Had my first prenatal appt, but nothing was done to confirm pregnancy.

xakikox

Reaction score
They didn't test my HCG nor did they do anything to confirm that I was pregnant except possibly a pap smear to check that everything was ok "in there". Is this normal? She did test out the doppler, but at 9 weeks, it was too early for it to detect a heartbeat. I'm going in at 11 weeks to get an ultrasound done for First trimester Screening, but wondering if my doctor should have confirmed my pregnancy during the first appt.

I can't say if it's normal or not, but no one ever confirmed my pregnancy either, at least not until I went for a dating scan at exactly 7 weeks.

Glad you'll get to see your little one at a scan in not too long.

I didn't have anything confirmed, at my doctors appointment I just had my pee tested for normal protein levels, and then she referred me to the midwife team at the hospital. I had my booking appointment and just got asked a load of questions, no test or scan!

I thought it was strange that she had my pee in front of her and didn't other testing for HCG! It made me wonder how many people they see at 12 week scans who aren't actually pregnant?! Must be some!

Sounds like a normal first visit! We got to listen to the HB at our first appt but I was 10 1/2 weeks and it still took 5 minutes or so to find. From your next appointment on they should listen to the HB each time. Unless there is a cause for concern (bleeding, cramping etc) there really isn't additional checking they will do

In the uk you just see the doctor when you get a BFP at home, he refers you to midwife and then you get a letter through for scan at 12 weeks. Pregnancy isn't confirmed with anything until scan! X

I found it particularly disturbing too when they just took my word for it that I was pregnant and didn't test my blood or urine or look if my cervix had closed or feel my abdomen or anything, seemed really strange to me! But I guess pregnancy tests now, especially the digital ones, are as good as anything they can do in the doctors office and if they just want a yes or no at first and you're not at risk or need any further tests I guess I can see why they save their money.

My doctor checked my urine and did a pregnancy test to confirm. She also did a pap smear and internal, external check. Said it all looks as it should for a pregnant lady. I think hpts are so accurate these days that if you say you got a positive, its pretty legit.

This is what I'm worried about, I feel I need some reassure ment that I'm not making it all up! Lol
I'm in the uk, my periods havnt been right for the lat 2 month so no idea how dr along I am, will they just have a guess at how far I am? Or book me an early scan?

In the UK it's normal not to have pregnancy checked with tests and I have only had my cervix checked at full term. The first scan (12 weeks) is when you'll have it 'confirmed' and dates calculated from measurements. I thought it was a bit odd with my first pregnancy that no-one checked, especially as in the U.K you get free prescriptions and dental stuff!!!

They probably won't give you an early scan just for dating Hun. Its ridiculously hard to get in with epu when there's an issue, so I imagine they will just say to wait untill your dating scan at 12 weeks. They will just take it from your lmp or your best guess. It doesn't matter too much If your a couple of weeks out at this stage as there won't be a real change in your care till at least 15 weeks. It's pretty hands off in the first tri. And Don't worry as I've never had any of my pregnancies confirmed at first midwife appointments. Guess they think home tests are reliable enough. Would be nice for peace of mind though!

For my first 8 week appointment all they are going to do is an in office pregnancy test to confirm, nothing else. I'm in the US.

During my 1st appt they did a pap and checked up there and we're able to confirm I felt as far along as I said I was.

I'm in the UK and I rung the gp for an appointment to confirm the pregnancy and refer me to the mw but they said they don't do that and I was booked in with the mw to go when I am 7weeks. I keep feeling like I'm not pregnant and worrying something's happened. The thing is I was on citalapram and would have kept taking it if I hadn't have seen online that its best not to take it.
I really think there needs to be more interaction with a medical professional within the first 8-12wks.

I didn't have anything confirmed, at my doctors appointment I just had my pee tested for normal protein levels, and then she referred me to the midwife team at the hospital. I had my booking appointment and just got asked a load of questions, no test or scan!

I thought it was strange that she had my pee in front of her and didn't other testing for HCG! It made me wonder how many people they see at 12 week scans who aren't actually pregnant?! Must be some!

I wondered about that too! As I said to my husband, for all they know I could be some crazy woman just pretending to be pregnant for attention, LOL.

The very first thing and actually, only thing done at my first doctors appointment was check my HCG with a blood test.

At my first appointment, they did two urine tests in the office (both positive) and sent for blood tests and hcg reading.

But from what it sounds like, your experience is common in the uk. I can't imagine having to wait until a 12 week scan for confirmation though! I'm only (now officially 8weeks 6 days but according to lmp was 9 weeks 3 days) and I've already had a few tests and 2 scans!! The wait must feel so much longer for you!

I Had same typical uk experience - no doctor- receptionist booked me straight in with midwife as I said I had a positive hpt.

I was booked in for first midwife appointment at 10.5 weeks .

Then no test at first midwife appointment.

I was looking through my notes though and on one of my blood tests they have written my blood group- and it says 'pregnant' which made me think perhaps they did check that hcg was present and if it was not - maybe they would have contacted me to tell me I was wrong !?

In the uk you just see the doctor when you get a BFP at home, he refers you to midwife and then you get a letter through for scan at 12 weeks. Pregnancy isn't confirmed with anything until scan! X

They don't do this now, at least my doc didn't! I:flower: got my BFP then got an appointment with doctor to confirm, but he says I've had two positive HPTs so that was good enough for him!:wacko: What I should've done was phone the surgery and get an appointment with the community midwife! I've seen her twice and not once was my pregnancy confirmed I don't go for my scan until 2nd Feb!

I'm also wondering how ladies turn up for 12week scan to find no pregnancy?

same here in the uk they just take your word for it when i had my first and second they used to do a preg test at the docs to confirm but that was over 14 years ago lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->