growth scan measurements anyone?

emily3399

3 dd's expecting #4:)
Reaction score
hi all hoping for a bit of advice I had a growth scan at 28 weeks and my babys abdomen was measuring at 31/32 weeks and his estimated weight was 1.5kg its really worrying me that hes measuring so far ahead the health professionals don't seem to be concerned at all but im really panicking about how big he is :( ive had my GTT and it came back fine xx

Growth scans are notoriously unreliable, and it can be due to many reasons. I had one last week and baby had weird measurements. Her belly was between 38-40 weeks, head spot on and she kept wriggling so her femur length originally was 28weeks - when they went back and remeasured they said probably more around 33-34 weeks. Maybe your LO has just been through a growth spurt? If your health care providers don't seem concerned then try not to stress too much, every baby grows differently and every tech seems to measure differently. Also, the weight in these scans aren't always spot on and are only averages, I've read so many women who have said that their babies were predicted to be 9-10lb and came out at 7lb.

^^what previous posts have said: try not to stress. Some babies just grow differently.
I had a growth scan and efw done last week at 36w due to a history of previous big babies for my size. I'm small but dh and his family are tall and big. My babies just tend to grow faster and bigger than the 'norm'.
my little girl was measuring: head 38w, belly 37w, femur length 38w; with an estimated weight of 6lb 14oz as of 36w. If it is correct then she will be another big baby for me but since I have a history of delivering early (37-38w) I hope she is here for Christmas and stays around 7.5-8lbs!!

Hey :)

1.5kg is just under 3 and a half pounds. They say babies put on roughly half a pound a week, so if you got to the full 40 weeks, baby would be roughly just under 9 and a half pounds (more likely 8.5-9.5 though), which isn't that big these days, and not considered medically big (10lbs+), which is probably why they are not concerned with his size. It's within the correct range, even if baby is on the heavier end of normal. Xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->