Guilt about second child! Help.

Al Syr

Reaction score
I cannot stop feeling guilty and feeling like I betrayed my 22 month old by having this new baby. I look at my son and I just cry and want to hold him tight and tell him I'm sorry. The new baby cries often, if she is not sleeping or eating or being held she cries, and there is times she just won't go to sleep. My son is acting normal, playing, being his silly self but I just wish I would have waited. I just wish it was only him and me again. I love the new baby so so much but I can't stop feeling guilty.

Is this feeling ever going to go away? Is this baby blues? Or is this permanent?

I felt like this, soooo guilty and sad that it wasn't just me and my son any more but I promise you, it goes away. Now I look at them both and I'm so happy they have each other.
I think it just takes some adjusting to, as it's a huge change for us!

Thank you! I see your youngest is almost 4 months old, how long did it take for the guilt to pass?

Probably about a month? It got easier the more I could do with my eldest and the more they could do together.

Please don't feel guilty. For a start your children will never know any different from always having siblings. Also the very fact you're worried prices you're going out of your way to be there for both. I have 3 children, 13 , 8 and 3 months. Although the large gaps made it easier for me to cope with them all I think I felt the guilt even worse because my son had me for 5 yrs and we're really close. He has ADHD, mild Asperger's syndrome and no relationship with his father (my ex) at all. I felt a huge responsibility to him and when my daughter came along I felt terrible like I'd abandoned him. They were always fine. It affected me more than them. I went through the same worry when my baby daughter - 13 weeks, was born. My eldest daughter was worried, jealous of the attention the new baby attracted and was tearful. This was because baby was another girl and being 8 yrs old was used to being my baby girl for so long. It broke my heart to see her worrying. Now baby is 13 weeks she loves her, is confident of her place again and is excited for when baby talks, walks, loves to be involved with bathing, feeding etc. my point being whether u have kids close together or with a gap you'll always worry about spreading yourself between children and always worry about your own feelings towards this new 'stranger' compared to the children you've already got who u know and have established a relationship with. I was an only child and would have given anything to have siblings. My mother always said she only wanted me and was happy with 1. I think it's all well and good for the parent but chiksren need to grow up alongside other children I strongly believe. My parents tried their best and were great and I wanted for nothing... But I always felt lonely for the company of brothers or sisters, even now I'm jealous of those with siblings as much as they may argue at times. My essay is over lol !!

Please don't feel guilty. For a start your children will never know any different from always having siblings. Also the very fact you're worried prices you're going out of your way to be there for both. I have 3 children, 13 , 8 and 3 months. Although the large gaps made it easier for me to cope with them all I think I felt the guilt even worse because my son had me for 5 yrs and we're really close. He has ADHD, mild Asperger's syndrome and no relationship with his father (my ex) at all. I felt a huge responsibility to him and when my daughter came along I felt terrible like I'd abandoned him. They were always fine. It affected me more than them. I went through the same worry when my baby daughter - 13 weeks, was born. My eldest daughter was worried, jealous of the attention the new baby attracted and was tearful. This was because baby was another girl and being 8 yrs old was used to being my baby girl for so long. It broke my heart to see her worrying. Now baby is 13 weeks she loves her, is confident of her place again and is excited for when baby talks, walks, loves to be involved with bathing, feeding etc. my point being whether u have kids close together or with a gap you'll always worry about spreading yourself between children and always worry about your own feelings towards this new 'stranger' compared to the children you've already got who u know and have established a relationship with. I was an only child and would have given anything to have siblings. My mother always said she only wanted me and was happy with 1. I think it's all well and good for the parent but chiksren need to grow up alongside other children I strongly believe. My parents tried their best and were great and I wanted for nothing... But I always felt lonely for the company of brothers or sisters, even now I'm jealous of those with siblings as much as they may argue at times. My essay is over lol !!

Thank you so much for this. That last part where you say you were an only child and wish you had siblings really spoke to me. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->