a growth scan and the sonographer said baby was good weight - over 6Ibs and that at the beginning it was growing at the top end of the scale (95% of most babies) and that lately it has slowed down a bit but nothing to worry about. Doc reviewed the results and said everything perfect and that bump is small because baby is really compact (foot under rib and head right down).I'm pretty short.
Hope ur scan goes well too.
X

I had a couple of growth scans from 34+wks onwards as I was measuring small.

I did have the smallest bump ever - still to see anyone with bump smaller than mine was!!

Anyway, at the growth scans I was told baby measuring spot on for dates - I was never given any estimate weights - they are very often inaccurate anyway.

So, I had Anna at 39wks and she weighed 6lbs 15 oz - so not such a small baby really.

I am sure all will be fine:flower:

I like you had an emergency growth scan. Baby was measuring 3 and a half weeks behind and on the scan she turned out to be only 3lb 3oz so they delivered her 2 days later after her having steriod jabs to boost her lungs. They said she will still be developed like a 34 weeker just small. all the best for your scan

xxx

Thanks all for the reassuring replies. I was ust more concerned about whether to expect an induction as I will be 38+6 or whether they will say that everything is grand.

I suppose it is best to go in with an open mind and not to be worried about it :)

Thanks all for the reassuring replies. I was ust more concerned about whether to expect an induction as I will be 38+6 or whether they will say that everything is grand.

I suppose it is best to go in with an open mind and not to be worried about it :)

try stay postive :) they say fundal height isnt the most accurate anyway :thumbup: xx

try stay postive :) they say fundal height isnt the most accurate anyway :thumbup: xx

Thanks Ali!

And congrats on Rosalie. She is beautiful - a little doll

I had an emergency growth scan at 35 weeks, baby was found to be measuring small. (between the 5th and 10th centiles) so they said I had to go back for another growth scan 2 weeks later, baby had grown but was still below the 10th centile. The consultant said that in an otherwise healthy pregnancy it wouldn't be a concern as baby is still within normal ranges but small. However, with me having excessive vomiting and baby originally being on the 50th centiles I'm now being monitored twice a week and checked weekly to see if I'm favourable for induction xx

I had an emergency growth scan at 35 weeks, baby was found to be measuring small. (between the 5th and 10th centiles) so they said I had to go back for another growth scan 2 weeks later, baby had grown but was still below the 10th centile. The consultant said that in an otherwise healthy pregnancy it wouldn't be a concern as baby is still within normal ranges but small. However, with me having excessive vomiting and baby originally being on the 50th centiles I'm now being monitored twice a week and checked weekly to see if I'm favourable for induction xx

Thanks Katy,

Hope it all goes well for you. How are you feeling?

:hugs:

Im in same position had a growth scan at 28wks cos im on daily blood thinner injections and go back this thurseday for another growth scan because he's small, i'll be 32wks im also hoping he's grown because my second son slowed down at 30wks and was in hospital for bed rest so they could get me to 38wks then they induced me and said he'd be better out than in x good luck sweetie x

With my daughter, I was 'always' measuring 3 weeks behind in measurements and she was born at 38 weeks, 6 lbs, 6 oz.....so, she was not that tiny for measuring 3 weeks behind at 38 weeks gestation~

Im in same position had a growth scan at 28wks cos im on daily blood thinner injections and go back this thurseday for another growth scan because he's small, i'll be 32wks im also hoping he's grown because my second son slowed down at 30wks and was in hospital for bed rest so they could get me to 38wks then they induced me and said he'd be better out than in x good luck sweetie x

Thanks Poppy,

Hope all goes well for you

With my daughter, I was 'always' measuring 3 weeks behind in measurements and she was born at 38 weeks, 6 lbs, 6 oz.....so, she was not that tiny for measuring 3 weeks behind at 38 weeks gestation~

Thanks Angellica,

Your right - 6lbs 6ozs is a lovely size.

Thanks Katy,

Hope it all goes well for you. How are you feeling?

Mainly just want him here now, everytime I have a hospital appointment I get myself all ready mentally for them to say they're going to induce me. Then they don't :dohh: But I know he'll be here soon enough xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->