*Gulp* Is this really really bad???

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
Just found out potentially bad news. :( I'm Rh neg and OH is Rh pos. :cry: Seems everyone in his family is Rh pos, so there is a high liklihood baby would be Rh pos.

Have been trying to do some basic research and have found sometimes it's okay with treatment, but sometimes is wicked wicked horrible.

Anyone have any experience with this??

I'm a little freaked. :shock:

Thanks!

Was wondering the same thing.. do these things get transferred via Both parents chromosomes?! Is it a ressesive thing or dominant?

Sometimes things will only be gotten from the mothers side o that would mean you could be alright?

the factor in blood type..

ie A- is neg Rh
A+ is pos

if a mom is neg and dad is pos and baby ends up pos (which is likely) then mom's body can/will react to baby like an invader and make antibodies that can do MAJOR damage. :cry:

Maybe talk to your gp..

As far as i am aware (and i havnt read anything about it to be honest) they should be able to keep a close eye on it.. i am pretty sure that if the body creates it out of both genes it will find a way to work :)

Update us if you can and definitely talk to the doc if it worries you, i might ask my mom, she was a nurse too

Doesn't it just cause jaundice?

no.. can cause organ damage, including severe brain damage... premature birth... all sorts of really bad things. :(

The problem is NEITHER of my genes produce it (hense neg) and if the baby's genes produce it (gets the gene from dad), then my body won't recognize it and will think it is a forgein invader and treat it like any other forgein invader and attack it to try to destroy it. :cry:

Hmm cause my friend monica had that but both her kids just had jaundice pretty bad cases but they are both healthy babies now.

Is there nothing they can give your body to help you not react to it?

well, that was some good news about your friend. :)

Yeah, there is a blood product to sensitise you to it so hopefully your body won't attack baby as badly, but it doesn't always work from what I can tell. I will talk to my OB next time I'm there, but I'm just a little freaked out learning about it. :(

Aww i'm so very sorry honey!! :hugs: I really hope it works out, you'll have to let us know what you hear from your OB. technology and medicine is so advanced now i'm sure they can figure something out to help you concieve your precious bump healthily!! I'll keep you in my prayers and hope for the best!! Lots of :hugs:

I've heard of this before being that I'm O+ and my hubby is A- so we too have different Rh's. There is a shot the mother is given so the body won't treat the baby like a threat to the body. I have read into it extensively in the past and didn't find anything to be worried about. The shot ensures your body won't reject and/or damage the baby. You should still talk to your doctor, since they are the experts and know better. Good luck!

My sister is Rh - And she has had two healthy babies. She had to get a needle, and all was fine. I am sure all will be fine, as there are many Rh - women out there that deliver healthy babies. Talk to your Doctor to give you some assurance.:hug:

I think you'll be fine. I've heard of this situation before and thought they had found ways around it so that it wasn't a big deal. Remember, I am a research whore, so let me know if you want to find out more about it.

Ok will keep updating the thread with anything helpful I find. This first!

https://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/rhnegative.html
If you are RH- and your baby RH+, and your blood mixes with your baby's, it could become sensitized. Your body could begin producing antibodies to the RH+ blood. If these antibodies get to an unborn baby, they can begin killing off the baby's red blood cells. This is called RH disease. It is rare for it to affect a first baby, but if the mother becomes sensitized and produces antibodies to RH+ blood, it could cause problems for future babies. RH disease is very serious; however, recent medical advances allow 90% of babies with RH disease to survive (March of Dimes).

So you probably do not need to worry yet!! Still a good thing to think about for the future.

Ok, you probably need to read the entire site. It goes into depth about the Rhogam shot - which you will probably need. It is a shot that is made up of Anti-D immunoglobulin. It will keep the Rh- mother from producing antibodies of her own as it tricks her body into thinking she has already released antibodies.

This one gives a quick rundown:

https://www.expectantmothersguide.com/library/pittsburgh/bloodtype.htm
The good news is that this serious condition is preventable. As a part of their prenatal care, women at risk (Rh- women with Rh+ mates) can receive a serum called Rho-GAM. The Rho-GAM injection contains anti-Rh+ antibodies in a small dose and is given to the expectant mother around the 28th week of pregnancy and again within 72 hours after the delivery of an Rh+ baby. This important treatment can be 99% effective in preventing erythroblastosis fetalis by acting as a passive form of immunization. The Rho-GAM prevents the mother from forming her own long-lasting antibodies. The Rho-GAM antibodies are temporary, leaving the bloodstream after a short period. Rho-GAM is also given to Rh- women after a miscarriage, an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy, or an abortion.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080719194127AAlVNY9

If a RH- person gives birth to an RH+ baby, the RH- mother MUST get a rhogram shot twice. This is to prevent the mother's body from creating a resistance to the future RH+ babies the mother may have. It is like getting the flu the first time, after you get it once, the body prepares itself to fight it the next time. In this case, if you were to NOT get the rhogram shot, if you got pregnant with another RH+ baby, your RH- blood would "dispose" of the baby..... It will treat the baby like a virus and will attack it.

They have to do this anytime your blood COULD mix with the babies, such as miscarriages, amniocentesis and birth. If they can't find out your blood type, they will draw blood to make sure to find out if you need the shot of not....

If you are RH-, the doctor will make sure to get you the shot. They know what happens if you don't get the shot within the certain time frame. They know that and will give you the shot if you need it. They will also give you a card to show that you did get the shot.

If you are positive, you can have either type baby and not have any problems with the shot or not....

Positive can have both with no problems, but negative can only have negative, UNLESS they get the shot....

It does not cause diseases in the baby. It is only determining whether the mom needs the shot or not to have future kids........

Any other question, e-mail me.....

* 3 months ago

Source(s):
My mom, RH-, personal experience
She got it three times, twice after kids, once after miscarriage
Myself, RH+, personal experience
never had it, but after my miscarriage, they could not find my blood type, so they drew blood to make sure I didn't need the shot....

Conclusions:

It is perfectly treatable with modern medicine. There are some risks involved, but I hear they are small. I really don't think you need to be too worried.

A short and sweet page explaining it well: https://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_information/rh_status.htm

If you want an in depth look, try looking at the first link I posted.

I'm Rh- and OH is Rh+, it's really no big deal... just a few injections during your pregnancy and one after delivery and you're good. Also if you have any bleeds during pregnancy it is important to have an injection within 72 hours. But I have 2 healthy babies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->