GRR my freezer unfroze :( breastmilk question..

AC1987

Mom of 2 DD's
Reaction score
So my freezer sucks and the slightest movement from the cord and it stops working.
I have SO much breastmilk frozen, I'm HOPING I can just refreeze the milk.. as since DD2 is now on solids, I'm not really producing much. I mean I know I COULD pump quite a bit more it just means I won't get to sleep much during the night.
Should I dump all of my pumped milk? I can't find much things online about it.. as I know its not cows milk so its not the same..

i have never frozen milk but according to kellymom you cant refreeze it. But instead of just throwing it out you could bake with it. google some recipes, your whole family with get the benefits of your milk.

Did it fully thaw? I have read that if there is even one ice crystal left it is still considered frozen and thus to freeze it back would not be considered thawing then refreezing. I have never had a problem with power outages, it may thaw a bit around the edges but I have never had any frozen milk be bad later.

I'm unsure if it fully thawed or not...
I used some of the milk today only I noticed it looked curdled, she drank it fine though didn't make a face or anything, so unsure what is going on there... :wacko:
It just makes me upset to think that all the milk needs to be thrown.

It is one of my biggest fears, every time the power goes out here I have a full on panic attack. I previously thought if it even got the least bit thawed, it was messed up, but I read something to the contrary on kelly mom or somewhere.

Maybe it was a food safety website:

https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/frozen_food.html

Thawed or partially thawed food in the freezer may be safely refrozen if it still contains ice crystals or is at 40 °F or below. Partial thawing and refreezing may affect the quality of some food, but the food will be safe to eat.

I assume if it's safe for regular food, it's safe for BM. The website has a handy chart, and it includes milk (not specifically breastmilk). It says if it still has ice crystals and/or is below 40 degrees, refreeze. It DOES warn you could have some texture loss, which is what sounds like happened, but it should be safe.

Sorry but my breastfeeding support women says as soon as it has begun to thaw it has to be used or put in the fridge and can't be refrozen! I think this is why there also very specific about it being put at the back of the freezer and not in the doors

I would logically say it's probably best to throw it out, but I know if it were me I would be pained to do so.

If you keep them, maybe thaw individually as needed instead of letting it thaw and sit in the fridge for the usual max. time limit of 24 hours.

So far some is ok to use others I've just been pitching, it hurts to throw out even 8 ounces :( *sigh* thankfully I am still pumping so I might start a new stash. If it looks curdled when I thaw it then I pitch it to be safe.

Even good milk sometimes looks curdled before it is fully warm. But bad milk will smell soured.

Was it a freezer chest, or a deep freeze? Those things are pretty well insulated and can go for days sometimes before the contents thaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->