*Gulp* Is this really really bad???

Relax! I'm Rh- and DH is Rh+, all of my boys have been Rh+ so just my luck I've had to have lots of anti-D jabs lol. When I had my eldest they just gave it after delivery of baby was Rh- but by the time I had my youngest that gave routine Anti-D to all Rh- women in pregnancy, plus after any bleeds as mentioned.

Gemma x

Most women are fine with their first pregnancy.
I'm O Rh- which is one of the rarer blood types in the UK. (7% population)
but my understanding is if they feel you are at risk they will give you an injection.
the basis is IF the mother and babys blood happen to mixed during the pregnancy then there is a risk that the mothers body will produce anti-bodies to attack the invading party (baby) but they will be able to see this in blood tests.
If anything i'm expecting regular blood test during pregnancy,

but when u get pg dont they give u injections now? sure they do uknow hun

yes u norm have a shot at beg and after birth defo and sometimes during if there are bleeds i am rh- and its fine, i had a mc about 7yrs ago and i had to have a shot then too. its controllable and they will just be extra vigilant with us so we dont get into any danger if aything its gd as we get special treatment!!! My Auntie is rh- too and she has 3 children and only 1 is rh- so her two boys were rh+ and they are both totally fine!! xxx

Its ok sweet. I am RH- and so is my sister and both our OH are RH+ my sister has an RH+ baby on the way. She started to spot at 8 weeks n they gave her the anti-d and she hasnt had any problems since. They gave her the anti-d again 2 weeks ago (28 weeks) when i went to her check-up and scan with her. I asked the midwife about it and she said its absolutely no problem these days. It was 30 years ago but its easily sorted now.

Hey don't worry about it. I have looked into this as I am A- and DH is O+, so I was worried at first too!

As others have said, the first pregnancy is normally fine and they just give you a couple of shots to prevent problems for future pregnancies. Many people are in this situation and have healthy babies - no cause for alarm.

In fact, there is a thread here on BnB about this very issue.......

forgot to say that my mum is RH- and although me and my sister are RH- my twin brothers are RH+ and she just had the anti-d injections with them - that was 22 years ago and she went on to have my sister so its all good.

hey hun, in case its any help there's a thread about this in first trimester..the link is:
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...obstetric-cholestasis-rhd-factors-rhesus.html

hey
me and partner same, i had a jab with first pregnancy then after the birth, which i seem to remember will be all i need for future pregnancies. ie had no jabs with 2nd pregnancy..

It is a problem, can't deny that but it can still happen.
im rh + and my mum is rh - and I dont think it caused major problems for her, although the birth was nasty and we both had to stay in hosp for a while and I was in intensive care because of the blood groups mixing and causing some probs I think. also I was about 2 weeks late nd a very tiny baby, dunno if thats got anything to do with the blood groups?
x

OH MY GOODNESS!!! You guys are soooooo amazing! :happydance: Thank you so so so much! I feel loads better now. :) I woke up still worrying about this (I remember hearing scary things about it in childhood, but that was a looong time ago and it must have been more serious back then)... and here I am, an hour after waking and feel totally cool about it now!!!!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

You ladies are lifesavers!!! And I mean that literally -- seeing as how I am 5 dpo, you probably just saved any bean that might be there from my worrying so much that it would shake loose! :)

*big sigh of relief*

It means a lot to me that so many replied and offered good advice and comfort and links to more info... It will be a miracle if I get anything done at work today cuz I'll be following all these links!!

:hugs: to every single awesome lady on this site. :) You all get GOLD STARS for today!

Hi Tiger,

my nan was rh - and she had 4 children...her youngest was the most ill and nearly died at birth. This was around 40 years ago so there was not the help and information that there is nowadays.

You will be offered anti D, injections to stop your body rejecting the baby. there is no reason you shouldnt go on to have a healthy baby x

its the least we can do. especially me after you helped me out with my freak the other day. Wouldnt be in 2ww now if it wasnt for you - id be crying my eyes out instead!

its the least we can do. especially me after you helped me out with my freak the other day. Wouldnt be in 2ww now if it wasnt for you - id be crying my eyes out instead!

AWW! Thanks, hon. :) :hugs:

I was wondering about this myself as Im negative, why they didnt give me the anti d injection when I MC as I remember saying that I would have to have it through pregnancy and on birth.

I was wondering about this myself as Im negative, why they didnt give me the anti d injection when I MC as I remember saying that I would have to have it through pregnancy and on birth.

Maybe they had reason to believe there was no risk of blood types mixing? Or maybe it was so early in pg that the little one wasn't developed enough to have started producing rh factor yet? :shrug:

This is what my antenatal notes from last month say...

"If you are rhesus negative we will give you an injection called anti-D if you bleed during your pregnancy or if any invasive treatments are carried out, eg amniocentesis. After delivery of your baby we may want to repeat this injection.

If you are rhesus positive, no further action will be necesary."

Theres nothing about the father even mentioned, so I'm guessing it makes no difference, unlike with other things like sickle cell and things.

Or your baby was Rh- too... Just as two Rh- parents can make an Rh+ baby, the baby won't necessarily be Rh+ just because the Dad is. Rh is a lot more complex than the single gene inheritance they make it out to be. There are actually several genes involved at play. They only test for one of them, which is why they aren't always 100% right.

I know a ton about this now. LoL.

Im Rh- and OH is Rh+ like the other ladies said its fine, i get my first anti D injecton at 28wks and a second one not long after. My midwife did tell me its changing to one injection very soon. x

Did you read your info properly chick? The reason I say this as in cases where mum and baby differ its not baby 1 they worry about, its your second baby which is why you will have some injections after pg.
Listen lady you and your baby will be fine the internet can be a useful source of info but it can also scare you witless. I promise, I work in medicine and these days it is SO rare for there to be complications and plus if you have no other immunity issues dont worry. Just think on this; years ago we had no way of checking bloods and there were many many many healthy Rh neg and + babies born, these days a little knowledge can do a lot of harm.
You will be ok.
Massive hugs to you xxx

Oh and the above ladies are spot on also. Its about mixing of bloods and the anti D will keep you safe. You know theres a potential issue and sweetie, thats half the battle won x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->