• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Had the cat put to sleep.

MrsPear

Mum
Reaction score
We had our cat put down today :nope: She was 17 and someone gave her to us a few months ago, so we knew we might not have her for long.

But I feel so guilty because the problem with her was just that she forgot how to use the litter tray. The vet said it was feline dementia (probably accelerated by moving house late in life) and there isn't really any way to 're-teach' her how to use it. She was weeing all over.

The house was really starting to stink and the last straw was when I took Joni out today, kissed the top of her head, and realised the cat hat wee'd on her sunhat :nope:. When I saw her squatting on the rug I would put her in the litter tray, but it's not like you can watch them 24/7 and I tried keeping her in the kitchen whenever I wasn't there so at least it would be on a hard floor (plus I put the litter tray in there so she would be right beside it at all times), but that's not exactly hygienic and I can't keep her in the kitchen all the time, it wouldn't be fair.

I feel so guilty, because looking at her, she was a healthy enough cat. Actually she had some heart failure/hyperthyroidism so perhaps she wouldn't have lasted that long anyway (and that does make me feel better) but I feel like I let her down. I took on a pet and I feel like I got rid just because it was 'difficult'. But it was getting so ridiculous, especially with a baby. I even had a shower, then half way through drying myself, realised she had wee'd on the towel :dohh:

Poor little thing.

:hugs: It's never an easy decision to make but I really believe the saying that it's better to let them ago a week too early than a minute too late. Cats are naturally such clean creatures that I think it distresses them to be messing in the house, particularly with the onset of dementia.

I'm so sorry. Never an easy decision but you did the right thing for her. xx

So sorry Hun,

She had 17, happy years.

You did the right thing, even though it was a hard thing to do.

Sending you hugs
Xx

I think you've done the right thing. Never easy. Big hugs. Xx

:hugs: It's never an easy decision to make but I really believe the saying that it's better to let them ago a week too early than a minute too late. Cats are naturally such clean creatures that I think it distresses them to be messing in the house, particularly with the onset of dementia.

I couldn't agree more. Don't feel guilty, you are a kind person Mrspear :hugs:

When my mum was sick I had to take her cat to be put down (the cat was also sick) and it was such an upsetting experience, feeling the life leave a tiny body like that. It was very tough for me to handle so I totally sympathise with you.

Just because the cat wasn't life threateningly ill does not mean that it was living an enjoyable existence. Not being in control of it's mind and body is not ideal. You did the right thing :hugs:

Thanks everyone.

I'm not really missing her because we had her for such a short time and she was so old that she really did just lie there, I never saw her do anything 'active' at all. Plus I knew we probably wouldn't have her long.

Joni really loved her though so that's sad. I hope we can get another pet at some point for Joni. Once I finish university and get a job and a place with a garden, we might be able to get a dog (if my hours suit it), so I don't think we'll get another cat in the meantime.

I think you're all right, it was the right decision. It's just that apart from weeing/pooing everywhere, she seemed to have an okay quality of life, so I feel really bad.

OH said that when he left the vet's room, he was crying and a little girl shouted, "Mummy, why is that man's cat basket empty?!", the mum was shhhhhing her, and the whole waiting room went quiet. I shouldn't laugh but i did when he told me. Kids are so inappropriate!

Definitely couldn't be a vet because the man who went in before us had to have his cat put down too and he came out in tears. And the vet said she remembered us from January when we had our other cat put down. That room must see a lot of crying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->