Growth scan

lisaalove

Reaction score
Just got done at my 32 week appointment and heard the words I've been dreading since my 20 week scan. They finally told me that I need to go in for a growth scan. :nope: My las appointment was at 28 weeks and I was measuring just over 27 weeks (fundal) this time I went in and when she said 29 I knew what was going to come out of her mouth next. They've been letting me know since my 20 week that they were going to keep an eye on us as he was measuring two weeks behind then and at all my previous scans he was measuring either bang on dates or a little ahead. It doesn't help that at my work I am constantly hearing about how small I am for being so far along. It just makes me think about it even more. :wacko: Being positive I know I'm happy they have kept an eye on us so well so far and he may just be a small baby there might not be anything wrong but I've literally had a gut feeling almost my whole pregnancy (since before my 20w scan) that he will be a premie. I'm just so nervous. I feel like I could have done something different but I know there's nothing else I could have done I did everything "right" with this pregnancy, where as with my first I did everything wrong because I didn't even find out I was pregnant till I was 13 weeks. I drank (it was Holiday season before I found out) I smoked I didn't take prenatals. I ate so much junk food and this time I took prenatals before I got pregnant and still am, never had a sip of alcohol quit smoking almost a two years ago. I've been keeping up with walking eating healthy (minus a few weeks where I craved anything and everything sweet) I honestly don't expect anyone to make it through this whole thing I just know my DH is tired of hearing me rant about how I feel like there's something I could have done or how I'm scared and all of my what if's. He's a very positive person and says everything will be perfectly fine but I just can't help but worry. The fact that I have to wait another two weeks just adds to the stress, Okay I'm done venting... :cry:

So how far along are you now and what gestation is he measuring? Xx

Awww I hope everything is okay luv. Stay positive

Awww I hope everything is okay luv. Stay positive

Thank you I' m being as ppositive as possible I do know that once you hit 32 weeks baby has about a 90 percent chance of survival and when you hit 34 it's like a 95 percent chance and I will gladly take those odds if he's not tthriving in utero more thananything though iI'm just worried and wondering what if she tells she wants to induce me the same week I get the scan! I still ddon't have a hospital bag packed or car seat installed need to get my car detailed and right now we'r having problems with our Iinsurance so I don't have much time to figure that out either. But I do just want a happy healthy baby that' my number one goal ♡

So have they not scanned you and told you what size baby is measuring? Xx

So have they not scanned you and told you what size baby is measuring? Xx

Not since my 20w scan and at that point he was measuring two weeks behind. I have a scan set up for the 20th and a follow up apt for right after. The fact that they scheduled it for so far out is worrisome but I have a doppler here at home and he's very active so if I feel something is off then I will just go into l&d to get checked out.

I was also measuring 29 weeks at 32 weeks and had a growth scan. The baby was totally fine (I think weighed 4.6 oz at 32 and3) and ended up at 7.13 oz! I had been two weeks behind the whole time with the fundal measurements (with good scans) and when it started to slip to 3 weeks behind I got the scan. Sounds a lot like you! Hope everything goes well.

Hon a 30 weeker has over a 95% chance of survival, by 34 weeks we're at 99%, while small for dates makes it slightly harder the nurses refer to babies born after 30 weeks as feeder growers as most of them have a pretty smooth journey and just need to put on weight and hold their body temperature. The figures you are looking at are global ones, in the states you have a much more advanced health system than many countries can offer. I work as a parent liaison for my local nicu, as well as having been there myself I know that no matter what gestation your baby arrives if you haven't had a preemie before it's blinking scary. Hope your little one has put on a few oz this week.

Hon a 30 weeker has over a 95% chance of survival, by 34 weeks we're at 99%, while small for dates makes it slightly harder the nurses refer to babies born after 30 weeks as feeder growers as most of them have a pretty smooth journey and just need to put on weight and hold their body temperature. The figures you are looking at are global ones, in the states you have a much more advanced health system than many countries can offer. I work as a parent liaison for my local nicu, as well as having been there myself I know that no matter what gestation your baby arrives if you haven't had a preemie before it's blinking scary. Hope your little one has put on a few oz this week.

Thank you for your advice, I wasn't aware that it was different here in the u.s. I hope so too I feel like I'm in tww all over again this appointment couldn't seem to take any longer. :(

I know it is really really hard not to worry when you hear something that *might* be a concern...but i really think you have nothing to worry about. I measured 25 fundal height at 28 weeks - no one was concerned because fundal height can be wildly inaccurate. At 30 weeks a scan (for reduced movement) showed she was behind 2 weeks but again.....no-one was concerned. Now my fundal height is a massive 5cm behind they have started to look into it, did a scan and yes she is 3 weeks behind but still, they aren't overly worried. I just have to be monitored 2 times per week and may possibly be induced after 37w if growth is still slow.

So, I highly doubt a few cms on your fundal height is anything to worry about. See what the scan says, but try not to worry its most likely you'll just be monitored a little more. They told me they'll only induce before 37 weeks for severe growth restriction and failure of the placenta (scan will show this) - if that was happening baby wouldn't be moving much either.

Hope all goes well.

I had my ultrasound today and follow up apt right after. He is measuring in the 19th percentile, my fundal height is now 30 instead of 29 but my fluid is low so they want me to come in for nst's every week. He's already head down (that I couldn't believe!) But the doctor did mention that she expects me to deliver early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->