Growth scan UK?

CordeliaJ

Reaction score
Has anyone in the UK had a growth scan in third tri? My last scan was around 20 weeks, and as far as I know that's my last one.
Annoying people keep telling me I'm huge and that they should be giving me a growth scan because my bump looks too big for 30 weeks. First of all I wish they would bugger off, I don't need to be told I'm huge! Second of all one of these people was a mother of 2 children, and told me they should be doing a growth scan, which is the first I've heard of this. And she acted like it was all really concerning that no one had told me the size of my baby.

I remember someone on here telling me at my next midwife apt they will measure the bump to see if I'm measuring big. They didn't seem concerned last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. I've also heard women say things like "oh they told me to expect a 9lb baby"...do they actually say things like that? Because no one has told me what to expect and I'm feeling a little clueless now. :shrug:

Ignore what people are telling you. I've been told all the way through how huge I am yet the midwife measures me a couple of centimeters under each time. So unless your friends are medically qualified ignore them. They're just being rude and nosey

Ugh people like this WIND ME UP!!!

I carry big with ALL of my babies its only this time I'm having a growth scan because they need to check on my placenta... I'm only measuring slightly ahead +2 weeks at my last visit to the mw.

When the mw measures you she will only request a growth scan if you are measuring +3 weeks or -3 weeks... so don't worry honey,Don't listen to them x

The MW will measure your bump at your appointments in third tri and if she is concerned she'll refer you to the hospital.

I have had two growth scans this time. One at 28 weeks and one at 32 weeks. But these are due to complications and a small baby in my last pregnancy. I wouldn't have had them if this was my first pregnancy.

There's no harm in asking your MW at your next appointment to put your mind at ease though.

I have growth scans but not because I measure bigger it is because of a blood disorder. I am measuring 5 weeks bigger with this baby and I did with my 2nd. There is always someone that is out to worry you one way or another. I had the whole your baby will be 14lb plus with my 2nd (from sonographers and consultants) and was asking for c-section as didn't think I could do it but they refused and he was 7lb 12 and only 20 min labour so even the medical people have no idea what they are talking about sometimes! x

Thanks, ok I feel a bit better now!

I think it's really bad that so many women (strangers in fact, not even people I know) feel they can make these comments to a FTM! I am clueless so all this stuff just stresses me out. One of the worst questions is "are you sure it's not twins?" GRRRR.

Several weeks back a member of Asda staff looked at me and said, "god, don't have that baby now, will you? I don't think I could handle it." I want to go back at full term and go into labour just to spite him

I had a growth scan at 28 weeks because of stomach problems I have and they wanted to make sure baby was growing fine. I'm always getting told my bump is small but midwife says its measuring exactly what it should so not to worry. Everyone carries different and there is no set size of how a bump should be so don't worry

sneaking in from 2nd tri even tho i'll be joining u ladies next week. I've been booked in for a growth scan nothing to do with me having a problem or concerns with baby, my consultant just booked me in for one and said we'd see how baby was doing.they give u a estimated birth weight but i've heard lots of stories of them being far off

Thanks, ok I feel a bit better now!

I think it's really bad that so many women (strangers in fact, not even people I know) feel they can make these comments to a FTM! I am clueless so all this stuff just stresses me out. One of the worst questions is "are you sure it's not twins?" GRRRR.

I get the whole are you having twins thing all the time with this baby. I mus admit I am huge and have been since I was 14 weeks but it does get a bit annoying. When I say nope def just 1 in there they then go on to say well it could be one of those hidden twins!!!
I am sure you have a gorgeous bump and people are just ignorant and need to sod off lol x

Ugh for goodness sake it really winds me up when ppl put there two pence in with their so called 'helpful comments' That is what the health professionals are for! Your MW will measure you and if she thinks your big she will refer you for the growth scan. I bet you're not even measuring big though so don't worry about it and don't be put off thinking you're going to have a giant baby either, my babies were both big and I had no probs plus there are loads of ppl on here with babies 10 lb plus and they had no probs either x

I get a scan in a couple of weeks, but thats just because ive changed hospital. Up until week 28 I was registered with West Cumberland, but then moved house so now im registered at Warrington. Because Ive transferred warrington have booked me in for a scan woo!

well ill be having growth scan at 28 weeks and 34 but thats for something totally differnet (my boys leg hasnt developed properly) i dont think its common practice otherwise and if youve been measured and your midwife is happy then your fine im sure. ignore every one else ;) x

Oh I got the 'omg are you sure there's only one in there' comment yesterday ..... from.... my cousin! After I shared my 34 week pic on facebook !

I have a growth scan at 34 weeks but because I of BMI.

You'd have been offered one if the MW or docs thought you needed it.

I think people just find things to say and its usually down the road of you're huge or are you sure it's not twins.

It's programmed into people! I know I'm not huge but still get it

I was massive with my son as I have a small torso so he can only grow outwards so my bump is sticky outy but he as a lovely 7lb9 in weight and I think this one will be very similar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->